Sport v Religion again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Mormon mission calls Kiwi league rep

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deeply religious Kiwi and Parramatta centre Krisnan Inu revealed after his finest first-grade performance yesterday that he is likely to quit the National Rugby League to complete a two-year overseas Mormon mission.

The 20-year-old was outstanding in the Eels' 18-12 win at Parramatta Stadium, playing a leading hand in two of his side's three tries and deputising as goal-kicker with aplomb.

But the bright lights and adulation of being a first-grade star pale in comparison with his commitment to complete a mission as required by the Mormon tradition.

According to that tradition, it is preferable for adherents to complete a mission by the age of 25, but Inu says he would rather go now and return to play before he is too old.

"Growing up in the church, church always comes first, then family, then everything else," Inu told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"I would love to serve the Lord. If I have to do the mission, I will.

"I will talk to my family and friends and make a decision. They prefer that I do the mission but they leave it up to me. They just advise me to do it before the age of 25, but for me, I would rather do it at a young age and then come back and work on my game."

Losing Inu would be a major blow to the Eels, with representative centre Timana Tahu having already signed with the Waratahs for next year and the Kiwi earmarked as an ideal replacement.

However, Inu wants fans and officials to understand that while he is a passionate league player, he was raised to have a different set of priorities. The level-headed youngster says he isn't concerned that a two-year break from first grade - just as he is on the verge of developing into a dominant figure - might debilitate his career.

"Two years is not a very long time for me," he said. "The main thing is that if I go, I will gain all the blessings. Growing up in the church, the mission was the biggest thing I had to do.

"I am grateful for the church, it has kept me level-headed and I concentrate on doing the right things."

Inu's father, Pepesuatia, is a bishop in the church and he told Krisnan on the eve of his Test debut for New Zealand this year that he would leave the decision up to his son.

Inu was at his best against the Rabbitohs in a man-of-the-match effort. He soared above Souths' defence to catch a Brett Finch bomb, then flicked the ball to captain Nathan Cayless, who stretched over for the first try after 21 minutes.

And in the second half he threw a precise cut-out pass to winger Joel Reddy, who dived over for Parramatta's final four-pointer. Inu also made a charging 40-metre break, kicked three from four goals, and spent time in the centres and fullback, where he was strong in defence, coach Michael Hagan noted later.

After the game, Inu was happy to discuss life off the field, and made the stunning revelation that he didn't know how his older brother died when Krisnan was just one.

Cheney Inu was killed in "an accident" when he was 11 years old.

"To this day, I still don't know how he died, my family just told me he passed away in an accident," Krisnan said. "I don't push it any further. The best thing about it is that no one is ashamed to say we have an older brother. He is still very much part of the family."

Stuff.co.nz

--------------------------------------------

I personally hate it when things like this happen, most likely coz i am not into any religion at all

What are others thoughts ?

I despise it too because religion shouldn't be a closeted existence. Someone like Wilberforce was far more effective and changed the world because he took his beliefs into the political arena.

There are millions of slaves around the world that are very thankful to Isaac Newton that he talked Wilberforce out of becoming a minister in a church!

Speaking of mormons shouldn't hoppa's brother be back next year from his 2 year stint?

I wonder if he will come back to league?

It's his life and his decision so do not want to comment too much.

If he does the mission It will weaken Parramatta, so not all bad news.

You'd think he'd be better off doing his mission IN Parramatta than in some unsuspecting third world country that has never heard of Rugby League.

Buggers me why Mormons want to do mission given they believe heaven has a salary cap.

Speaking of mormons shouldn't hoppa's brother be back next year from his 2 year stint?

I wonder if he will come back to league?
Yeah, Albert Hopoate should be just about back from his missonary.

Mormonism is the least credible of any religion - founded by a charlatan who had 'special glasses' no=one ever saw, to translate a contradictory 'holy book'. The founder ended up as a fraudster but somehow it gained mainstream recognition in Utah. Funny indeed.

Mormonism is the least credible of any religion - founded by a charlatan who had 'special glasses' no=one ever saw, to translate a contradictory 'holy book'. The founder ended up as a fraudster but somehow it gained mainstream recognition in Utah. Funny indeed.
The bit about having more than 1 wife may have helped ;)

Not sure why though as one is more than enough trouble :lol:

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
Mormonism is the least credible of any religion ...
The bit about having more than 1 wife may have helped ;)

Not sure why though as one is more than enough trouble :lol:
The thought of more than one mother in law ...... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mormonism is fairly patriarchal isn't it?

I have no experience of this but I'd imagine the wife and MIL may be easier to subdue when they're cowered under a whip hand.

I once got conned while walking down Broadway (about 20 yrs ago) to watch a Scientology movie starring L. Ron Hubbard. I don't think I have ever seen such a 'scientific' mishmash of garbage in one package to rival it. The most stunning thing was that in a room of about 20 people from the street I was the only one to question any part of it. Trust is way too easily obtained and recruitment must be quite easy based on what i saw. They prey on people at crossroads and filled with uncertainty.

I don't know whether we should go as far as France (which actively pursues Scientology through the courts) or Germany (which does not recognise it as a church but more of a cult). Religion, and I may use the term a bit loosely in this case, is always a touchie subject but these folks are towards the bottom of the pile.

Watch 'Big Love', Sundays at 8.30pm SBS for a peek into that rat-hole of a religion. The only true belief is, 'The Rugby League'. Centre of worship, Brookvale Oval.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4