Slater vs Inglis

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
A few footy shows are comparing these 2 as who is the best fullback.
Love or hate Slater his timing & positioning on the field mixed with his explosive pace make him an exceptionally talented grub of a fullback.
Imo Inglis is better, more involved he can burst through multiple tackles with speed, swerve & power & can do those tough get out of your danger zone yards where the smaller Slater/Barba types can be ragdolled, often back in goal or over the sideline. Also he is a more reliable defender, though Slater is good for his size , Inglis actually scares players who are in the clear & his trysaver on Uate last year was an example of 1 only he can make.
Looking foward to the Souths / Storm clash this Sat & hope Slater plays, these 2 will offer a few more highlights.
Who is the better??
Maybe Saturday will get the answer.

Inglis is the complete footballer.

Heck, i even think he'd go better at prop than some of the forwards running around.

Certsinly not a clsssic fullback but I thibk inglis would go well in any position really

I can't really remember seeing Slater run less than full speed when he has the ball. For all his sliding boot first tackles, headbutts, karate kicks, etc etc he is very full on in his approach and always very involved. He is no classic defender but he does throw himself into the task.

Inglis is a totally different kettle of fish. Still improving as a fullback, but a freakish individual in any position. I still have vivid memories of his performance in the 2007 grand final. Bloody salary cap cheats.

ps I've tipped Storm against Souths but if Slater is out I'll probably change that.

Inglis is better i reckon what a change hes made from the centres to fullback. Off topic just imagine if snake didnt have the 2 knee ops?

My 2 cents, if Inglis was the better Fullback, why didn't he play that position when they were both in the same team. As much as I hate Slater, I have to admit he is a very good Fullback.

In the current era, Brett and Slater are way ahead of all others.

Slater missed 5 games last year and storm lost 5.Since he came back they have won 14 in a row.I hate him but he has no peers as a fullback and IMO is the best I have ever seen.His major adavantage over Inglis is his involvement-Inglis can fade in and out of games.Losing those 5 games was pure coincidence according to Bellamy-rubbish!

Take any one of those top 3 out and they are absolutely cooked but it never happens.

I don't care what anyone says-Jason Ryles is Jason Ryles, Brian Norrie is Brian Norrie,a **** sandwich is a **** sandwich-all that crap about the support players improving immensely is garbage. The simple fact is that as a combination the storm big three are unbelieveably good-the best ever. They would get the job done with almost anyone filling the spots around them.I doubted this a little in past years but they continually prove everyone wrong.

Have a look this season at Lowrie and Neilsen at the Warriors, Blair at the Tigers-wouldn't know they are on the field. The list of ex storm players fading into the mist is a long one. Richie is an exception thank god but he was only there for 6 months.

While those 3 are uninjured and with the storm playing the semis every week at home if they finish top 2 it is hard to deny they are short odds to go back to back.

Can i just make a note.. Slater has been at fullback for how long? Inglis has been at full back for how long? Inglis has been there for 1 and a half years now and we are already questioning and drawing comparisons as to who is better. Imagine Inglis with all the years slater had under his belt... not to mention the only reason Inglis wasent fullback at the storm was because Inglis could play anywere and Slater couldnt. Appararantly Inglis was always the most talented number 1.

Inglis for mine everyday of the week and we are starting to see why , i dont think there is an area of the game that Inglis cannot do . Some parts of Slaters game are covered up by commentators and papers cause he is the golden man yes he is great but he is not always perfect,some of his simple errors under highball etc. Some might say cannot always be perfect but I do not ever see Snake make howlers under the high ball etc.

Some one said it perfectly before though the answer is SNAKE :)..

As for the Inglis vs Slater , Inglis is the winner for mine ,another thing didnt Inglis go back to fullback in one of the origin games last series? and carried 3 blokes at a time every time he ran the ball making metres after metres which really changed the game for QLD , found inglis to be more effective on the bigger stage.

This is an article from last year by Peter Badel, The Sunday Telegraph.

Queensland coach Mal Meninga believes Greg Inglis will terrorise NSW, with stats showing the South Sydney ace is better than injured Test fullback Billy Slater.

Ahead of the State of Origin decider at Suncorp Stadium this Wednesday night, statistics have been unearthed which show Inglis has outperformed Slater in a number of key categories since his shift to fullback.

While Slater's withdrawal with a knee injury is a blow for the Maroons, his absence gives Inglis the room to use his 106kg frame from the back in the decider.

Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire produced a masterstroke by moving Inglis from centre to fullback in round three and Meninga is relishing the prospect of giving him a free rein instead of having him stationed exclusively on Queensland's left side.

The Blues have every reason to be fearful of an Inglis rampage on Wednesday night.

