Sunday School theology

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
THE headmaster of Australia's oldest independent school has written to parents and students to warn them of "inaccurate and damaging" assertions in The Da Vinci Code, which opens in cinemas today.

Dr Timothy Hawkes, headmaster at The King's School in Parramatta, says that although Dan Brown's novel is fictional, it wraps grains of truth in fantasy so persuasively that it has shaken the faith of many Christians.

While the entertainment quarter at Moore Park was abuzz last night, it was all for the Anthony Mundine and Danny Green fight.

The film preview for exhibitors, promotional partners and the media was a low-key event that attracted no protesters.

Dr Hawkes's letter, to be published tomorrow in the Anglican school's newsletter, The King's Herald, sets out a case for why many of the convincing premises in the novel are false.

The letter, obtained by the Herald, says that serious scholars believe Dan Brown has "not only sold a book, he has sold a lie".

"The way to disguise a lie is to wrap it in truth," Dr Hawkes said.

"Dan Brown not only peppers his novel with geographical and architectural accuracies, he salts away assertions which are both inaccurate and damaging.

"In a society made vulnerable through only a nominal understanding of its own faith, :roll: it would appear that many who read The Da Vinci Code are now questioning their Sunday school instruction."

A major source of error in the novel lies in the use of discredited Gnostic texts, which were written after the books of the Bible.

According to Dr Hawkes, the heretical texts are presented as having equal authority to biblical texts, including the Gospels, which were written closer to the time of Jesus. The claim that Jesus was married is based on the Gnostic text of Philip and was not taken seriously by scholars.

"Dan Brown makes use of the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Philip, and the Gospel of Mary, none of which will be found in your Bible," he said

Dr Hawkes addressed his school assembly yesterday, challenging his 1500 students to be mature and to not easily fall for inaccuracies of the type found in Dan Brown's novel.

The headmaster has also been outspoken in his support of intelligent design theory being discussed in classrooms, saying there were undeniable weaknesses in Darwin's theory of evolution.

And to think I thought it was just a quick read and fiction. Probably has done more for getting Christians to think about their teachings than since the Spanish Inquisition.

[quote author=Matabele]

THE headmaster of Australia's oldest independent school has written to parents and students to warn them of "inaccurate and damaging" assertions in The Da Vinci Code, which opens in cinemas today.

Dr Timothy Hawkes, headmaster at The King's School in Parramatta, says that although Dan Brown's novel is fictional, it wraps grains of truth in fantasy so persuasively that it has shaken the faith of many Christians.

While the entertainment quarter at Moore Park was abuzz last night, it was all for the Anthony Mundine and Danny Green fight.

The film preview for exhibitors, promotional partners and the media was a low-key event that attracted no protesters.

Dr Hawkes's letter, to be published tomorrow in the Anglican school's newsletter, The King's Herald, sets out a case for why many of the convincing premises in the novel are false.

The letter, obtained by the Herald, says that serious scholars believe Dan Brown has "not only sold a book, he has sold a lie".

"The way to disguise a lie is to wrap it in truth," Dr Hawkes said.

"Dan Brown not only peppers his novel with geographical and architectural accuracies, he salts away assertions which are both inaccurate and damaging.

"In a society made vulnerable through only a nominal understanding of its own faith, :roll: it would appear that many who read The Da Vinci Code are now questioning their Sunday school instruction."

A major source of error in the novel lies in the use of discredited Gnostic texts, which were written after the books of the Bible.

According to Dr Hawkes, the heretical texts are presented as having equal authority to biblical texts, including the Gospels, which were written closer to the time of Jesus. The claim that Jesus was married is based on the Gnostic text of Philip and was not taken seriously by scholars.

"Dan Brown makes use of the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Philip, and the Gospel of Mary, none of which will be found in your Bible," he said

Dr Hawkes addressed his school assembly yesterday, challenging his 1500 students to be mature and to not easily fall for inaccuracies of the type found in Dan Brown's novel.
The headmaster has also been outspoken in his support of intelligent design theory being discussed in classrooms, saying there were undeniable weaknesses in Darwin's theory of evolution.

[/quote1147996401

farking hell- they already dress these poor Kings bastards up in army uniforms...
He seems a bit all controlling- let them make up their own bloody mind!
Maybe he should just stick to doing his job in looking after the students best interests and stop pushing his own ideologies onto them...

Sunday school is a way of impressing beliefs upon a child before they have the chance to make there own.

As for the davinci code, who cares. Its not stopping you from believing your religion so why let it bother you.

Oh thats right, it'll make those akward christian "Do you believe in god" bbq talks that little bit harder to pull off.

It was funny watching the TV over here: one of the stations has been running this ad campaign for this huge competition around the movie (you know the type: when a trip to Italy blah blah blah). But after seeing these ads for weeks, I couldn't help but laugh when the 'resident film critic' of the station even bagged it out.

Man... those sorts of film critics are always so positive, they'd tell you to go watch paint dry and call it riveting so it must be pretty awful when he says the movie sucks, especially when the guys they write his cheques are spending a metric ****load on the whole thing...

Yeah, everyone I speak to that have seen it are completely "underwhelmed".

Good article in the Herald today - there are far more important things for Christians to do than to get into a lather about the Da Vinci code.

I guess you get that when "church" is built on tradition or celebrity, rather than what it should be built on.........

I won't be wasting my time watching something that detracts from the truth. I surprised you did Pete.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and God has given me a lovely home, child, wife, extended family & a happy environment.
It's too bad that people take these things for granted.

By the way. What came first? The chicken, or the egg?

Think about it people.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and God has given me a lovely home, child, wife, extended family & a happy environment.

I have a great job, a great family, a great partner, great friends. God didnt give me any of those, I have them because of who I decide to be.

[quote author=Ryan]

I have a great job, a great family, a great partner, great friends. God didnt give me any of those, I have them because of who I decide to be.

[/quote] So your brain is an accident of chance is it?

Five dead after church shooting
May 22, 2006

A MAN has shot and killed at least four people in a Louisiana church before kidnapping his three children and estranged wife, who was later found dead.

Shouldnt they have been protected? Who is this mysterious god and why does he allow people to be murdered in his church.

Five dead after church shooting
May 22, 2006

A MAN has shot and killed at least four people in a Louisiana church before kidnapping his three children and estranged wife, who was later found dead.

Shouldnt they have been protected? Who is this mysterious god and why does he allow people to be murdered in his church.

So if he turns this man's bullets into feathers, what does that do to the free will and "choices" you espoused earlier in the thread?

Have you been to the byso school of pointing out semantics to avoid answering questions you don't have the answers for?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4