Stuart Davis

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He had excellent timing, and would accelerate on to the ball. There are some skills like that which are different from pure speed. Blokes like oudenryn who were really fast but had no footy skills didn’t do as well.

There was an easts player who was reportedly the fastest in the game (forget his name now) who rarely knew how to put himself in the right position to score.

I think in that 87 premiership year that the bug was injured for a while and came back through reserve grade. In his return reserve grade game he scored about 3 tries and was a class above. He always seemed pretty fast to me live.
That East's player or winger may have been Shane Whereat although i think that he also played with the Eels for a while . Stuey Davis and Dave Ronson , both local juniors and quite reasonable players [ and cost effective wingers ] complimenting that star studded Manly back line in 87 . Also i think that this situation suited Arko to a tee at that particular time .

That East's player or winger may have been Shane Whereat although i think that he also played with the Eels for a while . Stuey Davis and Dave Ronson , both local juniors and quite reasonable players [ and cost effective wingers ] complimenting that star studded Manly back line in 87 . Also i think that this situation suited Arko to a tee at that particular time .

Doug Daley was the CEO of Manly in 1987, Arko was the chairman of the NSWRL.

Yep that’s him whereat.

Bozo seemed to think pretty highly of the bug.

2 iron with ears was his moniker, and yes a real rough diamond was Stuey. I rememeber Hollywood & Zorba going beserk every time he touched the ball!
Yes that's right. They loved him.
If I remember correctly his brother Greg, also a winger played lowers for us as well.
I'm open to correction on that though.

How good was the crowd... Footy in the 80's was the best...
How about the shoulder pads.. lol... I was the baddest 10yo in town with my shoulder pads in.

I only ever got to see Davis play twice, and sadly both were on video.

The 1987 GF win and the game we humiliated what the Pommy press had called the best Lions team to ever tour Australia (yeah, got that right didn't they lol).

30-0.....almost has that 40-0 ring to it ;)

My impressions were that he was fairly pacey but not fastest in the game pacey, he was elusive.....and as skinny as a match with the wood shaved off. But for a bloke who wouldn't get fat unless he'd have lived at Maccas, he didn't shy from hard work.

That East's player or winger may have been Shane Whereat .

Shane Whereat......a professional runner who had just about zero business as a first grade rugby league player, even hidden out on the wing. Same with Lee Oudenryn really (a soccer junior which explains a lot :p ). Both could run but that was about it. Oh, wait, I forgot.....Oudenryn could at least kick the occasional goal due to having a decent place kick with his soccer background.

Whereat was supposed to be the fastest player in the game during his brief time.....yet I have video of him almost being run down during the 1994 World Seven's by.....of all people Craig Field (when he was at Souffs). And Whereat wasn't exactly in cruise mode while Field chased him for 50 metres....he was pushing it.

Davis was a around a long time. Not many from early 1980s were there 1987 grand final. He seems to be in this 1982 Manly tries package once or twice. On the other wing Ribot looked far better than i remembered. Phil Blake passing to himself at 3m50sec is pretty funny!

I reckon I was at that game maxta. I remember being at a game at Henson Park and Eadie missed a conversion right in front to win the game. Score finished 10 all.
I was there and was threatened with a stint in the slots from a senior member of the local constabulary if I didn’t pipe down.

Hey Stuart Davis is my dad, just letting you know he is still alive, lives in Mudgee now and doing well. Runs the poker at the local club and still follows and watched the manly games.
Good stuff Mitchell.
Stuey is a very well remembered player.
Big part of our 87 premiership team and I'll not forget the skinny winger swerving his way down the sideline and finishing off another try scoring movement by diving over in the corner.
A very elusive player and glad to hear he is doing well.

Hey Stuart Davis is my dad, just letting you know he is still alive, lives in Mudgee now and doing well. Runs the poker at the local club and still follows and watched the manly games.
is he still a mechanic?

One of my favourites
Stuart Davis was a very under rated , consistent and reliable defensive and attacking player . He was nothing to look at but his was all heart and played with heart . He looked like olive oil on steroids
51mi1cGZoPL._SY450_.jpg

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8