Special mention to Harper

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
To me this whole discussion is not about going outside to buy "strike centres" to replace our existing centre pairing. Our existing centre pairing are extremely limited in their strike capacity though. They are generally good defenders. (Most of the time). They did the job that was expected of them. (Most of the time). Is their attacking capacity going to take us to GF win? No ****ing way. That's just not happening. The centre position is very different to what it was. There is a massive emphasis on defensive capabilities. However, looking at other top five clubs centre pairings, its obvious that at least one centre in the pairing also has strike capabilities, that ours do not possess. i.e Olam, Burton, Gagai, Manu etc
I would rate Walker as having similar strike capacity to any of these other centres. What has previously let him down is his defence. Unfortunately there is no real evidence that his defence (as a centre) has improved enough to put him back out there. On balance I think we need to give him another go out there during the pre-season, and allow Parker and Harper to compete for one centre position, and not monopolise both of those spots in 2022. This assumes that he re-signs with us next year.

Last edited:
I stand by my earlier comment that we need an attacking nine to make us a force. Everyone else will feed off that line engagement.

I see what you see feathered friend
In the fast power game slow and passive players are a liability in both attack and defence and we saw it in the finals when we were completely dominated .

The forwards do make a difference and lay the foundation but you also need striking backs to to add the final blow and blow teams away

At the end of the day and the game you need to out score your opponent to win

Any one that thinks that quality centres in a team would not make a difference to a side like the Lyon Matai combination is watching another game

Every team is rebuilding on their weaknesses so they can go one level higher next season and part our teams Weakness is our dormant hooker and centres
In my opinion that's the final piece to our premiership puzzle...
We have a talented back row, we have a good mix of experienced forwards and younger ones gaining experience each week that get their job done..
If I'm gonna nit pick, we could probably upgrade foz, but DCE and fozzy do enough to get the job done, with better centres and a legit dangerous hooker, we are right up there In the mix for a title... Sticking with what we have will leave us with the same results we've been getting the last few seasons.. close, but not good enough

To me this whole discussion is not about going outside to buy "strike centres" to replace our existing centre pairing. Our existing centre pairing are extremely limited in their strike capacity though. They are generally good defenders. (Most of the time). They did the job that was expected of them. (Most of the time). Is their attacking capacity going to take us to GF win? No ****ing way. That's just not happening. The centre position is very different to what it was. There is a massive emphasis on defensive capabilities. However, looking at other top five clubs centre pairings, its obvious that at least one centre in the pairing also has strike capabilities, that ours do not possess. i.e Olam, Burton, Gagai, Manu etc
I would rate Walker as having similar strike capacity to any of these other centres. What has previously let him down is his defence. Unfortunately there is no real evidence that his defence (as a centre) has improved enough to put him back out there. On balance I think we need to give him another go out there during the pre-season, and allow Parker and Harper to compete for one centre position, and not monopolise both of those spots in 2022. This assumes that he re-signs with us next year.
Think that you summed up the situation well there with the centre issue . There is still a requirement irrespective of how the trend in centre play has evolved in recent times to have the capacity to make full attacking chances out of half ones . Foz still has the ability to set up his outside runners well . Walker at 6 generally had it previously for Manly and Turbo [ and Schuster ] at times obviously as well . Defensive effectiveness is and always has been important in a centre role but whether the reference is to a strike centre or whatever , really have to have at least one centre to convert those half chances in the high stake's games in particular and really don 't think Parker and Harper can ensure that when it really counts .The power of Suli could and hopefully the speed of koula can as well . Maybe even Tippy toes . No doubting that Brad and Harper are functional centres but is that going to be enough to enable Manly to win a title next season or ongoing '

Sticking with what we have will leave us with the same results we've been getting the last few seasons.. close, but not good enough
100% feathered friend

In the finals against the top teams we were convincingly conquered

Storm 40 points to 12

and Souths 36 to 16

Change nothing and Nothing changes

We need to evolve

. No doubting that Brad and Harper are functional centres but is that going to be enough to enable Manly to win a title next season or ongoing '
All players have their functional capabilities

Some are capable to just get you to the finals

and Others can take you all the way to a wining grand final

There is major difference in class between our last grand final fantastic centres Lyon and Matai
and our functional centres Harper and Parker

Our Benchmark
Our 2011 Grand final winning back line
Snake
Wolfman
Lyon
Matai
Robertson

43b64e11e81a5076f05a8963b536e448

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6