Socceroos Road to 2014 World Cup & Hosting 2015 Asian Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
20 man squad has been named for the Scotland friendly:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...e---osieck-names-qantas-socceroos-squad/48451

Mark Bresciano, Alex Brosque, David Carney, Jason Davidson, Adam Federici, Chris Herd, Brett Holman, Mile Jedinak, Neil Kilkenny, Robbie Kruse, Mitch Langerak, Scott McDonald, Ryan McGowan, Lucas Neill, Sasa Ognenovski, Mark Schwarzer, Archie Thompson, Carl Valeri, Luke Wilkshire, Rhys Williams

Herd is in, shame for Luke DeVere to miss out. It does look like the squad composition is moving in the right direction but for the life of me, I can't figure out how/why Tardchie f**king Thompson keeps getting caps. The bloke is gash, complete & utter gash. Then you add in that he hasn't played a competitive match in a looong time (he has been in pre-season training with the Tards, but they are doing fantastically ****e by all reports). Really grinds my gears.

Carney & Neill are the other ones that baffle me, but I guess you need some veterans in the squad. Hope that no promising youngsters miss out on gametime at the expense of one of those blokes.

Definitely want to see Super Rhys in the center of defence this game. It's his favourite position & he's one of the best players in the championship at that position. Top tier quality. If he gets played at right back again that'll f**king do me.

EDIT: Not to forget about Leckie either, who is easily the best Aussie playing in Germany right now. Joke that Tardchie or Kruse were selected over him.

For completeness' sake, here's the Scottish squad:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsID=10305&newsCategoryID=1

Charlie Adam (Liverpool), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa), Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), James Forrest (Celtic), Daniel Fox (Southampton), Matt Gilks (Blackpool), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers), Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Besiktas), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Steven Naismith (Everton), Matt Phillips (Blackpool), Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town), Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City), Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

Strong squad. Will be paying close attention to Rhodes & Forrest in particular. Hope that Charlie M gets a start as well, deserves the cap.

20 man squad has been named for the Scotland friendly:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...e---osieck-names-qantas-socceroos-squad/48451

Mark Bresciano, Alex Brosque, David Carney, Jason Davidson, Adam Federici, Chris Herd, Brett Holman, Mile Jedinak, Neil Kilkenny, Robbie Kruse, Mitch Langerak, Scott McDonald, Ryan McGowan, Lucas Neill, Sasa Ognenovski, Mark Schwarzer, Archie Thompson, Carl Valeri, Luke Wilkshire, Rhys Williams

Herd is in, shame for Luke DeVere to miss out. It does look like the squad composition is moving in the right direction but for the life of me, I can't figure out how/why Tardchie f**king Thompson keeps getting caps. The bloke is gash, complete & utter gash. Then you add in that he hasn't played a competitive match in a looong time (he has been in pre-season training with the Tards, but they are doing fantastically ****e by all reports). Really grinds my gears.

Carney & Neill are the other ones that baffle me, but I guess you need some veterans in the squad. Hope that no promising youngsters miss out on gametime at the expense of one of those blokes.

Definitely want to see Super Rhys in the center of defence this game. It's his favourite position & he's one of the best players in the championship at that position. Top tier quality. If he gets played at right back again that'll f**king do me.

EDIT: Not to forget about Leckie either, who is easily the best Aussie playing in Germany right now. Joke that Tardchie or Kruse were selected over him.

For completeness' sake, here's the Scottish squad:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsID=10305&newsCategoryID=1

Charlie Adam (Liverpool), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa), Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), James Forrest (Celtic), Daniel Fox (Southampton), Matt Gilks (Blackpool), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers), Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Besiktas), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Steven Naismith (Everton), Matt Phillips (Blackpool), Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town), Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City), Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

Strong squad. Will be paying close attention to Rhodes & Forrest in particular. Hope that Charlie M gets a start as well, deserves the cap.

Aetna said:
Aetna said:
The Socceroos are half way through their journey towards qualification for the Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup with their final match vs Saudi Arabia in Melbourne in late February.

Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying:
Australia 2 v Thailand 1
Saudi Arabia 1 v Australia 3
Australia 3 Oman 0
Oman 1 Australia 0
Thailand 0 Australia 1
Update results & schedual:
Australia 4 Saudi Arabia 2

Denmark v Australia: (Friendly) 2 June 2012.
Oman v Australia: (WCQ) 8 June 2012.
Australia v Japan: (WCQ) 12 June 2012.
Scotland v Australia: (Friendly) 15 August 2012.
Jordan v Australia: (WCQ) 11 September 2012.
Iraq v Australia: (WCQ) 16 October 2012.

Socceroos will be on the road alot with only one home match & five away in the coming months.
Denmark 2 Australia 0
Oman 0 Australia 0
Australia 1 Japan 1
Scotland 3 Australia 1
Lebanon 0 Australia 3
Jordan 2 Australia 1

Are to Socceroos loosing that aura they once had?

Dark, dark time for the Socceroos right now.

Holger seems clueless, the team looked absolutely awful last night, just nothing happening at all. I'd like to see him gone but it may be better to wait until after the Iraq game before making a long term call. If they lose to Iraq then he should be given his marching orders immediately.

I actually think that the current players would suit a 4-3-3 formation, we've got some good wingers but they aren't really getting utilized properly. Just to throw something out there;

Troisi/Brosquinho---Kennedy---Kruse (ugh)
-----------Holman---McKay--------
-----------Jedinak/Kilkenny---------
Davidson---Williams---McGowan---Wilkshire
-----------------Federici-----------------

--------------------------Schwarzer-----------------------

------------Spiranovic--------------Williams------------
Wilkshire---------------------------------------Davidson
-------------------------Kantarovski-----------------------
Holman---------------Bresciano----------------McKay

------------------Cahill-----------------Kennedy---------

It's too late to have drastic changes in such important matches away to Iraq.

Maybe start throwing players like Rogic, Babalj, Amini, Leckie & Dugandzic on to the bench. Kantarovski is a future Socceroos captain whom does what no other Australian holding defensive midfielder does. He plays a quick passing/movement game which we lack & need.

Looks like Holger has ended up going with

----------------Holman--------------
Brosque----------Cahill----------Kruse
--------Valeri-----------Jedinak-------
McKay---Spiranovic---Neill-----Wilkshire
--------------Schwarzer---------------

Pretty uninspiring team selection, game has been utterly dire so far. It's embarassing that Iraq have been this bad but we've still yet to get a goal, need to get things happening soon.

If I were Ryan McGowan right now I'd be feeling well rorted.

Since the 2-1 loss away to Jordan.

Iraq 1 Australia 2
South Korea 1 Australia 2
Australia 1 Hong Kong 0
Australia 1 North Korea 1
Australia 9 Guam 0
Australia 8 Chinese Taipai 0
Romania 3 Australia 2

Holger Osieck's 23 man Socceroos squad for World Cup Qualifier against Oman

Socceroos squad: Mark Bresciano, Alex Brosque, Tim Cahill, Robert Cornthwaite, Dino Djulbic, Eugene Galekovic, James Holland, Brett Holman, Mile Jedinak, Robbie Kruse, Ryan McGowan, Matt McKay, Mark Milligan, Jade North, Tommy Oar, Tom Rogic, Mathew Ryan, Mark Schwarzer, Archie Thompson, Michael Thwaite, Luke Wilkshire, Rhys Williams, Michael Zullo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-13/osieck-turns-to-a-league-for-oman/4569894

Holger will most probably start with a unpopular defensive starting lineup.

Mark Schwarzer

Luke Wilkshire
Jade North
Robert Cornthwaite
Michael Zullo

Mark Milligan
Mile Jedinak
Matt McKay
James Holland

Brett Hollman
Robbie Kruse

Once he realizes they going nowhere he will bring on Rogic, Oar, Cahill or Bresciano to get them a goal.

Predict a frustrating 2-0 win for Socceroos tonight against Oman. Second half goals by Mile Jedinak & Tim Cahill after the usual waisting time tactics by Oman.

If Australia can get a early goal it could be 5-0.

