Steve Matai acting as a mentor for Tom Trbojevic’s move to centre

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fullback is his spot and he will leave if he doesn't get the fullback spot that he has been waiting for for a number of years.

I sometimes wonder if you actually have any idea about this team. How has a 19 year old been waiting for a position for a number of years? Reality is that he probably wouldn't have even played 1st grade last year were it not for injuries - Toovey would have preferred not to have played him but he was forced to - that's why he ended up back in u20s a few times.

Personally, I think he has looked at his best so far in the centres - I've seen Tom in the u20s and he completely dominates at fullback, but part of me wonders if it's because he is man sized playing against boys. I'm not convinced he is going to go on and be the dominant fullback some seem to think, and certainly not a player of the caliber of Inglis as some others on here seem to think. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

This is good for Tom to learn to play different positions I expect him to play a lot of rep footy in the centres but not at manly. Fullback is his spot and he will leave if he doesn't get the fullback spot that he has been waiting for for a number of years. And there isn't any great fullbacks we have at the club to take his place. Tom will be fullback next year no doubt he is too good for centre but geez he is making a lot of good defensive centres this year look silly.
Fullback is his spot and he will leave if he doesn't get the fullback spot that he has been waiting for for a number of years.

Just how many years has he been waiting for this spot? I am sure if you speak to Tom, he would never believe that the number 1 was his jumper in our team ATM.

Apologies to Chunky for parroting his post. Note to self, read later posts rather than posting what someone has already said, idiot.

Last edited:

Just how many years has he been waiting for this spot? I am sure if you speak to Tom, he would never believe that the number 1 was his jumper in our team ATM.

Apologies to Chunky for parroting his post. Note to self, read later posts rather than posting what someone has already said, idiot.
Sorry for expressing my opinion

I just think think he is a better fullback, but time will tell he has been playing well at centre and on the wing.

Turbo, m8, saying he will leave if he doesn't get the No 1 spot is spoken like its fact which is more than an opinion ... we all love Tom but maybe add a bit of reality to your positivity .... just sayin
ps he has the makings of an awesome centre :):*

Gotta love the Lurker - keeps pumping Tom to 6 and I think he's the only one that's ever thought that. My preference is centre but I'm also cognisant of how much that upsets @Turbo

He looks good at centre; however, he has so much talent that I think fullback is the best spot for him. Fullback offers more to a team than centre and you want a genuine talent like Tom in that position.

He still has a lot to learn particularly in defensive positioning - that comes with time, experience and actually playing at fullback. Next year I can't see Snake playing, so Tom to fullback and we need to bring in a couple of backs for centre/wing - whether that is Ramien and a purchase like Bowen, I don't know.

He looks good at centre; however, he has so much talent that I think fullback is the best spot for him. Fullback offers more to a team than centre and you want a genuine talent like Tom in that position.

He still has a lot to learn particularly in defensive positioning - that comes with time, experience and actually playing at fullback. Next year I can't see Snake playing, so Tom to fullback and we need to bring in a couple of backs for centre/wing - whether that is Ramien and a purchase like Bowen, I don't know.

he has played most of his junior football at fullback ...

he has played most of his junior football at fullback ...
Yes I know, I have been watching him for a few years now - I was referring to him needing time at fullback in first grade. It's a whole different kettle of fish defensively in first grade (positioning, directing the team's defensive line etc) - that takes time to adjust to. Next year, instead of shifting between wing and centre, we should put him at fullback and give him time to grow in the position.

Last edited:
actually I think he could end up prop the way we are going and the way he's growing @:rolleyes:

Buy Aaron Gray as well he is electric on the wing
rate that kid highly, would love him to come to manly but i think the rabbitohs would try hard to keep him.

I still think he'd make a great long term centre with Walker. Tom is 19, Walker is what - 20 or 21? They'd own those spots for the next decade. I worry how he'd hold up playing fullback long term.
im not so sure about the criticism of tom at fullback. Hes only 19 and if he learns his defensive positional play i think he could be our brett stewart replacement.
The idea of Tom T in his prime being able to inject himself into the game at fullback whenever he wants is just too good

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6