Sipley v Lawton - surely it's a no brainer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
3 starting middles and 3 on the bench. Too much in this era.
In a prelim final where the middle battle will determine the victor? Hmmm, maybe. I would start Kelpie with Shoo on the bench anyways...so starting with 4 middles and 2 on the bench. Short 1 edge backrower to start but if we dominate the middle our edges will take care of themselves for the first 20 min or so.

Last edited:
In a prelim final where the middle battle will determine the victor? Hmmm, maybe. I would start Kelpie with Shoo on the bench anyways...so starting with 4 middles and 2 on the bench. Short 1 edge backrower to start but if we dominate the middle our edges will take care of themselves for the first 20 min or so.
That's my preference too

It's a different story next year if and when Fainu comes back.But until Fainu is playing first grade Lawton as backup hooker every game.

Great responses and happily stand well corrected. As I said it was no criticism of Lawton (he's great) just felt sorry for Toff who I think is underused and could wreak havoc in attack, but agree with all the comments, and a very good point that Jake in fact plays prop once Walker dances on.

The awesome thing is having a Week 3 finals team with not a single injury, and quality guys like Toff, Suli and Siro not even fitting in the 17, not to mention the way under rated Cust, and also Gosiewski, De Luis and Funa who were all needed earlier in the season. That's a very rare and happy situation for us!

Good position to be in debating over who should be in the team
I’d be keeping Lawton on the bench instead of Sipley , The game against south’s, Manly will need to be more agile and more up tempo , Unfortunately Sipley lacks a little in this area when Manly are defending , Leaving Sipley out also can allow Paseka and Keppie more minutes which is a good thing

Lawton >> Sipley for sure. Sipley's lateral movement is the problem and we know Souths will try and punch through the middle with Cook etc.

To beat Souths, Manly need to win the middle IMHO. Any stress in the middle will compress the edges and Walker and co. will slice us open out wide like butter. They have a very dangerous and technically excellent backline.

I'm really happy that Des has kept Paseka fresh over the past few weeks, and Aloiai is a beast who can go all day so I'm expecting a big one from the forwards this week. Souths have a good forward pack but they can lose motivation for significant periods if you hold momentum and possession. It will come down then to ball control, winning the middle, and then unlocking Chez and Turbo.

NYEagle

Lawton is great but wasted just coming on the last 10 minutes..

I think schuster needs a break mid game.. hasn't been nearly effective enough since his injury.. maybe spell him for 25-30 mins a game and swap with Lawton...

im on team Sipley. As from the games ive seen. Lawton hasnt had the same impact as Sipley. Sipley bends the line and gives us go forward. Sometimes our forwards (ie Melb) dont get over the advantage line. Sipley would have and gives us momentum. His defence can be a concern but i think that goes for most of our team these days.

Lawton adds great utility value but so does Walker. Walker could do a job for the off chance we get an injury even at hooker. or Foran to hooker and Walker to 5/8.

But does prefers to have the extra utility as hes using Jake as a prop and gets Walker at 13. So either way i guess works.

Lawton , IMHO Sippers is valuable when we are on top in forwards and have momentum, but he is regularly coming on when we are on the back foot and all he is doing is defending. He unfortunately gets gassed too quick and Lawton has more utility value.

im on team Sipley. As from the games ive seen. Lawton hasnt had the same impact as Sipley. Sipley bends the line and gives us go forward. Sometimes our forwards (ie Melb) dont get over the advantage line. Sipley would have and gives us momentum. His defence can be a concern but i think that goes for most of our team these days.

Lawton adds great utility value but so does Walker. Walker could do a job for the off chance we get an injury even at hooker. or Foran to hooker and Walker to 5/8.

But does prefers to have the extra utility as hes using Jake as a prop and gets Walker at 13. So either way i guess works.
But they aren't like for like.

Lawton is spelling/covering hooker or edge.

Forcing Sipley in just means you have to reduce the minutes of Marty (40min v Roosters), Keppie (37), Paseka (28) or Aloiai (34).

None of those guys played huge minutes, so tell me which one are you cutting for Sipley?

Lawton fits our requirements atm even if that is 10-15min.

Lawton is a better all-rounder, and relying on Walker to be the utility in this regard is sub-optimal. Walker's form in his current interchange role has been sublime.

Looking at the Rabbit's bench of Marshall/Arrow/Burgess/Host, what we are packing currently is similar - if anything Manly have an extra Prop in the rotation (Burges vs Tent & Keppie/Marty). Jai Arrow is a versatile Lock-fwd similar to Jake. Host has been used as a 2nd-row/Interchange all season with similar minutes to what Dylan has. Marshall is the Lawton-equivalent on the bench minutes-wise.

We can compete with this fwd pack without Sipley.

Forcing Sipley in just means you have to reduce the minutes of Marty (40min v Roosters), Keppie (37), Paseka (28) or Aloiai (34).

None of those guys played huge minutes, so tell me which one are you cutting for Sipley?

Thanks for including the minutes played. If you are Team Sipley, then no no prop plays more than 30 minutes on average and Sipley only plays 20 minutes.

Im not sure if thats the best use of resources.. ...

I get it Lawton would only play small minutes if all goes well, but he can cover most positions and importantly can give us great cover for Froggy.

I'm fine either way, like both players. Leave it up to Des, he's got us all this way to a Prelim Final after all !!

Personally. Keppie would take mins of Shuster or Guaca. Dont think either are 80 minute players. Especially Shuster who looks burnt at the moment. Can even start with Keppie in second row for Shuster to take some pressure off him.

But like i said.. much of a muchness at the moment between them. I just feel sorry for Sippers whos played most the games since round 5. Didnt deserve dropping 1 week before for Siro of all people.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8