Steve Menzies the best since Bob Fulton

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Steve Menzies the best since Bob Fulton

By Dean Ritchie

July 18, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24037556-5001023,00.html

MANLY godfather Ken Arthurson last night rated departing Steve Menzies the second greatest Sea Eagle in history - ahead of club legends like Graham Eadie, Geoff Toovey, Malcolm Reilly and Cliff Lyons.

As Menzies announced he was finally leaving Brookvale after 16 gruelling seasons to sign a one-year deal with English Super League club Bradford, Arthurson stunned Manly fans by declaring Menzies "the best since Bozo''.

"There is no question Bozo was Manly's best player, but Menzies is right up there. Just a hair's breadth behind. Beaver is definitely No.2,'' said Arthurson.

"After him, maybe guys like Cliff Lyons, Graham Eadie, Geoff Toovey and Malcolm Reilly.''

While Arthurson's comments will spark much debate in league circles, there is no man better qualified than Manly patriarch Arthurson - the official who built the Sea Eagles into a premiership power.

In an era where club loyalty seemingly runs a distant second to cash, Steve Menzies is a shining example of a one-club man.

In fact, according to those who play alongside him, no one comes close in terms of staying true to his club.

"He's the most loyal bloke in rugby league," Manly captain Matt Orford said yesterday. "The word legend is thrown around so much but I think Beaver is a legend, not just at Manly but in rugby league."

The decision by Menzies, 34, to sign a one-year deal with English Super League club Bradford was made because he could never play against his beloved Sea Eagles.

Through grand final success, grand final heartbreak, Northern Eagles and Super League, Menzies stayed at Brookvale - so his decision to play in England rather than with a rival NRL club was an easy one to make.

"Playing against Manly wasn't an option," he said yesterday.

"I grew up in this area and have lived here all my life. Manly is the only club I wanted to play with, right back to when I was six or seven.

"I love the club. I didn't really want to go elsewhere. A couple of times I was offered good money to leave but every time I made the decision to stay I woke the next morning and knew I had made the right decision for myself. I wouldn't give up my career for anyone."

Menzies will play his 339th first-grade game for Manly against Parramatta tonight - still 10 behind Terry Lamb's all-time record.

If Menzies plays every game and Manly reach the grand final, he will equal Lamb's record. He can only better it if Manly lose in week one of the finals and play an additional match.

In his career, Menzies has scored a remarkable 171 tries - the most ever for a rugby league forward.

"It was a tough decision to make but Bradford are a solid club who are very prepared and are very professional," Menzies said.

"I'll have to prove myself to the young guys over there.

"I don't think it's dawned on me just yet that I am leaving. It's a sad time but there is now a new adventure and new challenge ahead of me.

"I'd like to play forever. Who knows, if the body holds up I may sneak into another season over in England."

Manly players have already spoken privately about sending Menzies out with a premiership title.

The Eagles are outright leaders and already there is a feeling they will meet Melbourne again in the grand final.

"It would be ideal to go out with a premiership," Menzies said.

"But I don't think all the build-up will affect me. Hopefully the pages will write themselves."

Fro link said:
Steve Menzies never went to Easts.

Exactly. He never went anywhere to chase the dollar & in my book his loyalty to the club puts him clear ahead of Bozo.

Jethro link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=177904.msg190334#msg190334 date=1216338058]
Steve Menzies never went to Easts.

Exactly. He never went anywhere to chase the dollar & in my book his loyalty to the club puts him clear ahead of Bozo.
[/quote]

Agreed you can't go past loyalty for mine.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4