Steve Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-centre-steve-matai-to-draw-on-brother8217s-fight-for-life/story-fni3gnk5-1226730683882
Manly centre Steve Matai to draw on brother's fight for life
CHRIS GARRY THE COURIER-MAIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2013 2:36PM

SEA Eagles centre Steve Matai hopes to harness the incredible strength of his disabled brother, who fought back from the brink of death earlier this year, in Sunday's NRL grand final.

Doctors told the Matai family that 38-year-old Maika was a "good chance" not to make it through an operation to untwist his bowls in Sydney three months ago.

Maika, who requires 24-hour care and can't speak, had taken his first plane trip to attend the wedding of Matai's sister.

Following an in-flight complication, Maika was rushed to intensive care upon landing.

Matai, who began his rugby league career under Trevor Gillmeister at the Ipswich Jets, is widely viewed as a thug for his shuddering defence which has gone wrong on several occasions.

Yet he is the opposite character off-field.

Matai said his brother continued to defy all odds and he yearned to possess his fight against the Sydney Roosters in the NRL grand final.

"If I can show just a bit of his strength this Sunday ... that will go a long way," he told The Courier-Mail.

"We are so happy he's still here. That's the main thing.

"It was his first time on a plane. He flew over for my sister's wedding in June but when he landed he had to go straight to hospital and miss the wedding.

"It was hard to be happy for my sister when my brother was in intensive care.

"He had twisted bowels. They had to operate and untwist them. They didn't give him much of a chance.

"He's had it before and they said if it happened again there was a good chance he wouldn't pull through. Our family has been through a lot.

"He pulled through. He's been in and out of hospital the past few months.

"We have a strong family and rally around him. I will be thinking of him during the grand final.

"He's always on my mind and in my heart."

Matai credits his time west of Brisbane in 2004 with turning him into the hitman he now is.

The Jets recruited Matai as a wild Auckland 18-year-old who was raw in technique but highly aggressive.

"I was only 18, playing local footy in Auckland, my manager said there is a team looking for a couple of young centres so I came over and haven't looked back," he said.

"Gilly changed my tackling style. I was taught throughout the grades to lead with the same leg and same shoulder and Gilly was the opposite.

"He told me to get power of my back foot.

"Being in that environment at Ipswich set-up my NRL career. It was a great time.''

Matai then switched to Wynnum Manly, but wasn't there for long.

"Wynnum sent me straight to Manly in the pre-season because they had a feeder relationship and I have never gone back,'' he said.
:angel:
[attachment=683]

Sea Eagles star Steve Matai shows his faith with special tattoo
JON GEDDES MANLY DAILY OCTOBER 01, 2013 5:35PM

SEA Eagles grand final centre Steve Matai doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve but he carries his faith on his arm.

The rugged three-quarter has a special tattoo on his bulging bicep to remind him of what has been a very important part of his life.

The prominent message says "John 3:16" which refers to a famous biblical quotation.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begot Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life," the passage reads.

Matai is one of the most fearsome players in the NRL who will be a key figure for the Sea Eagles in Sunday's clash against the Roosters with his powerful running and bone-rattling defence.

But there is another side to the international centre who has never forgotten where he came from and that there is a lot more to life than just a playing footy.

"I was brought up in the church back home in New Zealand with mum and dad," Matai said.

With his strong Samoan heritage Matai would go to Sunday school and the lessons he learnt have stayed with him through his adult life and successful football career.

"It is a big thing for me, I still believe in God and believe he is there," Matai said.

"There is a strong faith in me."

Matais got his impressive tattoo back in 2006.

"I thought it looked good and thought it was good for me," he said.

"It is just to remind me of church back home and my family.

"It is always big in the Samoan community going to church

"Everything is church for the Samoan people, they give everything for the church."

Matai does not deliberately say a prayer in the dressing room before a game.

"It is more just thinking of Him when I run out and going 'Just Protect me, no injuries, play the best I can'," he said.

As he focuses Sunday's game Matai believes that this current Sea Eagles outfit is better than the one who were premiers two years ago.

"We are a bit more experienced," Matai said.

"I think it was Chezza's (Daly Cherry-Evans) first year in 2011 when we won it.

"Now they have been playing two years together I think we are bit better.

"We still have to turn up on Sunday and put a good 80 minute performance together and hopefully we will do that."

:dodgy: God ain't listening with all the injuries that Matai has suffered :-/
[attachment=684]

Never have too much Matai :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hB4iY4rRQA

Nice article. I never would have picked Steve for being a religious person.

I think the change in rules this year with the shoulder charge has actually helped Steve. Too often in the past he would go in hard to shoulder charge someone and get it totally (unintentionally) wrong. This year he hasn't been able to put on his trademark hits and this has resulted in him spending less time on the sidelines. This year must be his best year in recent years for suspensions.

SwornEagle said:
Love Steve's style of play. Hope he's leaving something special to finish off 2013.

Stevie's Mum will be here - her first GF ! :angel:

Hope he score at least one try for her - or a hat-trick :idea::D

Since Menzies retired Matai has become my favourite player. You just know that when Steve plays he will always give it his best, I can ask for nothing else from any player.

Not surprising that Gilly had some hand in Stevies defensive qualities. He wasn't called The Axe for nothing.

Stevie reminds me of that other Samoan wrecking machine Brian Lima. Youtube him and see some of his specials.

And to think back to the pastings I used to cop for saying the guy could be a reasonable 1st grader :p lol

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2