Talk about Gun to Manly's Head Kind of Stuff !!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man

Cleal clause crucial to Lyon Manly deal
Monday Jul 10 20:23 AEST

Jamie Lyon's $2 million deal with Manly is believed to hinge on recruitment officer Noel Cleal remaining at the NRL club.

A secret clause is believed to have been inserted into Lyon's contract with the Sea Eagles after the club beat a host of rivals to the former Eels signature.

Lyon's friendship with Cleal has been credited as a major factor in his decision to sign with Manly.

While 24-year-old is tied to the Sea Eagles until 2010, it's understood the deal could be jeopardised should Cleal leave the club beforehand.

advertisement
"I can't confirm the confidential special conditions of his contract - he is very close to Noel Cleal, but I can't confirm that," Lyon's manager George Mimis said.

Cleal, the former Eels recruitment manager, was responsible for discovering Wee Waa product Lyon and convincing him to leave the country to join the Eels.

They have been close ever since, with Cleal stating it was unlikely Lyon would have chosen a rival NRL club after deciding to return to Australia.

"I think that's been pretty well documented," Cleal said of their association.

"He's best mates with my eldest (son) and all of that - we were always going to be hard to beat."

Asked if he was aware of the clause in Lyon's contract, Cleal said: "I don't know about that one."

Currently starring for St Helens in the English Super League, Lyon was still contracted to Parramatta until July 1 this year after walking out on the Eels in March 2004.

The Eels were hopeful Lyon would return for another stint with the club but he signed a four-year deal with the Sea Eagles instead.

Manly is confident there will be no repeat of his controversial exit from Parramatta, even with the clause in his contract.

"Not in the slightest," acting CEO Paul Cummings said last week when asked if he had any concerns about the manner of Lyon's departure from Parramatta.

"I don't want to go on with what happened at other clubs, but obviously if a player left like that to us, we would be disappointed too."

Asked about the clause in the contract, Cummings said: "I don't discuss contracts, we have a contract with him for four years and that's where it stands."

Manly has the option of playing Lyon at centre or five-eighth, positions in which he has starred this season for the Saints.

The Sea Eagles already boast one of the NRL's top centre pairings in Queensland representative Bell and New Zealand's Steve Matai, while the club has also re-signed pivot Travis Burns for next year.

"A player of his quality, he can play in the front row if he likes," a coy Cleal said.

"You can always lose one, come Origin time or at Test time with Matai - there's always the chance of losing someone for a while.

CONFLICT OF INTEREST ANYONE???? 8| 8| 8| 8| 8| 8| 8|

"Manly has the option of playing Lyon at centre or five-eighth, positions in which he has starred this season for the Saints."

Good news :dance: :dance:

Ryan calm down, jesus lol

id say about 25% of the layers in the NRL have aget outr clause of some kind , mostly to do with coaching, this one has been slightly fine tuned for crusher rather than Des, and too be blunt, thats probably a good thing as Crusher may well have more longevity.

Mate you could see the negative side of winning 5 millioncash !

So we have crusher till at least 2010 now as well, double bonus

if thats what it took to finalise the deal so be it.

Hardly an incentive for Cleal to do his job well, is it?

Why does the word Pandora's box come to mind?

And why is Cummings suggesting Lyon could play front row? Surely it wouldn't be because we only have one ddecent front rower to speak of?

Good story, for those who can see bull**** when they read it.

Of course they are going to continue the old, Jamie Unfaithful saga. It will continue into the start of next season too. He'll have an average game and all of a sudden "Is Jamie Ready to Walk". Thats until he makes origin, australia and wins vital match's.

The same happened to Orford. The playmaker who didn't live up to the price tag. Monas, we'll thats still going but one year later people wont accept that its BS.

Our club is stupid at times and what Jamie did in 04' appeared to outsiders was disgracful, but I highly doubt Jamie and our club would hinge their career and their premiership hopes / $2 million on one bloke leaving the club.

Time to think of more constructive things guys.

and please, if Wimma wanted to have a future in the game, would he do it again ? no other club on the planet would touch him.

I coudnt care less if theres a Clause that Dessie gives him a Hummer every week as long as he plays :lol: ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6