Talk About A Controversial Try!!!... a LOT of nerve.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake&TurboTomofBrookie

Reserve Grader
I'm not angry at Manly about their performance tonight. I'll tell you what I am blowing up and furious about though; the 'Benefit of the Doubt' try that Billy Slater was awarded that he shouldn't have been. On the replay it clearly showed that he had lost the ball. There was separation between the ball and his hand/arm. When the decision was given I was like "What?! Are you kidding me?!!!
Talk about a controversial try!!! Manly had so much speculation over their second 'Benefit of the Doubt' try against the Cowboys last friday night, about whether Foran touched the ball, which was started by Jonathon Thurston and escalated to, fans of other teams, backing him, believing the Cowboy's were robbed and they should've won. They'll certainly have a LOT of nerve to criticise Manly and not make ONE MURMUR, to or in the media, about that try that Slater was awarded; they'd (fans of other teams) just be happy that Manly's no longer in the finals.
Although the way I'm looking at it, Manly's made five or more finals appearances within the last five or more years and, next year, they're going to make another finals appearance. In 2008, they were the team that won the grand final in the Centenary Year of Rugby League. The Rugby League's 100th Aniversary Grand Final Winner's. No one can take that title away from us!
I'm proud that our boys made it all the way to the Preliminary finals, at least.
Starting from today/tonight, they'll have five- six months to freshen themselves up, recover from any injuries and get themselves fit in-time for next season.

at the time i looked at the others in the room watching with me & said 'that was a get square from last week'
still think that

I'm not a violent person, but I'm contemplating punching in the nose the next supporter who says to me that decision was karma from the cowboys game. Bunch of hypocrites.

Masked Eagle said:
I'm not a violent person, but I'm contemplating punching in the nose the next supporter who says to me that decision was karma from the cowboys game. Bunch of hypocrites.

Just ask them to logically explain what they mean.

That'll leave them in a more perplexed state then any punch could.

It's irrelevant that the "Try" was awarded against Manly, its the fact that it was awarded. I'd prefer we lost by controversial try than the way we did. Slater's "Try" is not something Im thinking about.

The two incidents are worlds apart.

In both tries that were awarded last week, you couldn't say conclusively whether Jorge got the ball on the line (although I believe he did) or whether Foz touched the ball (I honestly don't know).

But can you really say Slater didn't drop the ball ? There is not an ounce of doubt he did.

At least Gould blew up to his credit. I'm just glad that wasn't the 78th minute with Manly leading 18-16. (Or maybe it would be better....I don't know)

I'm missing a lot of the news over here.

But I assume the media has been relentless in pursuing this mistake and harrigon has come out to explain and apologise for it?

http://www.nrl.com/official-view-preliminary-finals/tabid/10874/newsid/70046/default.aspx

Referees co-coach Bill Harrigan answers your questions from the Preliminary Finals.

Storm v Sea Eagles

Did Billy Slater knock-on when he dove from dummy-half for the Storm’s second try?

Yes, Slater drops the ball and this try should not have been awarded.

What peeves me, is that Harrigan doesn't back his officials.
I'm sure they're acting on his rulings - on how to rule a try.
When his 'rulings' fail the fan/ commentator test, he changes his 'rulings' and says no try should have been awarded.
I'd prefer if the video refs explained 'their' rulings - Not Harrigan!

If anyone is to explain a decision, it should be the person who actually made the decision. What's the point in having referees hide behind a spokesman? It is undignified and makes them look like mummy's boys.

Getting explanations from Harrigan is pointless if you're looking to get to the truth - at best it is second-hand, warped through his filters, warped through his defensiveness and warped through his Everest-sized ego.

A leader needs to be focused on generalities and principles and not forever caught in specifics. His current public undermining of referees naturally undermines their confidence to make decisions.

Seems to me that Harrigan is coming out every week and saying "Yep we got that one wrong". Isn't it his job to maintain the standards ?

I will say that I prefer his approach to that of Robert Finch, which was just head in the sand, deny everything, no problem here.

Hollywood is certainly throwing some employees under some buses, but if the shoe fits.

Why doesn't he sit in the video room making the decisions? There were only two games last weekend. Then it's completely on him.

The media wanted Foran hung drawn and quartered re the "no" try in the Cowboys game but no such treatment for Slater not a whisper on what was an obvoius no try and they wonder why Manly supporters have it in for some of the so called media hacks.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4