Sin Bins and Suspension

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
What is everyone's thoughts in regards to an automactic 1 game suspension if a player is sinbinned 3 times in a season?

In the EPL if a player accumulates 5 yellow cards they miss a match. Now i understand this proposal is a little different in that the player and team are already penalised by missing ten minutes on the field.

However i think there does need to be a deterrent to continued grubby play.

From memory Slater has already been binned twice this year. Now theoretically he could be playing a match in the next month with two minutes left on the clock, Storm leading by 4, opposing team makes a break which he covers but then he lays all over the player committing a professional foul and getting sin binned.

So what, saved a try, minimal time left, his team win's, getting sin binned is the favourable option.....illegal play wins on the day!.

Theoretically this could play out week after week after week with no further punishment.

I think to combat against this, in the very rare case that a player cops 3 sin bins in a season they automatically miss a match, no hearing, no appeal, just one match out, thats it!

Sliding legs tackle to your face Slater, has now been binned twice lately for the same prof foul.

I think your bang on if a player gets three sin bins in a season he misses the next game.

I still dont think the refs use the bin enough for repeat infringements.[/align]

As much as I'd like to see Slater suspended more often, I think 10 in the bin is a sufficient penalty for a professional foul. I don't think there is any need to add to it.

Besides, it would effectively give the refs the power to have a player suspended... is that really what we want?

This is not a dig at Slater.

And i agree with you 10 in the bin is sufficient for a professional foul.

But at what end do we take a stand, what if a player does 4, 5, or 6 in a season?

Sure they get binned but in a lot of instances that effects the game very little.

What if slater, who now has two Sin Bins meets us the in the finals, say 1 match out from the big one.

Melbourne led by 4, Stewart makes a break, 20 seconds on the clock, Slater catches him 5 out. Currently slater can lay on him for 20 seconds, get sin binned then play the GF.

In my system Slater would have a lot to ponder, commit the foul, miss the GF but your team makes it. Or give Manly one last play, hope the scrambling defense stops us and then play in the GF?

there's some merit in your proposal.

My fear is that it could lead to more diving by players especially if there is no recourse for the suspension.

I'd like to see the return of a 5 min sin bin used liberally instead of hearing the refs empty threats of 'calm them down captain or we'll do it for you' which they rarely do.

Maybe they think 10 mins is too long for a minor infraction (as do I) but 5 mins should do the trick.

Anyone seen my manly hat?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6