Stealing momentum in big games - Beaver

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/a-teams-ability-to-steal-momentum-vital-in-the-biggest-games-come-september/story-fni3fh9n-1227048098526

A team’s ability to steal momentum vital in the biggest games come September
STEVE MENZIES THE DAILY TELEGRAPH SEPTEMBER 05, 2014

Geoff Toovey could get it for you. Ben Kennedy too. And in recent years, none have been better than Brett Stewart or Jamie Lyon.

I’m talking about stealing momentum in big games. That innate ability to not only swing a final in your team’s favour, but keep it.

Nothing matters more in September.

It’s why, in the past seven years, Manly has made four grand finals. Won two.

And why, despite people currently saying they look a tired team, the Sea Eagles will again lift when the playoffs roll around.

Why? Because Manly are a club that know how to play ­finals footy.

Yes, every side has its big game players. But with the Sea Eagles, you have an outfit that understands not only September footy, but how to earn yourself the momentum that wins it.

It was proved yet again against Penrith last Sunday.

When with the game seemingly gone, Jamie Lyon scored one and then, incredibly, set up the match-winner ... back from the dead when no one thought it possible.

It was the same deal in the grand final qualifier against Souths last year, when trailing by 14 points early on they fought back to win.

At this time of year, finals experience matters. And as a club, there is none with more than Manly.

Lyon, Stewart, Steve Matai. Jason King, Choc Watmough and the quality halves of ­Kieran Foran and Daly ­Cherry-Evans.

Better, they have been taught by those who went before them. Schooled by players like Tooves and, more recently, Ben Kennedy — who, I can tell you, would be screaming obscenities on the field as those mad eyes rolled back inside his head.

It was a worrying sight, sure. But you were left in no doubt what was required to win. And the more times you have experienced this, the greater your arsenal on return.

I know because I’ve been on the other end ... twice!

The most recent was 2007. While I was a NRL veteran by that stage, most of the guys in our Manly side had never played a grand final and we lost to Melbourne. The next year, we returned — and won 40-nil.

It was a similar story in 1995, in the decider against Canterbury. While we were new to the October finale, the Dogs had not only been there the year before — losing to Canberra — but won themselves a minor premiership the winter before that. They were a team used to big games — and they thumped us 17-4.

That whole week had seemed weird to me. The media days and grand final breakfasts. The promises to treat it like just another game when clearly it wasn’t. All I can really remember of that game is kicking off — and losing. And that the next year, we came back and won.

Which isn’t to say this is always how it goes. But in finals football, nothing beats experience. Or momentum. And when you have that first one, you know how to go get yourself the second.

What a legend. And he's right. No better case in point - against the Bunnies last year (and unfortunately what the Roosters did in the 2nd half against us 1 week later).

Well we better be ready for it because if we lose to the cows then it's hello vermin again. This time I don't think the vermin will faulter if we let them get a 14 point lead.

It's time to step up. Semi Finals starts tomorrow night. A win is just crucial to get the 'easier' game, which I believe will be the Panthers (as I think they'll beat the Warriors). No disrespect to the Panthers, but in Semi Finals I believe we will cruise past them.

If we play Souths it's a bashathon, and if we win we'll need the week off. If we lose we are in serious trouble.

We really do have a number of players that can turn around the momentum. And in the modern game that is crucial.

Killer03 said:
If we play Souths it's a bashathon, and if we win we'll need the week off. If we lose we are in serious trouble.

As per last year. I still think we would have won the GF if we had managed to scrape passed the Rorters in the first semi.

Sea Eagles Rock U said:
Killer03 said:

As per last year. I still think we would have won the GF if we had managed to scrape passed the Rorters in the first semi.

Completely agree. It just set us off on a tough run where making the GF was a huge accomplishment. No surprises that in 08 and 11 we cruised into week 3 with a win in week 1.

Killer03 said:
Sea Eagles Rock U said:
Killer03 said:

Completely agree. It just set us off on a tough run where making the GF was a huge accomplishment. No surprises that in 08 and 11 we cruised into week 3 with a win in week 1.

The equation is simple, lose in week 1 and it's season over, 2nd chance or no 2nd chance. Win and we are still a chance.

bones said:
Hopefully Shayne Hayne's injured hamstring will keep him out for the rest of the season. He is the one who can steal momentum better than anyone.
Is Klein the one Bellamy sacked?
I don't mind him so much, he is not driven by ego.
(But of course I'm sure he's shafted us at some time!)

Beaver always put the team before personal gain. He sacrificed hundreds of thousands of $$$$$ to play with the mighty maroon and white. May be some current players should take a leaf out of Beavers' book.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
bones said:
Hopefully Shayne Hayne's injured hamstring will keep him out for the rest of the season. He is the one who can steal momentum better than anyone.
Is Klein the one Bellamy sacked?
I don't mind him so much, he is not driven by ego.
(But of course I'm sure he's shafted us at some time!)

Klein shafted us in the 2012 World Club challenge.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6