Star centre Steve Matai says ‘No’ to Manly Sea Eagles contract extension

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bob dylan said:
Good luck Stevie.

At least if you get the same money, or even a bit less, at the Sharks or Eels you are way better off.

1. Shorter seasons, no need to worry about finals.

2. Longer off seasons, much needed as you get older.

3. Less training session because of above 2 points.

4. You can go to a club and be one of the highest paid players, just like DCE, and everyone else in the team can hate you.

5. No need to put in a decent effort each week. Losing cultures are happy with mediocre performances on a regular basis.

Actually I don't know why anyone would want to play for Manly.
....and,get to hang out at Westfield and parra mall or... flex with boardies and singlets at at northy,s still wearing zinc on your nose and sunnies on your head at 10pm at night ,maybe even learn the bubbler-

PS-Stevie- tell your agent to get out of the papers-he is acting a tool at thr wrong time of year.

These guys all want big pay days-we can't afford them all, so some will go.

I say build the team around DCE. I seriously don't think we can keep both he and Foran (hope I am wrong)

If Manly are smart here, which I think they are, they will offload a couple of aging players to sign the young blokes coming on. Cue Brett, Choc and Skiv.
Will be very sad day, but for the best. They can't play together forever

We all know who needs to stay...These old blokes are just filthy that their managers didn't sign them for more a few years ago.....

Mattai and Watmough have a year to go and unfortunately., that will be their last in maroon and white in my opion....happens to every team (almost)

Reading between the lines here - just seems like because DCE's agent has managed to negotiate upgrades to a current contract in return for an extension of years, that the agents of choc, Matai and Snake are trying for the same, via the media. They are playing 'the game'. Our management will play 'the game' too.

Probably fair enough in their own minds, but there's a massive difference between an elite half-back ( of which there are very few or none in DCE's class ) and blokes hovering around 30. The club aren't silly - would be insanity to upgrade these 3 at this stage & gut the rest of the team.

Yes these 3 bled for the club - but so have many others who were let go at similar stages of their careers. Its not exclusive to these blokes. And to my mind Matai is the only one who is still capable of playing at his peak anymore anyway.

Stay strong management.

I always thought the deal with DCE was more around the fact that soon NRL HQ will be able to step in and top up the contracts of the absolute elite players, which is where DCE sits. This was a move designed to stop players code hopping.

So for him, there is no rush to resign now, for just club money at what could be considerably less once that new NRL top-up feature is implemented (next year or 2016 I think). Dave Smith could potentially be throwing in a few extra hundy a year.

(Unless of course Toddy boy decides that every player on the Dogs fits the bill and allocates it all there...)

This as well could mean that if Manly isn't on the hook for DCE's full salary because the NRL themselves are topping it up, there is potentially more to go around to appease others. So my thinking is that Manly can't really know what they can offer these guys until the NRL payment thing is sorted (unless they are FULLY aware and are trying to get ahead of it and offer what would in the end be unders and then have cash to spend elsewhere).

Logically, DCE really needs to sign first, then Foran, then they will be in a position to probably match or offer market on the older guys once they know there exact cash position. But logic seems to go out the window with these things...

The problem I have with Skiv is that although has been great and is great (we saw that on Sunday how he can lift the team just in defence let alone his great attacking ability) and maybe the same next year. With his injury issues it is an enormous gamble to throw big bucks at him for 2016 & 2017. To do that you then limit how you look after the players that maybe our stars in those years. I would call his (managers) bluff and say how about we sit down at end of 2015 talk about the next contract.

What are the chances he will be worth the coin he is asking for now, in the 16 & 17 seasons?

In pure financial terms on games played this year Gifty would be paid less than $100,000. Of course that's not fair but if you are trying to get the best team on the park with a set amounts of dollars sentiment can only play a small part.

Lock up Foz and DCE first, then try to secure Matai and Choc. Brett is contracted for a few more years.

We need to build a team around DCE and Foran and if the other 3 mentioned don't want to be part of that plan so be it.

We've had 10 years of success and even if we have to go through a lean year or two until we rebuild I can live with that.

Let's hope all parties sort their differences out so we can cheer on an harmonious and united Sea Eagles club and football team.

I realise he's trying to get the best deal for his clients, but it really sh**s me the way Gavin Orr races straight to the media, usually the DT, whenever he has a client off contract. He's done it twice with DCE, and now can't get to Josh Massoud quick enough to tell him he's rejected the FIRST offer in Matai's negotiations.

And while mentioning Josh Massoud, heard this tool on ABC radio at the weekend spruiking his new book, The Ryan Tandy Story. Making out he just wants to tell the story of a good bloke who fell in with bad habits and people. No you're not Josh, you're trying to make a quid out of someone's suicide. If you're truly only concerned with getting this story out there, donate all profits to counselling for gambling addiction and Beyond Blue!

Meh a DT story to deflect any media attention around the Souths players throwing players & twisting ankles. With DT's track record in regards to Manly Skivvy probably told Manly that he will sit down with them at seasons end so his attention isn't divided. Never believe what BS comes out of that (and most) media outlets. When the club officially puts up something then i will believe it.

The Wheel said:
There is an old saying that the boys should learn: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

and an orgasm in the bush is worth two in the hand...................

1) Anyone who thinks Choc isn't worth a 3 year deal is absolutely kidding themselves. He does the work of two forwards now and is leaps and bounds above. He will, at the very least, still be a leader of the pack in the 3rd year.

2) Matai is the other one who deserves max money too. He is the difference no doubt about it. Critical to Manly success. He and Killer are the best centres in the game period.

They'll work it out. The fact we are hearing about this is not surprising.

globaleagle said:
Shoe1 said:
Frogz said:
Doesn't Mattai have a contract already for 2015 with us???. Sow hy an upgrade needed.

The inference is "upgrade me for 2015 otherwise I won't sign for 16 and 17."

Fine, give him bigger "fries and a coke" if that keeps him happy.

If the $500k per season extension for 16 and 17 is true I think he should take it. Class player, but I can't see another club beating this by much, if at all. Same goes for choc - the reported $600k (or was it 650) per year for 2 more years is about spot on for him I reckon. Can you really see another club beating that?

If they get better offers good luck to them, but Manly should stay firm on these figures, and keep them for 2015 - they are on contract after all. If the players go in 2016 so be it.

It will be time to bring on the Trbos, Gutho, Hoppa, Taylor etc for 1st grade time next year, and full time in 1sts from 2016.

Well the Warriors could beat it according to the report 2.4 million for 4 years :cool:

This matter is probably old news being rehashed, as Matai would be busy with the footy.

HappilyManly said:
Well the Warriors could beat it according to the report 2.4 million for 4 years :cool:

This matter is probably old news being rehashed, as Matai would be busy with the footy.

Thats the offer that both coach and CEO said was never made, and they have no idea where that rumour come from???

bob dylan said:
HappilyManly said:

Thats the offer that both coach and CEO said was never made, and they have no idea where that rumour come from???

Because they can't approach him at this stage of the season.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2