Slight change needed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Especially with Tom out, I think we need a genuine hooker on the park for 80mins. There was a huge change yesterday when Levi came back for his 2nd stint, admittedly he was fresh and Newcastle were tired, but a lifetime hooker knows when to pick his spots and what he is looking for better, his fitness to play 80 won’t be a concern

Croker and Cust have done an admirable job filling in at hooker but just don’t have that natural instinct honed into them over years of doing the job

Especially with Tom out, I think we need a genuine hooker on the park for 80mins. There was a huge change yesterday when Levi came back for his 2nd stint, admittedly he was fresh and Newcastle were tired, but a lifetime hooker knows when to pick his spots and what he is looking for better, his fitness to play 80 won’t be a concern

Croker and Cust have done an admirable job filling in at hooker but just don’t have that natural instinct honed into them over years of doing the job

I agree. Put Zach Docker Clay of for some spark.

Cust to start at 6
Happy for Levi and Croker to share the 9 role.
At full strength id keep Cust at 6, Walker to right centre and Suli right wing, Garrick to left wing outside parker and Turbo at the back. That is our best attacking backline. Taufua, Funa, Elliott and Hoppa spare.
Turbo
Garrick
Parker
Walker
Suli
Cust
Chez

Cust to start at 6
Happy for Levi and Croker to share the 9 role.
At full strength id keep Cust at 6, Walker to right centre and Suli right wing, Garrick to left wing outside parker and Turbo at the back. That is our best attacking backline. Taufua, Funa, Elliott and Hoppa spare.
Turbo
Garrick
Parker
Walker
Suli
Cust
Chez

I’m not quite as sold on Cust as yet. His passing and kicking games needed a lot of work last year, couple of nice touches with the boot but the passing hasn’t sold me yet, probably because the ball into row 5 is stuck in my head lol. Don’t hate your backline, but for now at full strength I think I still have Walker over him

With Walker out I’m happy to see Cust keep improving

It concerns me when we are in attacking positions and everyone looks lost. Standing very flat. I like to see players running on to the ball and challenging defenders. It would really help our wingers if they were on the end of these types of movements. Unfortunately, although they are all fulltime professionals, the halves need to be yelling at the players on the outside of them to stand deeper and create some motion. It was the same when Tom was in the team except Tom creates for himself and those outside of him with his strength, speed, and skills. I guess part of this is the fullback chiming into the backline at speed (Garrick has not done this yet).

I have always rated Cust very highly when attacking down the short side. Saw that last night in my opinion (forgetting that horrendous pass early on), shows what happens when you put in a half who will occasionally pass instead of showing and going on every occasion like a certain 6 who somehow started over him. I agree he needs more work but if Schuster is not going to get a run then Cust is the man till Walker gets back.

If Waddell is still unavailable , Hamole for Jet Ski on the bench . Maybe can get better this season but Jet Ski just seems a shadow of his bustling style from last season . Cust for starting 6 and Croker at 14 and sub for Levi .

If Waddell is still unavailable , Hamole for Jet Ski on the bench . Maybe can get better this season but Jet Ski just seems a shadow of his bustling style from last season . Cust for starting 6 and Croker at 14 and sub for Levi .

Have noticed the same with Gos

Last season was a blue arsed fly with a poor set of mits at times and had some aggression

This season he seems to be all sideways running with a handbrake before contact

Croker, cust, and to a lesser extent levi are simply not nrl standard, they all have moments of good things but week in week out there are too many mistakes in their games, brendan elliot is also in that category.

We have essentially played without a 6 for 3 years now, we got by simply because walker is a good footballer who has the skills and ability to adapt to the 6 role.

Its time for des to take some chances regarding selections, schuster, metcalf both need to be given a chance in the crocker/cust/levi roles hoppa into the backline if fit.cust is suited to a bench utility position if only 20 minutes of game time is needed.

If metcalf, schuster and hoppa are proven to not be up to nrl standard if given that chance, realistically its no different to the 3 or 4 mentioned who are not capable either

Nothing ventured nothing gained

This afternoon's team announcement will be interesting.
I predict the only change will be Keppie to start and Boyle into the 17.
Cust might get a go at 6, otherwise Croker one last shot at it. I think Croker was guilty of trying too hard last game, especially when DCE was off in the bin. I haven't given up on Croker just yet!

A whimsical attack emphasis team from available squad
  1. Hopoate
  2. Jorge (replaced by Hopoate when Turbo returns)
  3. Funa (to drop out when Walker returns)
  4. Suli (to left centre when Walker returns)
  5. Garrick
  6. Schuster
  7. DCE
  8. AFB
  9. Cust
  10. Marty
  11. Parker
  12. Sironen
  13. Jake

14. Croker - hooker/halves/centre
  15. Thompson - edge/middle
  16. Sipley - offload ability (other options Haumole/Waddell/T-Rex)
  17. Keppie

This afternoon's team announcement will be interesting.
I predict the only change will be Keppie to start and Boyle into the 17.
Cust might get a go at 6, otherwise Croker one last shot at it. I think Croker was guilty of trying too hard last game, especially when DCE was off in the bin. I haven't given up on Croker just yet!
The longer Des waits to try Schuster the less chance he will be an immediate success when he is finally called in, which could be at finals time. He hasn't played all year so he needs match fitness.
It's also time for Guaca to be given a chance, and I'd even be in favour of Zac Saddler making his debut over the next few weeks.
We are in real trouble if we continue to pick the same 17 as we know several of them are not quite up to the task of NRL football. Throw some of our youngsters into the fray and see how they perform. I can't see the downside. The current 17 are more likely to lose than win anyway.

We are in real trouble if we continue to pick the same 17
This will be posted elsewhere, but the team for this week is unchanged except Boyle replaces AFB. Waddell is the extended squad, so there is some chance he will play, I guess.

The main thing I like about Cust, despite his errors, is his raw passion and mongrel. I think we need to get a few of our players fired up in the dressing rooms. Paseka for one would be great. Get Dessy to slap them around before they run out and have something to prove. Fire in the belly. Cust has it and I love it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4