Squad for the world club challenge announced

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
13/02/2009 - By Manly Sea Eagles
The Sea Eagles today announced the Squad to travel to the UK for the world club challenge.

BAILEY Chris
BALLIN Matt
CUTHBERTSON Adam
FORAN Kieran
HALL Glenn
HODKINSON Trent
KING Jason
L’ESTRANGE Heath
LYON Jamie
MATAI Steve
MORWOOD Phil
NEUMANN Shane
ORFORD Matt
PERRY Josh
ROBERTSON Michael
RODNEY Shane
ROSE George
STEWART Brett
STEWART Glenn
SUNIULA Andrew
WAEREA-HARGREAVES Jared
WATMOUGH Anthony
WILLIAMS David

Brent Kite unavailable
Tony Williams Injured
Michael Bani Injured
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?newsid=4124

I thought that we got rid of Morewood last year. 

We don't appear to have too much depth in the props.

LoL - I was about to start a thread about this mate ! Maybe Rielly voted him back on the team? JOKING ! Just to lighten the mood.

SEASONS BACK ON KIDDIES !

DoooOooOosh ! Yep, I'm pumped.

Geez, how long to Bani comes back?

So who's the surprise inclusion...Foran?  Matai?  LESSWOOD?
maybe one of:
ROSE George
SUNIULA Andrew
WAEREA-HARGREAVES Jared

who knows

Good to see Hodkinson and Foran getting a run. I want to see what they can do

1. Brett Stewart
2. Michael Robertson
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Steve Matai
5. David Williams
6. Chris Bailey
7. Matt Orford
8. Josh Perry
9. Matt Ballin
10. Jason King
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Hall
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath Lestrange
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. George Rose
17. Shane Rodney /  Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

with out kite i would start hall at prop and have the raging mongeral off the bench

Deadwood would have to be the suprise selection, considering I thought he joined the famous "released" club

Maybe Morwood has a Contiki tour booked for March and wanted to get over there on the cheap??

Given Kite played all NRL and World Cup games, i'd say he's been rested until Rd 1 or maybe longer (Rose could stand in if he plays well, Cuthbo...)

Rose would have to be lucky as well.  Big and likeable, but not mobile enough to make the top grade.  When did he last play a game?  Morwood is another lucky one.  Tourists would have to be Hodgkinson and Suniula.  23 players on the flight seems to me to be about 4 to many.  They must be on some sort of deal.  Who is the 'raging mongeral' you speak of Cliffy?     

Who is Andrew Suniula? What position does he play?

Don't forget we are playing two games over there and have no other trials. Many of these guys will get a run at some stage during the season. No problems taking them in my view and if Hodginson is half the player he is reputed to be, we will be better off than last year with Robson, should Ox be injured.

I've just been told that airlines are having difficulty filling their aircraft so they probably got a very good deal.  Just how much is the big game worth in coin?

Ox anoints halves

* sport
          o Rugby League

13 Feb 09 @ 05:15pm by JOHN GRECO
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/ox-anoints-halves/

MANLY skipper Matt Orford has backed the selection of rookie halves Kieran Foran and Trent Hodkinson for the club’s trip to England, declaring the pair the future of the Sea Eagles.

The two young playmakers were on Friday surprise inclusions in Manly’s 23-man touring squad for the World Club Challenge match against Leeds on March 2 (AEDST).

Test prop Brent Kite (compassionate grounds) and new signing Tony Williams (hamstring injury) are the only two high-profile players that will miss the trip.

There was a couple of other surprises with uncapped Andrew Suniula and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves both earning a spot on the plane on Sunday night.

Forgotten prop George Rose also makes a return to the top squad for the first time since an horrific leg injury almost two years ago.

But it’s the selection of rookies Foran and Hodkinson that is the most significant and one that excites Manly’s premiership-winning half.

“The club’s in a great position in that they’ve got two quality guys coming through,” Orford told The Manly Daily on Friday.

“I’ve been really impressed with both of them.

“They’re both real competitive, they’re both cheeky as halves which you need to be and they’ve both got great speed.

“They’re strong halves, they’ve got a kicking game, a running game and the passing game they’ve been working really hard on.

“Even though they are still young and still need to learn, I think no doubt they’re the future of the club and they’re only going to get better and better.”

Manly coach Des Hasler said the rookies deserved their chance and suggested one or two could play some NRL football this year.

“They have all trained pretty hard during the off season and the trip away will be a good experience for them,” Hasler said.

“I think there are some there who could be ready to be called upon if we have injuries, and hopefully during the rep season.”

The Sea Eagles play the Harlequins on February 23 before aiming to become the first Australian side in six years to win the WCC.

“It will be a real contest for us and we’re treating it very seriously,” Hasler said.

The full squad: Chris Bailey, Matt Ballin, Adam Cuthbertson, Foran, Glenn Hall, Hodkinson, Jason King, Heath L’Estrange, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Phil Morwood, Shane Neumann, Orford, Josh Perry, Michael Robertson, Shane Rodney, Rose, Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Suniula, Waerea-Hargreaves, Anthony Watmough and David Williams.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4