Sun-Herald: "Abbott promises Brookie a lifeline"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Only an idiot would believe any politician saying they will bring money to Brookvale oval

Supernintendo Chalmers said:
not even a super stadium where every seat was a spa bath with Penthouse Pets as massuses could get me to vote for this galah.

**** I would vote for Pauline Hanson if she promised that!

not even a super stadium where every seat was a spa bath with Penthouse Pets as massuses could get me to vote for this galah.

The country is going down the gurgler due to the inept government and all you want to do is sing "Solidarity Forever"

Peter C said:

The country is going down the gurgler due to the inept government and all you want to do is sing "Solidarity Forever"

Worse than a gurgler more like going down the toilet!!

All the politicians there were Manly supporters - Abbott, Baird, Hazzard and Bishop. They are are only hope of getting funding for Brookie.

Copy is here with more (i think) on the link:

"Tony Abbott has given the strongest indication yet that Brookvale Oval won't die if he is elected as prime minister. The leader of the federal opposition was a special guest at Manly's season launch at Brookvale Oval on Friday night. Other political heavyweights in attendance included the NSW Treasurer, Mike Baird, the state Minister for Planning, Brad Hazzard, and Liberal MP Bronwyn Bishop. The NSW government's stadiums strategy has outlined plans to shift funding away from suburban grounds and towards major venues such as ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium. However Abbott raised hopes that one of the NRL's most dilapidated grounds, Brookvale Oval, could finally get the money required to bring it up to standard. ''I am confident that [Manly] will be doing well come September and I hope you aren't the only ones in this room doing well come September,'' Abbott told guests in the Chairman's Lounge, in reference to the coming federal election. ''Opposition is OK but government is better. Opposition is about promising, government is about delivering. I hope I will be in a position to deliver to this club, to this code and to this stadium come September. I look forward to working with my friends and colleagues, the state Treasurer Mike Baird and the state Minister for Planning, Brad Hazzard. If we've got the planning right, if we've got the finances right then we can deliver. And I've got my coach Bronwyn Bishop to make sure I perform on and off the field.'' Former Senate president Kerry Sibraa is heading a Brookvale Oval Committee tasked with finding ways to salvage the historic ground. ''It was great to see Tony there and other respected politicians,'' Sea Eagles general manager David Perry said. ''It was positive what he said in regards to the future of Brookvale Oval.'' Dave Smith will meet Manly officials this week to discuss the issue. The ARLC chief executive is also scheduled to meet Abbott on March 13 to discuss a range of issues including the NRL's own stadiums funding wish list. There are also tentative plans for him to sit down with the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, this week. Smith said: ''I think rugby league will be more professional in terms of its interaction, we will want to work more closely with government - both state and federal.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/abbott-promises-brookie-a-lifeline-20130302-2fd27.html

The talk from Abbott is the strongest I have heard in a long time.
Good work Kerry Sibraa and the committee. Keep it going, you seem to have Brooky getting the attention it needs from the people that can help.

I also read in that column that Symond's from the Rooters will be here for training on Monday to cover Glen Stewart. More good news and finally the truth is printed about what happened at the leagues club A G M last week.

Its a better read than that Telecrap Throthfield anti Manly rubbish.

Earnie the Eagle said:
Q. When do politicians lie?

A. Whenever they open their mouth.
Chapter headings for the training manual used by both major political parties in Australia..

1) Lies
2) Big Lies
3) Lies Under Oath
4) Lies Off The Record

Lies are their tools of trade. They'll tell whoever they're talking to at the time what they think they want to hear. I'll get excited when I see some action.

Can't see much cash promised over the next 2-3 years.

I can't see the LNP having any spare cash around once they get into office as they concentrate in more important infrastructure projects, and a Labor re-election is no good noting Albanese has already said a firm 'get stuffed' to any proposal for funding for Brookie.

The only short-term chance I can see is for widespread support for a new 'regional' boutique stadium to service the Northern Sydney area, covering for multiple codes.

A Manly at Brookvale specific case just doesn't have the grunt needed to push through at any level, under any government, as far as I can see.

We have more of a chance of a Brookie lifeline under Mr Abbot then we will ever have from the Albenese "get stuffed to all the Manly people Labor party .

He is looking good to be leading the country by year's end. So he had better deliver or I'm going to have nothing but seriously negative things to post for the following years. He has been walking around Brookie making promises for a decade so he had better have a quick plan as he has been talking with all the stakeholders for yonks. No excuses.

Agree with Hampster,not enough political miles in it for anyone.It may actually work against us as if if Abbot wins and goes down the cost cutting route as it will just look too political for him to upgrade his beloved Manly while cutting everything else.

Is he really a big Manly fan or is that spin?I have not seen him at games or around the club at all but I suppose he wouldn't have much spare time.

ManlyBacker said:
He is looking good to be leading the country by year's end. So he had better deliver or I'm going to have nothing but seriously negative things to post for the following years. He has been walking around Brookie making promises for a decade so he had better have a quick plan as he has been talking with all the stakeholders for yonks. No excuses.

His last promise was in the lead-up to elections lost, and they weren't for big changes to Brookvale.

There is now no promise but to 'look at' the future of Brookvale, in conjunction with other bodies. Until you hear a dollar value in this current financial climate, let's not confuse a 3-6 year ago promise to what can be offered now.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8