Steve Matai hit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The moral of the story

Raise our glasses to Steve Matai

and Raise our Standards Manly back line
Hear hear Bozo.
As much as admire Morgan and Brad, your videos remind me of the incredible talent we once had in our centres with Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon.

Matai was a hit man firstly and had opposition in fear and often playing away from him
In attack had a good cut back and balance - reasonable pace at best
Loved every hit but always recall Groth Jnr in his prime and never taken backwards by even 2-3 defenders....till Matai cut him in half like a machete.
Met him through Matt Ballin back in 2007 and when took the kids to meet a few Manly boys - he just says quietly - " Hi - I'm Steve"....then picked up my baby daughter for some photos, nicest bloke you could meet.

Matai was a hit man firstly and had opposition in fear and often playing away from him
In attack had a good cut back and balance - reasonable pace at best
Loved every hit but always recall Groth Jnr in his prime and never taken backwards by even 2-3 defenders....till Matai cut him in half like a machete.
Met him through Matt Ballin back in 2007 and when took the kids to meet a few Manly boys - he just says quietly - " Hi - I'm Steve"....then picked up my baby daughter for some photos, nicest bloke you could meet.

He may have spoken quietly but did you then go:

OMG STEVE MATAI!!!! WOOOOO...I LOVE YOU STEVE!!!!! LET'S BE FRIENDS...!

(lol)

Matai was always my second fav behind Snake. He was an entertainment machine.

I will say one thing about him though...he was a huge hitter but not necessarily a great defensive centre. He could whack better than anyone I've ever seen play the game but he had a poor read in him and a missed tackle. The 2011 GF is a good example; Elijah Taylor stood him up for a try.

As much as Parker and Harper don't whack like Skivvy, they are arguably more effective. I don't say that lightly because I would sub both out for Skivvy in an instant but I don't want to let emotion get in the way of the fact that Matai is commonly mistaken for a great defensive centre, simply because of his incredible ability to chop blokes in half.

Matai was always my second fav behind Snake. He was an entertainment machine.

I will say one thing about him though...he was a huge hitter but not necessarily a great defensive centre. He could whack better than anyone I've ever seen play the game but he had a poor read in him and a missed tackle. The 2011 GF is a good example; Elijah Taylor stood him up for a try.

As much as Parker and Harper don't whack like Skivvy, they are arguably more effective. I don't say that lightly because I would sub both out for Skivvy in an instant but I don't want to let emotion get in the way of the fact that Matai is commonly mistaken for a great defensive centre, simply because of his incredible ability to chop blokes in half.
Very good summary
Some of those "up and ins" definitely compromised his inside and outside defenders, but his shots were up with the best.
Favourite hitters include Ian Roberts, Terry Randall and Matai was good as any - though if you get a chance to look up Terry Randall's hit on Dallas Donnelly, will be on your highlights reel 100%

Easily my fav of the recent glory era. I hope he has found his peace outside of football as he earnt it

He aroused the crowd Lifted his forwards and Inspired his backs

One of the most Talented Toughest Inspirational and passionate players ever

Very good summary
Some of those "up and ins" definitely compromised his inside and outside defenders, but his shots were up with the best.
Favourite hitters include Ian Roberts, Terry Randall and Matai was good as any - though if you get a chance to look up Terry Randall's hit on Dallas Donnelly, will be on your highlights reel 100%
Randall "hit" more often than any player I have seen. Rambo was good for hitting too but he was more of a missile.

HaHa, I just googled "Terry Randall's hit on Dallas Donnelly" and got two pages of hits for this site alone. A very popular "hit over the years". Although I always enjoyed Tooves putting the chief on his arze
Randal hurt often. He slowed down a lot of oppositions hitting them in the ribs and gut. He was a bigger "axe" than Gilmeister ever was. One of the toughest to ever play the game.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4