Stalemate in deal on Monaghan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Stalemate in deal on Monaghan
ADAM LUCIUS
12may05
HE has led the club to the top of the competition table and wants to remain a Sea Eagle for life - but Manly skipper Michael Monaghan is just seven weeks away from falling on to the open market for 2006.

The Sea Eagles No 7 is off contract at the end of the season and is yet to agree to terms for an extension, despite Manly's wonderful start to their 2005 campaign.

The club has made an offer but withdrew it after Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan said he was not willing to sign off on a new deal prior to a trip to the UK.

Banaghan has since returned but negotiations are at a stalemate amid rumours the Sea Eagles are keen on Melbourne halfback Matt Orford. Monaghan will be permitted to talk to rival clubs once the June 30 anti- tampering deadline expires.

``I have heard they are interested in Orford and that's fair enough because they have to make sure they have a half, but I am keen to stay,'' Monaghan said last night.

``I love it here and don't want to move and hopefully Jim can sort something out before June 30. They did make me an offer but we weren't prepared to sign it while Jim was overseas.''

Banaghan told Rugby League Week: ``It's not at the stage where it is beyond repair but they will need to indicate they are willing to reopen talks for there to be any hope of Michael staying.

``(He has) done a lot to help Manly get to where they are at the moment and would like to continue at the club.

``Hopefully they will wake up to themselves and come back to the table.''

But Manly executive director Paul Cummings made it clear yesterday the ball was in Banaghan's court.

``Michael is an important part of this organisation and we hope sanity prevails when we get to sit down with him,'' he said.

``We complied with a request from his manager and offered Michael something and it's now up to them to do something about it.''

Meanwhile, prop Jason King is confident of being fit for Saturday night's clash with the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium.

King missed last week end's win over the Tigers after picking up a shoulder injury in the City-Country fixture but said a week's rest should have fixed the problem.

Fellow front-rower Brent Kite is also hopeful of overcoming his shoulder injury and playing against the Dogs.

Sounds like branahan is furking things up by having open negotiations through the media.

monas should just get a new manager

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4