According to Fox Sports Stats, the 25-year-old is averaging the most tackle busts and line-breaks of all the fullbacks in the NRL this season.

Compared to Slater and Queensland's other fullback options Matt Bowen and Ben Barba, Inglis has made more metres per game, more tackle busts, more line breaks, less errors and has yet to give away a penalty in 2012.

Inglis is already the greatest tryscorer in Origin history - he has 14 from just 17 games - and Meninga is prepared to tailor Queensland's attacking structures to ensure his new fullback propels the Maroons to a seventh consecutive series victory.

"I'm excited about what Greg can do at fullback," Meninga said.

"Playing both sides of the park, Greg is a great rugby league player and I still maintain fullback is probably his best position.

"When you talk about getting involved and getting more touches, this gives Greg that opportunity.

"As we saw against the Broncos (when Inglis twice hammered rival fullback Josh Hoffman a fortnight ago), his defensive ability was pretty good, too.

"You can't replace people like Billy, that is a given.

"He brings so much energy, he is all over the place and his talk is fantastic. You can't replace the things he does, but we have to meet the standards at which he plays.

"We have to engage Greg and make sure his best plays are utilised for the team."

Inglis's statistical output from the backfield is compelling evidence of his successful switch to fullback.

He averages 144 running metres per game in the NRL this season, compared to Slater's 133 for Melbourne.

The Test centre has more tackle busts than Slater (75 to 57) from one less game, more line breaks (15 to 14), and while the Storm fullback has made 18 errors from 12 games, Inglis has just eight from 11.

Slater has also conceded eight penalties from the back, while Inglis has a clean sheet.

But the Maroons and Test custodian's potency is undisputed: Slater has more tries (11 to 7) and more try assists (12 to 7) than Inglis.

Inglis said he plans to seek Slater's advice when he arrives in camp with the Maroons on Tuesday, admitting he cannot match Slater's footwork and anticipation.

"I will get in contact with Bill," Inglis said.

"It is a bit shattering for us to lose Billy, but in the end we had so many good selections to pick from.

"I'm excited, I think this game will open up. A few years ago me and Karmichael (Hunt) did a swap, (at fullback), but this time I'm there for 80 minutes, not 10 minutes here or there."

Former Maroons skipper Darren Lockyer backed Meninga's decision to shift Inglis to fullback.

"Losing Billy is a huge blow, but Greg has been in great form for Souths and the position really suits his game," Lockyer said.

I know Slater is hated on this Forum, and I put myself into this bile, but when I take off my maroon-and-white glasses I see an amazing footballer with great speed, anticipation and skill. He doesn't have the physique of Inglis but I would pick him as fullback over Inglis. Size and the ability to trample players is the one, and I believe only, attribute that Inglis has over Slater.
I can understand why many commentators put Slater as the best fullback of all times. I've watched Langlands, Johns, Eddie, Jack, Mullins and of course Brett. All were/are great. All had different attributes. I don't have an issue with Slater being ranked as the best. It's all subjective, and makes for spirited debate.

Brookie4eva said:
My 2 cents, if Inglis was the better Fullback, why didn't he play that position when they were both in the same team. As much as I hate Slater, I have to admit he is a very good Fullback.

The answer to that is fairly obvious. Both players are outstanding talents and had to be in the team. Inglis is simply the more versatile player and can cover more positions. Slater is clearly better in his preferred position at fullback - much better than he would be in any other position. In saying that I am not saying he is better than Inglis in the fullback position. They have different styles and arguments can be made for both as the better fullback.

IMO Inglis is the complete footballer and therefore the better player.

Brookie4eva said:

That's because Inglis is just as good a centre,whereas Slater could only play fullback or wing. I'd take Inglis everyday of the week over Slater.

Slater and ingliss are twice the players of any other fullbacks in the comp because they have twice the contracts to prove it.

manlyfan76 said:
Slater and ingliss are twice the players of any other fullbacks in the comp because they have twice the contracts to prove it.

And in Greg's case, twice the 's'.

Slater is a great player but Inglis is even better. Breaking it down into facets......

Speed.......I think it's clear Slater wins this category.
Strength....Inglis for mine.
Versatility.....again Inglis. Can play fullback, wing, centre, five eighth...probably 13 as well if he had to.

You just get more nervous when Inglis gets the ball than Slater.

simon64 said:
Slater is a great player but Inglis is even better. Breaking it down into facets......

Speed.......I think it's clear Slater wins this category.
Strength....Inglis for mine.
Versatility.....again Inglis. Can play fullback, wing, centre, five eighth...probably 13 as well if he had to.

You just get more nervous when Inglis gets the ball than Slater.

Inglis is quicker than Slater as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6