So the team with no depth has selection issues

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree our depth overall is ok but our 15 to 17 is way behind the top sides. Boyle Paseka JetSki are average at best while Waddell has gone off the boil a little. Sipley is a huge loss. If we fail to put a dent in the comp it will be this that does it. Look for Des to put some cash into the bench positions in the coming seasons. Bench players need to bring some dynamic play to the table. Other than Manase we don’t. We are just marking time for AFB and Marty to return then give the 17 five minutes.

Hard to win big games doing that.
Just watched the replay. I had been on the beers yesterday:)

I really like cust and think he’s the future.

But after yesterday. I think Walker Parker and Jorge on that left hand side could be deadly
Don’t forget Cust and Parker played a lot of footy in there early stages together and worked well together

Totally agree credit where credit is due to Barrett especially with Ruben, Waddell and Elliot etc he was just crap at coaching them to win games of footy

Well said @The Wheel

The most important thing in not just footy but in life is not what you have . It is what you do with it .

Des is doing well as expected

Des is so far advanced on Barrett tactically that it is an embarrassment to even make the comparison.
Barrett built a capable squad, sure, but seemingly coached said squad in such a way to play to the opposition advantages , and away from our strengths, a lot of the time.

Ahh comparing apples with oranges again Woodsie!

Don't know how ... you said look at Trent's last year ladder result ... and I said ok ... compare that to Dessies last year ..... seems a reasonable comparison if all you are interested in is a simplistic assesment ...

Seem fortunate at present that there is quite a bit of versatility and to help with depth with quite a few of the Manly playing group . Cust , Elgey and Croker can play 6 or 7 [ hopefully not at 6 "s and 7"s though ] Croker also at 9 or centre . Garrick also centre , Jet Ski and Waddell middle or edge . Walker , centre ,or six , Elliott and Fanu , fullback , centre or wing . One of Trent "s problems last season in particular was that he tended to adopt just too much of a negative outlook to both player selection and game plans , Maybe some inexperience associated with this but certainly can not apply to Des "s approach this season .,

Don't know how ... you said look at Trent's last year ladder result ... and I said ok ... compare that to Dessies last year ..... seems a reasonable comparison if all you are interested in is a simplistic assesment ...

Look how Pay is going with nearly the same roster bar Napa and Fiz. Near the bottom because of a crap roster. Compare that to how Des is going with nearly the same roster as Baz. And you have the hide to call others numb nuts and punchies Give it a rest.

Look how Pay is going with nearly the same roster bar Napa and Fiz. Near the bottom because of a crap roster. Compare that to how Des is going with nearly the same roster as Baz. And you have the hide to call others numb nuts and punchies Give it a rest.

and with the same roster Trent had them 4th at the same time of the year in 2017 .... and I 'll give it a rest when you get that simply judging on the position on the ladder is simplistic nonsense ....

Seem fortunate at present that there is quite a bit of versatility and to help with depth with quite a few of the Manly playing group . Cust , Elgey and Croker can play 6 or 7 [ hopefully not at 6 "s and 7"s though ] Croker also at 9 or centre . Garrick also centre , Jet Ski and Waddell middle or edge . Walker , centre ,or six , Elliott and Fanu , fullback , centre or wing . One of Trent "s problems last season in particular was that he tended to adopt just too much of a negative outlook to both player selection and game plans , Maybe some inexperience associated with this but certainly can not apply to Des "s approach this season .,
Forgot to mention that Garrick also played a reasonable portion of that early season win against the Bunnies at full back

And on the original point of the thread ... selection headaches and depth ...

This year so far there has been 17 games .. our starting forward pack has remained almost intact for all of them .....

