Slow backs looking quicker !!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Des has done a great job with Suli and not sure if anyone else has noticed, but he appears a fair way quicker as the season has gone on, beating tackles with speed and strength, not just simply rumbling into defenders.
The way Manly play to their strength is through that middle third and also notice Walker and DCE playing far more direct off quick play balls and offloads to cash in close to that ruck.
Garrick can motor as shown by the long range try vs Raiders and Jorge, well he ain't getting quicker, but again, makes tough plays only few wingers can.
Parker is the speed of a fast backrower but is used inside the opposition red zone and can get top the line from there...and let me add, showed a bit of zip to get through for the 3rd try off a kick on Saturday in probably the fastest 15m dash I have seen from him individually....
Won't win the comp on pace and the gameplan revolves around the middle all day, but to see a few of these outside backs moving with a bit more dash (particularly Suli) has been another bonus of late.

Des has done a great job with Suli and not sure if anyone else has noticed, but he appears a fair way quicker as the season has gone on, beating tackles with speed and strength, not just simply rumbling into defenders.
The way Manly play to their strength is through that middle third and also notice Walker and DCE playing far more direct off quick play balls and offloads to cash in close to that ruck.
Garrick can motor as shown by the long range try vs Raiders and Jorge, well he ain't getting quicker, but again, makes tough plays only few wingers can.
Parker is the speed of a fast backrower but is used inside the opposition red zone and can get top the line from there...and let me add, showed a bit of zip to get through for the 3rd try off a kick on Saturday in probably the fastest 15m dash I have seen from him individually....
Won't win the comp on pace and the gameplan revolves around the middle all day, but to see a few of these outside backs moving with a bit more dash (particularly Suli) has been another bonus of late.

Snake / Monnas

Having a big impact I’m thinking.

Jorge went for a decent scamper up the middle on Saturday night & was pulling away from his immediate chaser.

I was a bit surprised to see him display that speed actually.
Horhay is not as slow as many think. His open space opportunities have been few and far between but showed enough pace with the said scamper. Most winger tries nowadays are derived from created space or great and/or tough finishing, not from outpacing their opposites. The latter are very rare. Horhay has filled a modern winger role very well this year and opponents are looking out for him wanting to smash them as well. An NRL TEAM is a bunch of pieces each filling a role well and his red zone return and hit-up metres must be around the best of any winger all year.

Last edited:
When suli took an intercept a few weeks back and ran the length of the field he showed some real pace but yes seems to have gained even morr since then. Very surprising, we all forget he is still only 21 I believe.
Yeh Robbo....I kept waiting for someone to run him down....wait he's over halfway...huh the 30....what over the 20.....10 to go he might.....TRY !! And in his breaks against Sharks looked sharper out of the blocks again....better diet, sprint training and desire gets that extra few metres pace that can decide tries, save tries....Win games !!

Don 't think that we are lacking in the back line speed department comparison wise in any aspect . Even D C E and Walker would be rated two of the quicker halfs in the comp , Suli , Garrick and Elliot all have genuine pace , Parker good anticipation and can stride out , Jorge average but sufficient speed . Suki is the one that has noticeably gained improved fitness and speed this season of course and it certainly has made a difference to the outside back "s potency .

Jorge went for a decent scamper up the middle on Saturday night & was pulling away from his immediate chaser.

I was a bit surprised to see him display that speed actually.

The weird thing was that it was only when (I think) Morris and Xerri started chasing him that they actually looked like catching Jorge. And Jorge has never been known for having Snake like blinding pace. Even from his early days in 2012 he's been more of a bash and barge, close range try scorer than an Addo-Carr like winger who would run the length of the field and leave most eating his dust.

As for Suli.....I don't think he'll ever have the outright pace of a Russel Gartner or a Michael O'Connor in the centres. But as others have said, that 70 metre intercept a month or two back (was that against Souffs or Newcastle??) showed that he's certainly no slouch. And yes I think he does seem a bit slimmer now which would definitely help his speed.

Last edited:
Peak age for performance is 26.1 years, after that you are in decline.
This is where training and decision making and heart start to be relied upon much more.

When it comes to those who have played first grade for Manly in 2019, I would say that over 100 metres (and remember, tries of those length are more an exception than the norm these days), our fastest 5 have been (in order):

Tom Trbojevic
Reuben Garrick
Dylan Walker
Moses Suli
Daly Cherry-Evans (pre bad ankle)

Obviously Turbo isn't playing right now, so in the team named for Friday night I would put Brad Parker in that group just ahead of Jorge and Elliot. Parker isn't overly fast (his speed is more off the mark than over distance as shown by his try against the Sharks), but he has stamina to keep his top speed for longer.

Bronson Xerri vs Moses Suli and everyone e was worried about how slow Suli was going to stop Xerri running rings around him.

Speed vs Power

Results -
Hahahahahahaha sucked in Sharkies
I had no illusions that xerri had a chance of finishing over suli. Xerri is an under 20s player being protected in first grade. He’s quick but has many flaws.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8