Smith & Smith Charged

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Re: Smith & Smith Charged

Are you sure on that Mata. Mark French from the roosters broke Shearer's Jaw early in 88 but I don't remember Geyer doing anything to him. Memory is fuzzy though - I do remember him playing but being quite underdone in the 89 semi against the Broncos.

I was at that Roosters game and that was a huge facial massage. Dale is a black sheep anyway.

Chip & Chase link said:
Legends appalled by charge

September 22, 2008 PREMIERSHIP-winning former league hard men John Sattler and Mark Geyer have slammed the NRL's judicial system which could end Melbourne captain Cameron Smith's season

.........But Geyer and Sattler say he has no case to answer, slamming the charge and loading system which has put Smith's season in jeopardy.......
Sattler agreed with Geyer that there was “nothing” in the Thaiday tackle that warranted suspension.......

blah blah blah

I heard a caller get up Geyer big time on the 2SM Talkin' Sport program for supporting Cam smiths tackle on Thaiday. And not long after the caller had hung up Geyer changed his mind and went on to say that he was wrong about the Cam smith tackle, and he said Cam smith needs to serve time side on side lines cause of it. 

He can't possibly get of.  The game would become a bloodbath if he does.  Surely he can be charged with attacking the head of a player if the grapple doesn't have legs.    I'm sure the NRL would want to be taken seriously, seriously.

My tip is that Smith will be found guilty of something but only get one week max, though the other scenario (which will cause a massive outcry) is that he will get off on a tecnicality with a warning, as the claim will be that it wasn't a grapple tackle. (Can they give him another charge???)

This will fire up the Storm, who up till now have been below form and disinterested.

Right off the bat I thought this was going to be very similar to the Thurston incident last year but this one with C Smith has grown legs over the last few days. Lots of interest in the outcome tonight, so maybe the NRL will bend and not attempt to circumvent. If they do there will be much wailing and nashing of teeth.

Canteen Worker link said:
My tip is that Smith will be found guilty of something but only get one week max, though the other scenario (which will cause a massive outcry) is that he will get off on a tecnicality with a warning, as the claim will be that it wasn't a grapple tackle. (Can they give him another charge???)

This will fire up the Storm, who up till now have been below form and disinterested.

Nah I reckon he wil cop the full two weeks because this decision is so important to the game as a whole.  They have a chance tonight to send a clear message to everyone that they are serious about stamping the grapple and attacks on the head out of the game.  

If they don't give him two weeks then it will be open slather next year until someone gets their neck broken.  As Robert Finch said he was warned at the begining of the year.

Don't say we didn't warn you: Finch says it's time to get tough
Andrew Webster | September 24, 2008

FRUSTRATED referees boss Robert Finch says he will have no sympathy for Storm captain Cameron Smith if he is rubbed out of the finals series - because it will help wipe the cancer of the grapple tackle from the game.

As the Herald obtained video stills of other players performing dangerous choke-like holds without sanction this season - including two committed by Brisbane players during last Saturday night's semi-final loss to the Storm - Finch admitted the code had failed to eradicate the controversial tackling technique despite a vow from coaches, players and officials during the off-season to abolish it.

While stressing he did not want to comment directly about Smith's case ahead of tonight's judiciary hearing at NRL headquarters, he insisted players had been warned continually about the practice.

"I have no sympathy for anyone for the issue that's arising now," Finch said. "We've said collectively, let's eradicate it. Quite clearly it hasn't been eradicated. If it takes this to stop it, so be it. This hasn't come up overnight. It's been an issue in the game all year."

At a think-tank involving the game's stakeholders last October, and then at the annual coaches conference in January, the message was clear: the game's officials would stamp out the grapple through penalties, sin-binning and suspensions.

Three players were charged in the opening round of the season - Smith, Parramatta five-eighth Feleti Mateo and Tigers prop Todd Payten - with Storm veteran Matt Geyer and Sharks captain Paul Gallen charged with contrary conduct offences in round three.

After that, just three other players had been charged until Smith and Storm teammate Jeremy Smith raised the ire of the match-review committee with their tackle on Broncos forward Sam Thaiday on Saturday night.

Payten is the only player who has contested the charge this season, and was found not guilty.

"They said they were going to stamp it out and then they didn't," South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said. "The problem is that the grapple is very hard to prove. It's too difficult to define what one is. They need to define specifically what a choker is, what a chicken wing is …"

While the Storm are not allowed to show examples of tackles that have escaped censure as part of Smith's defence tonight, the Herald has obtained footage of some tackles that have recently come under heavy scrutiny - including two from Broncos players in the 16-14 loss to Melbourne on Saturday night.

In one tackle, Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer appears to have a hold on Cameron Smith's neck. In another, halfback Peter Wallace has exactly the same hold around the chin of Israel Folau as Smith did on Thaiday.

The match review committee is understood to have looked at those tackles but opted against laying charges.

Finch said revealed he has ordered referees Tony Archer and Shayne Hayne to come down hard on any prolonged contact with the head or neck in this weekend's preliminary finals.

"I've told them, if they see it, to haul the player out and tell them we're not putting up with this for much longer," he said. "It it happens again, sin bin them."

He said the responsibility to wipe out the grapple also rested with coaches. "The referees cannot do it ourselves," he said. "We were given a directive by the coaches to come down heavily on player-safety issues. We have pretty well doubled the amount of penalties on grapples.

"We have doubled our penalties on kickers taken out without the football. We're doing as much as we can."

I would predict that if he gets off and plays on Friday, there will be fights every time there's a hint of a neck thing.  Stuart will instruct his players to come up swinging to put the storm of their hold down game and pressure the ref.  All good for us.  

How weak is Finch.  Telling the refs to "tell the offender that it's not on".  What a wanker.  If it's foul play penalize, don't warn.  What is he?  No wonder the game is in disrupute.  Someone should charge Finch with stupidity. 

"We've said collectively, let's eradicate it. Quite clearly it hasn't been eradicated"

Ive been banging on about Finch for ages. This quote above sums it up. He is admitting he hasnt done his job properly. He has overseen failure depite knowing exactly what to do. 

eagle_predator link said:
[quote author=earl link=topic=178499.msg198135#msg198135 date=1222248568]
Cam Smith guilty and out for 2 matches.
Yee F*&^%$ hah.
Oh yeah and that puts him out of the GF you beauty
[/quote]
Barring a midweek replay after extra time.
Watching his team go down without him will be poetic justice.  Yeehah!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6