I'm a bit worried about the Socceroos central defense. Robert Cornthwaite & Jade North are not our even 2nd, 3rd or 4th best pairing.
Lucas Neill is suspended but Rhys Williams, Matthew Spiranovic, Sasa Ognenovski, Shane Lowry, Michael DeVere & Michael Beachamp would all be in front for such a important match.

Ugh, what a terrible, terrible game of football that was. Laughable that the FFA still have the gall to try & charge people $40 to sit in GA at Homebush & watch that crap as well. Embarassing time for the Aussie NT.

I could go on for pages about how Holger (& while we're at it, all of the assistants & Han Berger deserve a lot of hate as well) fails, but it's all been said before. As an Australian, I'm really disappointed in our NT, it's gotten downright depressing :( .

Very very frustrating game to watch. Whilst the Aussies dominated possession they very rarely troubled the Oman defence. 2 all flattered the home team IMO.

We were awful

I have been to some awful Australian matches but that was one of the worst - thank god I did not pay for the pleasure

Was about $40 for the cheapest tickets as well. FFA, you're having a laugh.

Amazing that Holger still has his job after all of the crap we've been dished up after the Asian cup, would be long gone if he were managing anyone else. Can't get angry about it anymore, laughed out loud when Jedi scored the OG.

Robert Cornthwaite, Michael Thwaite, Jade North & Dino Dulbic are not the way forward for Australia.
The likes of Lucas Neill, Craig Moore, Scott Chipperfield, Brett Emerton, Tony Vidmar, Stan Lazaridis & Tony Popovic are been replaced by players 27 years of age to 32 years of age.

After the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Australia should of had 19 to 23 year old players coming into the Socceroos squad as the fringe or backup players for the aging Goldern Generation. Matthew Spiranovic, Ersan Gulum, Shane Lowry, Chris Herd, Michael Zullo, Mark Milligan & Michael DeVere initially would of been the backup player to the likes of Emerton & Neill, with a lot of experience gained to eventually step into the starting 11.
Why are Neill & Emerton's backup squad members, players almost 30 years of age? They all havn't improved from when they were in their early to mid 20's playing in better leagues or teams & they won't improve in their 30's. I meen if they weren't good enough for regular Socceroos selection at their peak why now?

OK, I'll be first.....

We're going to the world cup!!!!!

wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Hope we don't have to play Italy, the dirty dive merchants.

Wooof

Was at the game and we have a heap of problems to fix but at least we got through

Not sure why we praise Holger for making a change he should have done much sooner in the match?

We're still gash but I'm pretty relieved to have finally made the finals. Wouldn't have trusted our chances if we'd had to have gone via the play-off.

Watch Holger take a near identical squad to Brazil, get utter destroyed & then ride off into the sunset with millions of dollars in bonuses.

They left it late but a super result. Team line-ups count for nothing in a year's time but for God's sake don't go for a defensive option game 1. I don't care if we lose 5-0 (well I do) but we have to go for it. Last time was a joke.

How good is it to have the Socceroos qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup hosted by the nation which = Football/Soccer? Bloody awesome.

I have to admit Lucas Neill & Sasa Ognenovski are always solid & calm when they only play together. As much as I would love to see the likes of Rhys Williams, Matthew Spianovic, Shane Lowry & Ersan Gulum take over, the Socceroos best football in the past 3 or so years has been at the 2011 AFC Asian Cup, the 1-2 win over Germany & these last few World Cup qualifying matches in which Lucas & Sasa were at the heart of the defense every time. If fit, healthy & playing regular 1st team football they are a must. The understanding they have between them is so much better that Australia's worst ever combination of Thwaite & Cornthwaite which was embarrassing in the 2-2 draw against Oman. Ognenovski's attitude seems to lift the team. He takes no backward step to no opponent & is calm under pressure in the big matches. Mark Milligan looked as good or better than Carl Valeri, Mile Jerdinak or James Holland in that holding defensive midfielders roll. His cover allowed Bresciano, Oar, Holman, Rogic, Kruse & Cahill to push forward in more attacking positions.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4