Souths get Burgess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Darren link said:
gday kiwi, fair enough, good call, I'm just concerned that we rely too heavily on brett, remember the days of oconnor, shearer, innes etc, centres who scored 15-20 per year, matai was 3 this season, I'm sorta hoping one of the young guys come thru, lussick, foran, even hopoate later in the year, some youth would help

Fair enough Darren, but the blokes we have there aren't really that old, Matai is 24 and Lyon 27 from memory

I am too lazy too look this up, so may have it wrong, but weren't we only behind Souths for points scored this season ? And that without our most potent weapon

Attack isn't the issue for me, 2007 and 2008 were both successful years built on defence, which would hold a side until our fitness came through and we ran over the top of them at the end.

It really shows how far we have come as a club in the past 4-5 years, where we can look back at a season, and be disappointed with the WCC in the cabinet and running 5th. Many other sides in the comp would be celebrating that type of year, but it is not enough for us as fans now, and rightly so.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
It really shows how far we have come as a club in the past 4-5 years, where we can look back at a season, and be disappointed with the WCC in the cabinet and running 5th. Many other sides in the comp would be celebrating that type of year, but it is not enough for us as fans now, and rightly so.
Yes I have had that thought a few times, it wasn't a bad year but by our (new) standards it stunk. I think it's a great sign and I am sure we will be a force next year. Des is very crafty, he is no mug.

Kiwi Eagle link said:

When you put it like that, it does sound like we have had a good year and shouldn't panic..

I think it feels like a terrible year because we didnt come anywhere near our potential.

Notice in todays Manly daily it states that sources close to Burgess (ie Beaver) say it is unlikely he will sign with Souffs and the these reports are wau off the mark

It would be good if he came to us.  We need an new infusion in the forward ranks to make it difficult for the bludgers who are there to loaf along. 

Mediocrity has never been tolerated by Manly fans. This credo may have been dimmed a little between 1999-2004 but it was never extinguished.

This was not a good or satisfactory year regardless of where we finished up.

My wife works with a Souths supporter who often says to her "you can't win every game" if she is critical of a Manly performance. Her response is "why not?" That's the difference.

Burgess we dont need - this guy has way to much hype even before he gets here. Probably another Andy Goodway.
It would be good to see some more young guys come through next year. Both Davey & Whare looks good but Des seems not to rush these kids. I say Hoppa Jr is way too young for next year.
Matai is wholehearted player but his neck injury must be concerning the club - A full off season might be what he needs but I will always remember what he did in last years GF and he played his guts out and will be part of the club next year (maybe a backrower).
Lyon defence in the centres is a must and he can cover 5/8 when needed and again he was great in the GF last year.
Robbo played the season out of position this year but last year he was a whisker away of winning the Clive Churchill medal.
TRex is not a winger and will play in the backrow next year.
Neuman was hang by us this year for his performances and rightly so.
Suniula looks slow but better than TRex. Like to see more of him.

I am over this season now and I expect bigger things next year and I believe this squade can do that.

Burgess confirmed as a Souffs player next season.

Hopefully he is as good for Souffs as Andy Goodway & Bernard Dwyer were to Manly

The Wheel link said:
Notice in todays Manly daily it states that sources close to Burgess (ie Beaver) say it is unlikely he will sign with Souffs and the these reports are wau off the mark

Yay for the Manly Daily.

How good is Souths pack going to be next year.....

Asotasi and Burgess as your starting props will be the best combo in the NRL. Taylor playing backrow and running wide the way he loves to. Pettybourne was a revelation this season, Crocker at lock. Plus heaps of forward depth. The likes of Stuart and Ross as your immediate backup props (well, benchies). The Ben Lowe, Jaimen Lowe, Geddes (unless he is off?), Tyrell, McPherson etc...

They'll be a scary unit up front.

didn't we go through this fanfare a few years back when they had Kidwell, Widders, Galavou (sp) as well as Rocky Faalogo?

and we all know how well that turned out.

A culture of **** and failure doesnt turn around overnight.

I hear you Fro but I am dissapointed that we didn't get him. I still think the Souf's pack looks formidable. They have a habit of losing their star recruits to injury before the season starts so that may continue. Here's hoping.

Bradford Bulls have today announced that they have agreed to the request of Sam Burgess to be released from his contract with the Bulls to take up the offer of a four year contract with Australian club, South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs have agreed to pay the Bulls an undisclosed fee to capture the player who had a clause in his contract enabling him to leave for Australia at the end of 2010.

As part of the agreement to release him he has given a legally binding obligation whereby Bradford Bulls has the option to re-sign him should he decide to resume his Rugby League career in England at any time.

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=34699

Undisclosed fee? Send in the clowns, er, I mean the NRL auditors!

Sam Burgess
Isaac Luke
Roy Asotasi
Michael Crocker
David Kidwell
John Sutton

Garret Crossman
Scott Geddes
Luke Stuart
Shannan Mcpherson
Jaiman Lowe
Ben Lowe

They definitely have some depth in the forwards.

Throw in Wesser, Talanoa, Merritt, Best, Sandow and co. in the backline, and they certainly are building.

Ryan, you are forgetting they signed Dave Taylor and Ben Ross as well.
Burgess, Asotasi, Ross and Taylor is by far the best prop rotation the the comp.

Pepi link said:
Ryan, you are forgetting they signed Dave Taylor and Ben Ross as well.
Burgess, Asotasi, Ross and Taylor is by far the best prop rotation the the comp.
I discount Ross, he will do well to make it back to NRL level after his neck injury. The rest are good quality, and Pettybourne is also a promising type. But they can only have so many forwards on the field at the same time. Sandow and Mr Inconsistent (the 5/8) will still be in charge of proceedings so all is not lost for their opponents.

Ryan link said:
Sam Burgess
Isaac Luke
Roy Asotasi
Michael Crocker
David Kidwell
John Sutton

Garret Crossman
Scott Geddes
Luke Stuart
Shannan Mcpherson
Jaiman Lowe
Ben Lowe

They definitely have some depth in the forwards.

Throw in Wesser, Talanoa, Merritt, Best, Sandow and co. in the backline, and they certainly are building.

Kidwell won't be there next year. Not 100% on Crossman or Geddes either... Sutton will be playing in the halves as well, but still, crazy good pack and very, very good depth.

Still lack something in the backs though. Talanoa is rocks or diamonds, Merritt has his moments and can score a try but it seems like he will always be a "good player in a dud team" kind of guy. Sandow can do brilliant things, but isn't an elite half, Sutton is freaking amazing at times,  but can be the worst player on the field after halftime. Very confusing.

And who knows how Wesser will return? He was on the slide in his final moments at the Panthers, and he barely played any footy in '09. Break might have done him good? Or he could come back a year off the pace....

I think they'll be genuine contenders. They weren't too far off the pace in '09, I would've backed them to improve a great deal for next year anyway. But with signing Burgess (and the great form of Taylor) I'll put them in the top six, with the possibility to go higher if their halves work it out.

Teams with big, dominant packs tend to do well. No pack is going to enjoy facing Souths next year.

Souths need players and their owner Crowe meets with Burgess and Taylor and they snare both of them. Now compare that to our owners who seem like clowns, when was the last time we snared a Top line first grader. I think It was Jamie Lyon who we got because of Crusher. We should not be resigning orford or even wolfman on the money they want and start to rebuild. Des has sqeezed all the juice out of the lemon and we should not try to hang on we should rebuild.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7