Starling - a wrap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hi Napper, I meant that if we had Glenn or Jamie was fit Tom S would have been coming off the bench or maybe not in the 17. They all work hard and showed a lot of people how to get into Souths.

It makes you wonder what blokes like stronquist Cunningham and Tasi would have added to out team now if we had have developed them with a view to the future. I realise Tasi and JWH were poached but honestly what's happening with EPA Turbo jet and São?

G'day all,Maybe a little subtlety like running in pairs and an offload before the line, instead of getting smashed running one out all the time?What about a decoy runner instead of one up off the dummy half?Too old fashioned maybe?
cheers mike

The guy I'm disappointed in is Horo. Maybe I'm being harsh but he seems to be playing like the parramatta Horo at the moment. When he first got here he was great I don't know what's happened with him.

Unfortunately he's a prop and cover defence isn't what we need from him.
Very poor again last night, 9 carries for 59m. Not good enough.

Horo is different kettle of fish, next season he will struggle in mix with buhrer, symonds and co.
I played prop in bush footy for 10 years, your job is simply not get forced back hit advantage line make around 8 to 10 metres a run. Starling gets belted is not mobile and has no quick play the ball, i struggle to see who sao has not been given more oppotunity.

Darren said:
Hi Napper, I meant that if we had Glenn or Jamie was fit Tom S would have been coming off the bench or maybe not in the 17. They all work hard and showed a lot of people how to get into Souths.

Ahh I get you. Yeah I just thought Symonds was working pretty hard in the forwards compared to others.

Technical Coach said:
Starling is a forward that just adds depth for a team that has a good starting forward pack, not what we need at Manly right now but may be in the long run if we develop or purchase quality forward stocks.

Agree, he's a worker. Defends well, hit ups are regularly ineffective

starling is still young like JSL, Hasson,& Lui They will get better with another pre season under Donny.
PS. Lui is already good enough IMO. JSL has huge potential. Starling will be tougher next year!
We have gone from having a Forward pack that was ageing to one that in hindsight was a little to green this year.
We have Jake coming though the ranks also next year. I also think Ligi São will also be a lot stronger with another year under his belt.
Just need another experienced forward to replace Kingy. Unfortunately Kingy was passed it this year and we had to deal with losing Ritchie.
We will certainly IMO be stronger next year up front.

Red Pill said:
starling is still young like JSL, Hasson,& Lui They will get better with another pre season under Donny.
PS. Lui is already good enough IMO. JSL has huge potential. Starling will be tougher next year!
We have gone from having a Forward pack that was ageing to one that in hindsight was a little to green this year.
We have Jake coming though the ranks also next year. I also think Ligi São will also be a lot stronger with another year under his belt.
Just need another experienced forward to replace Kingy. Unfortunately Kingy was passed it this year and we had to deal with losing Ritchie.
We will certainly IMO be stronger next year up front.

I agree that Starlo was below-par last night. As were others.

His whole season though has been adequate enough to deserve his spot in our 17 (as things stand). And I'd say whatever we signed him for, he's easily repaid his debt.

I also agree another pre-season can only help ALL these blokes (Starlo, JSL, Lui, TRed, Hasson, Andrews, Jake T, Sao and hopefully Chee Kam and even the newbie Blake Leary from Northern Pride).

I'm also hoping like hell we can keep Hame Luaki; get him as fit as possible; and let him rip off-the-bench in 2015!

If there's ANY cash left in our kitty (remembering only Gifty and Kingy are leaving, as far as we know) another big, aggressive forward from anywhere!

I'd still keep Starling (not sure if he's signed for next year as I type) from what I've seen, and he's given all season long.

Seems like a nice guy but is slow and makes no metres at all. Looks pretty ineffective most of the time.

He gives it his all I'm just not sure he is up to it. He just doesn't bend the defensive line at all.I like him though he has got everything out of his ability and you have to respect that.

Harry said:
They should never have got rid of Kite. Lawrence is the only good prop

Kitey would be on at least 3 or 4 times (at the Riff) than what we'd be paying Starlo.

That's why we had to let Kitey leave, and give blokes like Josh a go (I'm sure we'd have kept him if we could've afforded it mate).

Agree on BJ. ( Though this year he's not been quite as potent as he was last year).

**** he is a reserve grader, look at our pack last year. Had rose, kite, richie f, gifty alot of agression gone. Plus buhrer no side can replace that.

Funny thing about Starling is that he's looks quick for a prop when he's making cover defending tackles, but slow as a wet week when he hits the ball up. I don't get it!!

Starling has done a good job this year but could you see him in that Souths pack the other night?? No! BJ has dropped off this year as well so easy to understand our lack of metres. Kingy looked about 50 the other night.

All our props are passing too much. Yes we are trying to give more opportunities to our backs but the defence is just sliding instead of being on their heels making it way to easy to defend.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8