Steve Matai backs Dylan Walker to become a star five-eighth for the Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
HARDMAN centre Steve Matai has gone on the front foot to back Dylan Walker, predicting he will become a star for the Sea Eagles at five-eighth.

And he was a bit surprised about all the attention Walker has received after the opening round loss to the Bulldogs.

“There was a lot of build-up in the off-season about ‘Walks’ and there was a bit of pressure going into the game,” he said.

“It is only round one so he has a lot of time to form those combinations with the players outside and inside him.”

Matai has witnessed just what Walker is capable of through the gruelling pre-season campaign.

v1

“When he first came to the club I was quite surprised at his ball playing skills and I didn’t know he had such a good pass on him and could read the game really well,” Matai said.

a2cf77bdffc5f2d1e375dd9642b2f970

Dylan Walker in action against the Bulldogs. Picture: Mark Evans
“I think if he does that in the next few weeks he will be a star for us.”

Walker is still working on his combination with halfback Daly Cherry-Evans.

“There is a lot of pressure on Cherry,” Matai said.

“I think he has done a great job in the off-season. He has trained well and trained hard with ‘Walks’.”

Matai is ready for backrower Martin Taupau to unleash when he lines up against Wests Tigers, his former club, on Monday night at Leichhardt Oval

“I’m expecting him to grab the ball and just run through everyone,” Matai said. “He’s been pretty quiet which is good, so hopefully it’s the calm before the storm.”

Matai thinks he will be fit for the game after rolling his ankle against the Bulldogs. “I’ve got a bit of floating bone in there. I had a cortisone injection on Monday so hopefully it settles down,“ he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/5ea2f95d7ea28e7518ff3bb511000b1e

Even in a beaten side, there were some positive signs for Walker as a 5/8. I personally can't understand where the criticism has come from.

Even in a beaten side, there were some positive signs for Walker as a 5/8. I personally can't understand where the criticism has come from.
You have to understand, people are very upset because we didn't win the premiership last week.

I'm starting to think that the players are expending so much energy backing each other to perform that they'll have nothing left in the tank come game day

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8