Steve Rogers Found Dead

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevie

Reserve Grader
Football legend found dead

January 03, 2006

FORMER Cronulla Sharks and Australian rugby league great Steve Rogers has been found dead in his unit in Sydney's southern suburbs.
Sharks management confirmed that the 51-year-old had just returned from an overseas holiday with police saying there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

Sharks football manager Greg Pierce said the news had come as a great shock.

"He was due back at work on Monday and I was due to go off for a couple of weeks ... he had been on holidays in Europe for a period and we were just going to (talk) about the state of the nation kind of thing – and it's just quite unbelievable the fact that he won't be there," Pierce said.

Rogers, 51, was the chief executive of the Cronulla club and had an outstanding career as a player with the Sharks and the Australian rugby league team.

The gifted centre played 199 Games for Cronulla between 1973 and 1982 with a farewell season in 1985.

He scored 1255 points for the club during those years including 82 tries and 502 goals.

In the intervening years Rogers played with St George, featuring in 25 games.

His representative career was no less impressive, the skilful back featuring in 19 games for NSW and 21 Tests for the Kangaroos.

Considered one of the greatest outside backs the game has seen, Rogers formed a devastating centre combination with Parramatta great Mick Cronin when they played for the national side.

Rogers' son, Mat, was a former player with the Sharks, also representing at state and national level before making a successful move to rugby union in 2002.

Terrible news. Didnt know him personally but i recall as a kid, watching Steve play. And what a gifted player. At the very least he has passed that on to his son. Come back to League Matt !

My sympathies to the Rogers family.

Sludge was one of the best centres ever in rugby league. Another one gone too soon.

On Nine MSN it says: "Rugby league great Steve Rogers left a series of notes for his family before his sudden death at his unit in the Sydney beachside suburb of Cronulla, the Sydney Morning Herald has reported"

Also interesting that " Police said they were awaiting results of a post mortem and the cause of death was "unclear" "

Whatever the cause of death, may he RIP and was an awesome player to watch!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2