Still favourites, but I am not as confident

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
torana355 said:
MPC75 said:
torana355 said:
haha i got on them at 3.40. Still thinking how i will spend my 340 bucks :)

Can't believe you would bet against your own team. Each to their own I guess. So who were you barracking for when it was 20 - 18, knowing that you had $340 on the line?

When your team has that many players out you are going to lose 9/10 so why not put a bet on? I was cheering for Manly all the way mate, i was still pissed off even though i had won the cash.

Kudos to you for admitting on a Sea Eagle forum that you bet against them, that takes balls. For me personally I just could never bet against them.
I'm not going to bring up the true supporter debate, done that in the past and upset a few on here.

the mauler said:
Dont know how you can bet against your own team. Thats poor form imo. Dont know how to spend your money??? Go and buy yourself a Parra jersey :dodgy:

Supporting a Team and Gambling are two separate things. Just because i put a bet on another team does not mean i support them. When ANY team is missing key players like Gift and Killer they are going to be worse for it and when i see odds like Parra had im going to jump on it.

I agree with torana. It doesn't mean you support them any more or less

Couldn't bring myself to bet against my team. It's just not right willing them to lose so I can profit by them.

I don't bet but I'm leading my tipping competition because I believe I can separate my heart from my brain (figuratively speaking), and I have tipped against Manly in each of the last three matches simply because I thought they would lose. I was cheering hard for Manly, of course, and upset when they lost, but none of the loses were unexpected.
I still think we will go back-to-back, but only if we have minimal injuries. There need not be any panic, even if we lose against Penrith.
I must admit thought that tipping against your team is a hollow feeling. I'd much rather come last in the tipping comp and see Manly prosper than visa versa.

DSM5 said:
Couldn't bring myself to bet against my team. It's just not right willing them to lose so I can profit by them.

You are looking at it the wrong way.

If you win the bet you are at least happy with that, if manly win you are even more happy and the bet doesn't matter. We were very unlikely to win last week, same as with the dragons. Seeing a chance to make a few for the punters out there is perfectly rational and sane.

For the record I don't bet, my wife spends enough of my dollars without pouring more down the drain on the punt

I agree with Torana also. I picked Parra in my footy tab, but it didn't matter as I was already knocked out by the Friday night games. Why would anyone bet on something if they thought they would lose their money? If I think Manly will win I'll put money on them, if I think they will lose my money goes on the other team. I still want Manly to win though. At no stage would I will Manly to lose. I don't even think of my bets during the game. I usually just check my ticket when I get home.

The Who said:
I don't bet but I'm leading my tipping competition because I believe I can separate my heart from my brain (figuratively speaking), and I have tipped against Manly in each of the last three matches simply because I thought they would lose. I was cheering hard for Manly, of course, and upset when they lost, but none of the loses were unexpected.
I still think we will go back-to-back, but only if we have minimal injuries. There need not be any panic, even if we lose against Penrith.
I must admit thought that tipping against your team is a hollow feeling. I'd much rather come last in the tipping comp and see Manly prosper than visa versa.

This is the way i think about it also. I was still upset that we lost to Parra and i would have been stoked if we had of won and lost my money. There are some juicy odds for Penrith this week but i will not be betting against Manly on that game because i think we will win it comfortably.

DSM5 said:

I never hope Manly will lose when i bet against them, never!!!

When i bet against Manly on the odd occasion, like Torana, when we have players out and big odds on hand, i often lose. I don't care though as my team has pulled off a win.

Its win, win i think. Manly win you are happy. Manly lose you get upset and mad but after the emotion goes, the money helps a little to ease the pain of a loss.

I agree with torana.It is easy to separate the two unless you are betting in thousands.I also tipped Sharks,Saints and Parra in the tipping comp and backed the sharks with the bookies.I hated each and every loss.

The odds for Penrith are ridiculous.They flogged Parra,easily accounted for a roosters side playing well and were right in a good quality clash against a team that led us 17 nil.They also had the measure of the bulldogs for the best part of the match.With the exception of Gordon they are injury free and are well coached.The game is on a Monday night and I am yet to see us put in a convincing performance on a Monday for ages,if ever.It is an even money bet at best.I would have Penrith clear favourites if Foran is out.

As a long time supporter and punter I have bet against Manly in a FootyTab Pick the Round and even in a tipping comp where there is the perverse pleasure of winning both ways, but I have never pulled $100 out of my pocket and put it on the opposition. Couldn't do it no matter how juicy the odds. But I won't criticise anyone who does - it just isn't for me.

Great to see some serious footy talk back. We are in a very difficult situation with the injuries and the positional moves suggested are good ones. The extended recuperation time should help this week. Buhrer would have been stuffed after the Saints game but you have to admire what he can do.

Still, $2.75 on the Panthers is crazy stuff and there is no way I would take the $1.45 on us. As Sue says, there isn't much in this one.

Nice to read all the stories about Manly supporters betting against the team. Lovely to read. I am still unconvinced as to the merits of profiting by seeing them go down. Unlike those punters, I always consider we'll win. Against Parra, like all the pundits in the papers, I saw a win, and did so up till about the 75th minute, as I did against the Goons. But I'm not condemning those who want to win at the tote. Unlike most who seem to punt against the team, I don't need the cash that much.

how would you know if I or anyone else need the money DSM5?

I ,like all punters on here I imagine,am talking about minor bets that really doesnt have much effect on my wallet.I suppose it is just that I have professionally been a futures trader all my life and been betting on horses since I was 16.I think it is just an odds thing with me and if I see a silly price I have to take it.Unlike the horses where I bet quite heavily I would never have a large bet against the Eagles and believe me when I do have a bet I am very happy to lose.I am just as keen to back them when I see value. e.g 2008

The sharks odds were quite ridiculous really,as were Parramattas with Hayne back and our injuries.Even saints were a good price.We cant win at WIN even in our premiership years so why we would win that one with 3 or4 of our champs out I dont know.I have a laugh when I continually see other teams pack referred to as nuffies etc(eg sharks,saints)-there are no nuffies in the NRL.If you turn up weakened or with an ordinary attitude you will generally lose.

To tip Manly every week regardless of circumstances and form,like some, is very nice but rarely works.I love people who do that,shows their love of the Eagles,but to criticise others who take a more considered approach gets you nowhere.Teams will win and lose games based on circumstances,injuries etc each and every week and predicting the Eagles will get beat in a particular game is not to say they can't win a competition.Most premiers will lose 6 or 7 games a year.I want them to win every game but it simply doesnt happen - the prize is the GF

DSM5 said:

Look at the bet against us as insurance for a poor result.

I'm sure the bets we're talking about here aren't the type that sees you lose a house, so if it is lost, then no harm and ultimately the boys winning takes precedence, without question.

I bet regularly against the spread when we get a start. Heaps of value in it and we don't have to lose to collect.

As I said Susan, I won't make money out of our losses, however small the 'profit'. i don't condemn people who do, it's as I said, I just can't understand it at all. It's sort of like sitting at home in Sydney watching our games instead of going out to Brookie. I just can't understand it.

Fair enough.You are a very lucky man you have not been infected with a virulent virus known commonly as "the punt".It makes men do very strange things.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4