Taupau Manly's ace in the deck

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Breaking down structured defensive lines has never been so difficult, so you can understand why the Sea Eagles are so happy to have a guy like Martin Taupau at their disposal.

The wrecking ball up front is a defender's nightmare; is he going to smash the ball forward with late footwork or is he going to pop an offload to a speedster in support to force effort on effort plays in defence?

R088sSR.jpg

http://www.nrl.com/taupau-manlys-ace-in-the-deck/tabid/10874/newsid/109384/default.aspx

Last edited:
His performances this year have been the most devastating I've seen in as long as I can remember...and I started watching Manly in '66. Fifita may have had a brilliant first SOO, but Taupau does it every week. I'd have Taupau any day over Fifita

As the article also says: he seems to now have that controlled aggression. After his 2 week shoulder charge suspension (because he isn't sam burgess) he's only given away something like 3 penalties in 11 games.

He's in great form.

I have been giving Api a great deal of mention lately and probably overlooked this guy a little. He really showed us the way against the sharkies and we were better for it when he was on the field.

Darcy Lussick and Marty Taupau had so many similarities in their rookie seasons in the NRL and last year Darcy really cleaned up his game and became the form prop for the rest of the year. This year Marty is firing while Darcy tries to rediscover (hopefully) his 2016 form. With a bit of luck and hard work, it would be nice to have them both firing towards the finals. Well done to Marty so far!

I was more than impressed with Darcy last week. He made 104 metres in 20 minutes he played. That was about the same as what Marty made in his first stint.

Last edited:
I think he's finally worked out how to best utilise his strength while moving.

I was more than impressed with Darcy last week. He made 104 metres in 20 minutes he played. That was about the same as what Marty made in his first stint.
That's true but the metres against the starters are harder yards. Darcy is coming on with the benefit of having had Marty and co tenderise the opposition.

I was expecting a lot from him this year, but he's been even better than I could have hoped for. Seems likes he's figured out how to stay on the field, and every minute he's out there is valuable.

How much did he show up Fifi and halfaGallon. Those 2 combined didnt get within cooee of Marty.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2