Starting #9 next year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who do you want to be #9 to start next year?

• Danny Levi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lachlan Croker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zac Docker-Clay

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Cade Cust

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Harry Grant

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Brandon Smith

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Sam Verrills

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Freddy Lussick

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Matt Parcell

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mosto

I have a well known member
Premium Member
Our most immediate need next year is a #9. You know it, I know it, surely Des and Co know it.

By my way of thinking, there's two ways we can go and which way hinges on how confident the club is that Fainu becomes available from July. Now, they've just resigned him for two years so they must be confident. If that's the case you're probably looking at someone who will revert to #14 once Fainu is back, but can adequately do the job in the meantime. No point paying two hookers starting level salaries when one's sitting on the bench for 60-65 minutes.

The other option is to prepare for the worst (ie no Fainu) and get a quality, starting calibre 9. Given pretty much all quality hookers are contracted for next year, we may need to offer AFB in some sort of swap deal.

I've been big on the second option and pursuing Harry Grant via an AFB swap and still would at least like to explore that option.

However, given the clubs obvious confidence that Fainu will be available, I'm now leaning towards a ZDC/Cust combo with one to become the 14 when (if) Fainu is back. Doesn't cost the club much cap-wise and allows us to use the AFB money elsewhere. If the club does go that way however, I've got a bad feeling it's going to be Croker as they seem to rate him.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

If Brandon Smith is happy to play lock if Fainu comes back then he is the pick; however, I doubt Smith will be ok with that. I would go after Joshua Cook from Souths. Not a fast darting hooker but a smart hooker with good vision. He will still run to mix it up but it’s not his specialty like the other Cook. He was the hooker for last years jersey flegg premiers. He is a reasonable size - similar to Verrils in build. I rate him and he wouldn’t cost much so cap risk is low if he doesn’t work out. Levi is a good runner but has no vision or game awareness - we need someone who will get it to the right person at the right time.

Our most immediate need next year is a #9. You know it, I know it, surely Des and Co know it.

By my way of thinking, there's two ways we can go and which way hinges on how confident the club is that Fainu becomes available from July. Now, they've just resigned him for two years so they must be confident. If that's the case you're probably looking at someone who will revert to #14 once Fainu is back, but can adequately do the job in the meantime. No point paying two hookers starting level salaries when one's sitting on the bench for 60-65 minutes.

The other option is to prepare for the worst (ie no Fainu) and get a quality, starting calibre 9. Given pretty much all quality hookers are contracted for next year, we may need to offer AFB in some sort of swap deal.

I've been big on the second option and pursuing Harry Grant via an AFB swap and still would at least like to explore that option.

However, given the clubs obvious confidence that Fainu will be available, I'm now leaning towards a ZDC/Cust combo with one to become the 14 when (if) Fainu is back. Doesn't cost the club much cap-wise and allows us to use the AFB money elsewhere. If the club does go that way however, I've got a bad feeling it's going to be Croker as they seem to rate him.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Fainu contract is dependent on him being free to play after July/Aug next year (i.e. 2022 and 2023).

With the emergence of Schuster, Walker staying, and the possibility of Foran returning, there really isn't a need for Cust at 6. He does imo have a lot of potential at 9. Defensively we can see weaknesses in his lateral movements, but at 9 this is not really an issue. When someone runs front on at him, no matter how big the bloke is, cust has no issues with belting him with solid technique. He has balls, he is creative, and could be a real threat from hooker given some time, and good coaching (cue Monas). If ben hunt can do it, I don't see why cust can't. And let's not forget the greatest hookers all started off playing in the halves (eg cam smith, even manase).. If/When Fainu returns, Cust would revert back to 14

For next year, if cust is starting 9 - who is our 14? Croker? ZDC? For now, these seem to be our only options. If so, I like ZDC

If they have extended Fainu for another 2 years then they clearly see him as the future. So they aren't going to go and spend big dollars on a hooker as you have rightly pointed out. It'll be someone within our system already.

I think Cust would make a good fist of it, but doubt he'd go the whole 80 minutes. So we need that bench utility to share - who though ? Not sure to be honest, I haven't seen enough of ZDC to have any firm view on his ability.

If they have extended Fainu for another 2 years then they clearly see him as the future. So they aren't going to go and spend big dollars on a hooker as you have rightly pointed out. It'll be someone within our system already.

I think Cust would make a good fist of it, but doubt he'd go the whole 80 minutes. So we need that bench utility to share - who though ? Not sure to be honest, I haven't seen enough of ZDC to have any firm view on his ability.
ZDC looked real sharp last year and even in trials when des just returned. He's a genuine hooker, and would work well in tandem with cust. Definitely a more balanced rotation than cust-croker methinks

Fair dinkum anyome who doesnt pick Harry Grant from that list be being realistic.

Fainu is the 9
IF he was not you would take Grant by a way
Thing is with Brandon Smith....very versatile and could easily play 9 till Fainu is back and then be the ultimate impact utility player off the bench....has played everywhere in the Storm pack including prop.

