Standing Deeper

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Enigma

Reserve Grader
I would like to see players standing deeper on many occasions and hitting the ball at 100% speed. I would say wingers may be shallow to chase the kick but I see so many instances where an overlap is created and the winger has to check his run and hits the ball at 70% speed and turns a likely try in to a horrible mess. Several players who come to mind for hitting the ball at speed are Graham Eadie , Beaver Menzies and Billy Slater. I was watching Slater not long ago and he really stood out because he gave himself the best chance of getting thru every time because he was flat chat. It is also much easier to time a pass when the player is deep and I often see a poor pass which should be blamed more on the runner than passer. Any thoughts?

I would like to see players standing deeper on many occasions and hitting the ball at 100% speed. I would say wingers may be shallow to chase the kick but I see so many instances where an overlap is created and the winger has to check his run and hits the ball at 70% speed and turns a likely try in to a horrible mess. Several players who come to mind for hitting the ball at speed are Graham Eadie , Beaver Menzies and Billy Slater. I was watching Slater not long ago and he really stood out because he gave himself the best chance of getting thru every time because he was flat chat. It is also much easier to time a pass when the player is deep and I often see a poor pass which should be blamed more on the runner than passer. Any thoughts?

Really don't think our players have the speed to stand deep in attack, I would say our backline is the slowest in the competition

Couldn't agree more, I often think we look too flat.
Hoping after the first bye with no more 5 days turn arounds we start seeing a little improvement each week.

Between Parcell/Koro pass to the halves, they need to cut out three defenders with that pass, that way DCE and Walker can draw and pass to their outside men

True story.... Being deeper also helps give the runner options to change directions into defensive holes, besides the initial line being run beating players "off the ball"....sadly many players now play to set patterns , unlike the natural ability to create space playing what's in front of you.
Sadly was coaching some 15 year old representatives last year who truly believed the only way to break down defence is through "set plays".....sad how the true football abilities are often coached out of kids due to fear of statistics & errors.
Personally think players should use their gifts & not be robots...less errors will occur if all are on the same page & back each other, however - if there's a mistake rip in & defend it....not go into a negative game built on percentages.
Sure - simple is good to build a game around, but always encourage players to play football when opportunity is there, not because it's tackle 4 .....

To me it feels like the only time our backs see the ball is when they're hitting it up out of our own end.

To me it feels like the only time our backs see the ball is when they're hitting it up out of our own end.

Walker has been starving Taupau, Skivy and Jorge all season, all 3 have often had to go looking for the ball. It really only became noticeable though when Api started to starve T-Red, Killer and Tommy of decent ball in DCE's absence.

Tommy is making over 150 metres per game mainly because of his work from fullback as he's been taking most of the kick returns even with Snake playing. Its not been because he's been getting quality ball on the right wing.

The whole team should stand deep this week because the cows are going to go straight thru our middle.

True story.... Being deeper also helps give the runner options to change directions into defensive holes, besides the initial line being run beating players "off the ball"....sadly many players now play to set patterns , unlike the natural ability to create space playing what's in front of you.
Sadly was coaching some 15 year old representatives last year who truly believed the only way to break down defence is through "set plays".....sad how the true football abilities are often coached out of kids due to fear of statistics & errors.
Personally think players should use their gifts & not be robots...less errors will occur if all are on the same page & back each other, however - if there's a mistake rip in & defend it....not go into a negative game built on percentages.
Sure - simple is good to build a game around, but always encourage players to play football when opportunity is there, not because it's tackle 4 .....

Spot on MK.

Players are incredibly over coached and throwing the ball back rather than flat may lose or not make ground a large percentage of time, and coaches don't like that.

Sadly the only time they generally throw the ball around now is playing catch up football and more mistakes come from that than points.

%%%%%

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7