Souths

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
What's everyone's opinion on south this year. I reckon they have a top 8 side but only if they can put it together.

I read an article on fox saying they are sporting the most internationals in 32 years and are the best side since their 89' GF.

Its not a bad squad either. Definatly not spooners.

1) David Peachey
2) Paul Mellor
3) Nigel Vagana
4) Shannon Hegarty
5) Reece Simmonds
6) John Sutton
7) Joe Williams
8) Peter Cusack (c)
9) Stuart Webb
10) Roy Asotasi
11) David Kidwell (c)
12) Luke Stuart
13) David Fa’alogo

Interchange:

14) Daniel Irvine
15) Dean Widders
16) Scott Geddes
17) Manase Manuokafoa
18) Joe Galuvao
19) Jaiman Lowe
20) Shane Rigon
21) Jeremy Smith
22) Germaine Paulson
23) Fetuli Talanoa

Alot of talent there.
I wonder if the Souths die hards who lobbied against Crowe and Holmes would be liking the side they have now.
I doubt if Piggins would have been able to secure those guys.

The only problem I see is the halves. They have failed to work in the past. I like sutton but williams is a problem. It'll be a lot of wasted tallent and money if they can't combine.

Yeah, there problem will be in the halves... aside from that i think they will improve.. i'll predict a 10th - 12th finish.

Joe Galuvao will be regretting his move to Souths i think

I would have thought they would play Sutton at lock & Jeremy Smith (I think he filled in for Tim Smith at Parra last year) at half with Vagana at 5/8. I think they could sneak into the 8.

its may well be sutton at lock, smith and champoin in the halves.

their 1, 6, 7 and 9 arnt overly strong but there is a good mix of talent and experience. They should improve this year but its next year where they will be quite dangerous if they can keep the majority of that side together.

The 1 thu to 4 would be getting pensioner discounts on the train to the game - very good forwards but a question mark over their backs. Just outside the Top 8 for me

Forwards are good halves are the worst in the comp. Williams :) :) :)

Backs will fold under pressure.

I reckon they'll finish 14th-16th, Ryan

1) David Peachey -well past his prime and could be targeted
2) Paul Mellor- strong ball runner- nothing special
3) Nigel Vagana- imo past his prime as well- did diddlie squat for the Sharks last year
4) Shannon Hegarty- was solid while with the Roosters but has shown NOTHING since and also been dropped to Premier League a number of times
5) Reece Simmonds- in the same mould as Albert Torrens filling gaps for the eagles
6) John Sutton- rate his skill but will have to wait and see
7) Joe Williams- too hot and cold
8) Peter Cusack (c)- just your run of the mill prop- nothing special
9) Stuart Webb-average
10) Roy Asotasi- great prop but Souths will need more than him
11) David Kidwell (c)- was good in a good team (Melbourne) but is well past his prime
12) Luke Stuart average
13) David Fa’alogo pretty good but really inconsistent

Interchange:

14) Daniel Irvine
15) Dean Widders
16) Scott Geddes
17) Manase Manuokafoa
18) Joe Galuvao
19) Jaiman Lowe
20) Shane Rigon
21) Jeremy Smith
22) Germaine Paulson
23) Fetuli Talanoa

Souths are **** and they won't make the eight- the only decent buy was Roy Asotasi.
They shoudn't be in the competition anyway!

PJ, did you fall down the stairs at their leagues club and fail to get a law suit or something.

Thats some intense hate your showing.

I agree with PJ. I predict they'll fight it out for the spoon once again. A few injuries and they'll be history. I remember Easts when they used to be the transit lounge, a mantle now held by Souths.

[quote author=fLIP]
1) David Peachey -well past his prime and could be targeted
2) Paul Mellor- strong ball runner- nothing special
3) Nigel Vagana- imo past his prime as well- did diddlie squat for the Sharks last year
4) Shannon Hegarty- was solid while with the Roosters but has shown NOTHING since and also been dropped to Premier League a number of times
5) Reece Simmonds- in the same mould as Albert Torrens filling gaps for the eagles
6) John Sutton- rate his skill but will have to wait and see
7) Joe Williams- too hot and cold
8) Peter Cusack (c)- just your run of the mill prop- nothing special
9) Stuart Webb-average
10) Roy Asotasi- great prop but Souths will need more than him
11) David Kidwell (c)- was good in a good team (Melbourne) but is well past his prime
12) Luke Stuart average
13) David Fa’alogo pretty good but really inconsistent

Interchange:

14) Daniel Irvine
15) Dean Widders
16) Scott Geddes
17) Manase Manuokafoa
18) Joe Galuvao
19) Jaiman Lowe
20) Shane Rigon
21) Jeremy Smith
22) Germaine Paulson
23) Fetuli Talanoa

Souths are **** and they won't make the eight- the only decent buy was Roy Asotasi.
They shoudn't be in the competition anyway!

[/quote]

Totally agree, even with all these Kiwi internationals in the side they usually save their best for when they have the black jersey on.

They could be good in a few years if they nurture and hold on to their juniors but right now they just have some big names with inflated salaries.

Yep- I can't stand Souths and won't bore posters again of my reasons why. I seriously hope they get belted and are eventually forced out again...then we can have at team in a place which will help the game GROW. I'm sure that was the plan when Souths were originally turfed but they wormed there way back in. And don't anyone try tell me Manly were in the same position as Souths- we weren't and as the only team north of the harbour we more than deserve our place in the competition.

Top side imo

1.Peachey
2.Merritt
3.Vagana
4.Paulson/Gordon
5.Hegerty
6.Champion
7.Smith
8.Asotasi
9.Irvine
10.Cusack
11.Kidwell
12.Fa'alago
13.Sutton

14.Widders
15.Geddes
16.Galavo
17.Manafokoa

Rather uninterested here. Souths are largely irrelevant to us this year. They may become a pest in future years but not now and not for us. They are in a completely different rebuild phase to us.

Rather uninterested here. Souths are largely irrelevant to us this year. They may become a pest in future years but not now and not for us. They are in a completely different rebuild phase to us.

Mate, in saying that.. they are still in the comp and it's 4 points we must get... i'd hate to lose to them twice and then finish 3 points out of the 8 or something.

I like you think they shouldn't be too difficult to overcome.. but on paper they have a competitive team. I don't think they can play well together and i also have a theory that "darker" people who play football don't seem to have a football smart brain and tend to make stupid decisions on the field. I am in no way racist but it is something i have picked up on. I'd love to be proven wrong

Mate, in saying that.. they are still in the comp and it's 4 points we must get... i'd hate to lose to them twice and then finish 3 points out of the 8 or something.

I like you think they shouldn't be too difficult to overcome..

Yep....and thats it. They look good on paper, but I am confident that there is a marked difference between a "put together" side like Souths is this year and our more cohesive Manly outfit who have matured together over a few years.

I probably sound like im taking them lightly but what the heck.............so long as our team doesnt. Anyway, i wouldnt be surprised to see bad headlines from a few of them at Souths when they hit the wall about round 9. I just see them as a speed hump on our way up the ladder.

i think the Bunnies will go close to making the 8. They look strong.. but depth isnt that deep. If they can keep their main players fit... they may finally make a finals game... be interesting to see a souths game with a couple of fans at the ground for a change...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4