Matt Parcell......his running game would be the equal of Damien Cook....

seaeagles.com.au TimestampWed 21 Dec 2016, 04:57 PM

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles have released live wire hooker Matt Parcell to the Leeds Rhinos, effective immediately.
Parcell has trained with the Sea Eagles full time squad for the past six weeks and was set to battle it out with Apisai Kourisou for the number nine jersey for the upcoming 2017 season.

However, the former Brisbane Broncos and Ipswich Jets hooker felt his running style of dummy half play was better suited to the Super League than the NRL.
After discussions with Head Coach Trent Barrett and Manly Head of Football, Bob Fulton, at the club's training camp in Coffs Harbour last week, negotiations between Manly and Leeds got serious.
Fulton negotiated the exit through Parcell's manager Clinton Schifcofske and Leeds Rhinos highly respected Chief Executive Gary Hetherington.
"Manly have great respect for Gary Hetherington and the Rhinos. They are a professionally run club and the Rhinos will be a good fit for Matt Parcell who is a young player starting out on his career,’’ Fulton said.
“We are well off for hookers and this gives Matt a wonderful opportunity at a great club. Hopefully it is the start of a long term association between the clubs. The owners of the Sea Eagles, the Penn family, have great respect for the Rhinos.”
Parcell said he enjoyed his time at the Sea Eagles and wished the club well.
“I have nothing but respect for my team-mates and the coaching staff here at the Sea Eagles,’’ Parcell said.
“The club has been good to me since I moved down from Queensland and it was an honour to wear the great Manly colours. I wish Trent and the boys all the very best for 2017 and beyond.
“I'm excited to have signed a deal with Leeds Rhinos. After talking to Gary and Brian, I think the brand of football they want to play is really going to suit my game.
“Playing in England has always been something that I have wanted to do and I'm looking forward to the move."

The Rhinos have paid an undisclosed transfer fee for Parcell.
Hetherington thanked Manly for their co-operation and was pleased with the strong relationship between the two clubs.
“Manly have been thoroughly professional in their dealings and Bob Fulton has shown great understanding in giving young Parcell an opportunity to ply his trade in England for the right reasons,’’ Hetherington said.
“We have enjoyed a good relationship with the management at the club which developed after our two World Club Challenge meetings and that has continued to develop since. After speaking with Bob Fulton we both feel we can further strengthen our relationship in the future.
"We have had great success with players from Manly over the years with Cliffy Lyons regarded as one of the best players to play with both clubs and, in more recent seasons, former Manly junior Adam Cuthbertson has been one of our best forwards.”

Hopefully we only need a stop gap hooker till Fainu returns with that in mind Cust and ZDC for hooking duties and bring Foran back on the cheap.
Either that or a player loan for Harry or Smith.

Any one of Verrils, F. Lussick or Parcell for mine. Lussick is our best shot because once Fainu returns im sure Lussick would be happy to move to the bench in jersey 14 whereas I don't think we could expect the same for Verrils or Parcell. He's got enough potential anyways and does his role well. Young and fast. Our props can help him in defence but he seems fine there (just needs to bulk up a bit).

Freddy Lussick would be able to develop a good running game like Fainu and seems controlled.

Definitely not ZDC, imo i've seen enough from his games and trials. Cust to 14 till Fainu is back

He won’t be told by club to look elsewhere in 2021.
Doesn't have to be. He doesn't have a contract.
I'm hoping the recruitment people do their job and have their eye on some whipper snapper we've never heard of who quickly wins our hearts. Harry Grant came from somewhere before we'd ever heard of him. I know Covid makes it difficult but let's have faith.

My pick would be Harry Grant , but don’t think we would get him explained below .But chose other , a player named Mitchell Kenny from Penrith he is understudy to Api , he would be good to rotate with Fainu and if Fainu gets convicted or his shoulder is no good this kid could step in and not cost a lot but would have to get a early release though

There is not much available off contract
Plus it makes it difficult because of Fainu‘s court case , I don’t think the club would be prepared to pay a large amount for a ready replacement with 1st grade experience because of Fainu and in return is a player going to come knowing if Fainu gets cleared they will most likely be 2nd choice

I think there should be moves made to throw out Greensnot's no fault stand down policy.
It's the biggest load of crap inflicted on the game in 100 years.

Basically, we don't care if you're guilty or innocent, we're going to rub you out until the "snails pace" court system decides to make a decision. How is that even legal ?

Don't get me wrong. If Manase is guilty, throw the book at him. But you can't hang the guy out to dry preemptively. I hope like hell JDB is found innocent and he sues the pants off the NRL for loss of earnings, pain and suffering and for crucification of character.

Players need to be afforded the same rights as the general public.

I honestly don’t think there’s any point in signing another hooker. I feel like we’ve got the troops already at our club with the likes of Cust, ZDC and Croker, who can all share the 9 role until Fainu is allowed back hopefully in July next year. My choice would be Cust starting at 9 with Croker or ZDC coming off the bench. Then when Fainu returns he can be the starting 9 with cust 14 as the utility. Feel like it’s a waste of money looking for a hooker who will most likely only play just over half a season, especially when we have decent back ups already at the club.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4