Jake .. 16 games
Siro .. 17 games
Thommo .. 17 games
Kapow ... 17 games
Api ... 14 games ... Fainu ... 13 games ..
AFB ... 13 games ....

and right there is one of the reasons we are going ok ....
Don't use facts to try and change my simple mind. I want to think that TB was a fxck stick of a coach.

and with the same roster Trent had them 4th at the same time of the year in 2017 .... and I 'll give it a rest when you get that simply judging on the position on the ladder is simplistic nonsense ....
We had a very good 5/8 in Blake Green running around in 2017... Uate played on the wing and Turbo and Walker also played the majority of the season...

We have only had Turbo and Walks for six games this year. Baz certainly didn’t have anything like the injury toll that Des has had to deal with this season, and when a couple of injuries occurred at the back end of the year in 2017, we became a train wreck, and that form line carried over into the next season.

I have noticed you are from down South @Woodsie. Do you know Trent personally? Serious question. Because you have defended him so rigorously these past twelve months and I’m trying to get my head around why that is. Even now with Des doing so well, you appear to want to deflect praise back to Trent.

I’m not being a smart arse either.

We had a very good 5/8 in Blake Green running around in 2017... Uate played on the wing and Turbo and Walker also played the majority of the season...

We have only had Turbo and Walks for six games this year. Baz certainly didn’t have anything like the injury toll that Des has had to deal with this season, and when a couple of injuries occurred at the back end of the year in 2017, we became a train wreck, and that form line carried over into the next season.

I have noticed you are from down South @Woodsie. Do you know Trent personally? Serious question. Because you have defended him so rigorously these past twelve months and I’m trying to get my head around why that is. Even now with Des doing so well, you appear to want to deflect praise back to Trent.

I’m not being a smart arse either.

I don't defend Trent any more than I have defended Parker, Croker, Walker, Siro, Winterstein, Jorge, Suli, Kelly and a host of other Manly men from what I consider unreasonable and undeserved abuse and criticism .... and no, I don't know Trent personally, but have met him and had dealings with him back when he was playing .... just a good old country boy with values

I don't know how you came to the believe I am from down South .... grew up a mile from Brookie ... and moved North 10 years ago ..

I don't defend Trent any more than I have defended Parker, Croker, Walker, Siro, Winterstein, Jorge, Suli, Kelly and a host of other Manly men from what I consider unreasonable and undeserved abuse and criticism .... and no, I don't know Trent personally, but have met him and had dealings with him back when he was playing .... just a good old country boy with values

I don't know how you came to the believe I am from down South .... grew up a mile from Brookie ... and moved North 10 years ago ..
I thought I read it in one of your posts. I agree with you 100% regarding the abuse of players/coaches etc. So too the owners, after all, they are another critical cog in the ongoing success/survival of our great club and should also fall under the same umbrella of receiving credit where it is due.

That’s sport though, coaches/players get paid big dollars to perform and fans will judge them based upon their success. It’s a harsh reality and a pressure cooker environment, but with the huge salary comes increased expectations.

Look at football (soccer) fans... NBA, NFL, Rugby, Cricket,, MLB... it’s the same for coaches and players everywhere in the universe of professional sports. Put it this way, I don’t think there would be a sporting organisation anywhere in the world who’d define Trent Barrett’s coaching record as a success. And yes, Des did have a poor season at the Dogs where he missed the finals, but he took his teams to the finals in every other year except his first season with us and made the big dance five times, winning two premierships. Baz made the finals once in three years with us, and also missed out with a red hot Panthers Toyota Cup side.

Compare the pair.

Last edited:

Edit: I do agree that Trent must have done certain things well, and some of the players seem to really like him. He does appear to be a very decent bloke, and I hope he can resurrect his career at another club. But Hasler was at another level to Baz from the very start. We were an absolute shambles on both occasions when he stepped up to steer the ship.

You take that voice of reason and get the f*ck outta here @Woodsie... emotion-free analysis of players' and coaches' efforts, impacts and capabilities has NO PLACE in a fan forum...

JESUS, next u will want us to accept that it is not possible to win 100% of games or win the comp every year!

OUT!!! OUT I SAY!!!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8