Steve Smith

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Have heard big things about him for a couple of years, and finally seeing him a decent amount this summer, he doesn't look half the player spoken about and at times looks terrible

Does he play the same way at 1st class level as he has been so far in the internationals ? And maybe picked too soon ?

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Have heard big things about him for a couple of years, and finally seeing him a decent amount this summer, he doesn't look half the player spoken about and at times looks terrible

Does he play the same way at 1st class level as he has been so far in the internationals ? And maybe picked too soon ?

1st class cricket is an absolute joke,we have Hauritz hitting centuries,Jacques a few years ago hit himself a 300 and something in grade and im sure a double century in shield cricket

Smith is going down the same path as White.

Bowling will all but dissapear as he will concertrate on batting - as thats where he keeps getting picked for

Has bowled just 3 overs in the last 3 matches.

Yeah that's what I have been worried about - we need a leg spinner a hell of a lot more than we need another lower order slogger. 

The selectors should have held him back a couple more years. 

The Gronk link said:
The selectors should have held him back a couple more years. 

I'm sure they would have loved too Matt, but this years results along with a huge media push didnt give them much choice.

Has a good eye but not a classic technique by any means. I certainly wouldn't rate him as the 6th best Test batsman in the country by any stretch of the imagination.

Similarly his bowling isn't anywhere near Test standard either. Strange selection for test side in my book, but just a continuation of this obsession the selectors have with having an "all rounder" in the side. Just another Symonds, McDonald, White or North in my book. 

He needs to work on his bowling as his priority and any runs he gets should be a bonus.

they said the same thing about Watson a few years ago C&C.

Sometimes perseverace can pay off.

Yes you are right, I was a Watson hater, but have been made to eat my words. In fairness though, the biggest criticism of Watson was his inability to string together games because of injury. Now that he can play regularly the consistent results have come with it. I would like to see him used as a bowler more often though, because I think he was underutilised this Ashes series. And Watson has always had a reasonably solid batting technique (as long as you don't get too critical about his penchant for LBW's and bowleds), much better than Smith's that is for sure.

Smith has potential for sure and I'm happy for them to give him a go, as long as it is a reasonable go and not a Phil Hughes go. But I think he would be better served concentrating on and honing his bowling craft in Shield cricket for a season or two.

Chip & Chase link said:
Yes you are right, I was a Watson hater, but have been made to eat my words. In fairness though, the biggest criticism of Watson was his inability to string together games because of injury. Now that he can play regularly the consistent results have come with it. I would like to see him used as a bowler more often though, because I think he was underutilised this Ashes series. And Watson has always had a reasonably solid batting technique (as long as you don't get too critical about his penchant for LBW's and bowleds), much better than Smith's that is for sure.

Smith has potential for sure and I'm happy for them to give him a go, as long as it is a reasonable go and not a Phil Hughes go. But I think he would be better served concentrating on and honing his bowling craft in Shield cricket for a season or two.

My greatest concern is his inept running between the wickets

Of course, only since coming to NSW has he been able to string good consistent performances together.

Should own up here...having just moved to QLD i am holding onto the NSW refugee status!

I've lived in VIC for 8 years now. People keep asking me when I will call myself a Victorian?

My response is always the same. When I have lived in VIC longer than I did in NSW, then I'll call myself a Victorian.

My plan is to be dead before then.

hehe as a relatively young fella I hope he isnt halfway through his time, or he could always move back to NSW

Suprised no one was here having a go at Smith for his duck since he got a wicket in his first over.

From 8/142 Marsh & Bollinger did exceptionally well to get 230 and bowling has been great to have them 5/96 needing 6 an over.

The boy is starting to look settled in a bit more. If he keeps improving at this rate, he'll be a vital member of at least the 50 over team quite soon.

As many of us have predicted, he looks a far better player when some importance is placed on his bowling. I really hope that the Aussie staff develop his bowling. Surely that is where he offers us the most value.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6