Taking the 2 Points from Penalties

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How would you ever know, but i never understand even if down 14 or 16 id be taking the two.

In a cliff hanger vs a top side and you have your nose in front its a no brainer.
I know. I said a similar thing elsewhere.

I cannot believe that DCE apparently does not have the tactical wit to take two easy points in a game where your first try was off a bomb and the second one off an intercept.

But he’s done it before so we shouldn’t be surprised. Unless of course in this case he was overruled from above.

Last edited:
I know. I said a similar thing elsewhere.

I cannot believe it that DCE apparently does not have the tactical wit to take two easy points in a game where your first try was off a bomb and the second one off an intercept.

But he’s done it before so we shouldn’t be surprised. Unless of course in this case he was overruled from above.
DCE is a high octane adrenaline style captain.

Manly score a try and this doesn't get talked about.

Manly take the two and Souths score a converted try and people would ask why we took the two.

So many ways this can play out, and the way it did then it looks silly not to have taken the two.

But many other permutations where it wouldn't look great takin the two as well.

Last edited:

Manly take the two and Souths score a converted try and people would ask why we took the two.

So many ways this can play out and the way it did then it looks silly not to have taken the two.

I think i would have a set rule and stick to it.

A bit like blackjack, sit on 17.

eg 1st half always take the two if 13 on 13. 2nd half captains call.

Or never take the 2 regardless, always attempt to score.

In hindsight yes...but I reckon at that point, when 2 up it was a great opportunity to put the foot on the throat and kick down the door.
I would have gone for it hinking they were fairly gassed and even if no try get repeat set and keep pressure on, or at very least give them the ball deep in their red zone and bash them up, there's no better field position....if 2 down I say shoot for goal to level or if 6 up - shoot for goal to give an 8 point lead.
We went close, but in honesty some execution let us down along with the most desperate Souths defence Ive seen in a while.
All is good, we will be better for it and come back stronger imo

So many ways this can play out and the way it did then it looks silly not to have taken the two.

I think i would have a set rule and stick to it.

A bit like blackjack, sit on 17.

eg 1st half always take the two if 13 on 13. 2nd half captains call.

Or never take the 2 regardless, always attempt to score.
I like the analogy.

I do reckon they would have rules, and this was probably a 16 in blackjack terms

50/50 call. An easy 2 points in a tight game, good call.
Versus, Souths exhausted on their own line, could be a good chance of a crucial 6 pointer.
When the 2nd penalty came the stakes are raised even higher.
Easy 2 points, Souths would have happily given that up at the time.
But one more penalty frantically defending their line and they could have lost someone to the bin (well, at least in a normal non Souths-fairytale game anyway)

Possibly Manly is simply not used to battling out low-scoring games. It's a new learning experience.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4