Silvertails Updates and geeky stuff

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi all,

I have been suggesting this has been on the radar for a while and in fact it has been. I have been planning updates to the site for 2 years now and both years something has come up that has prevented me from completing the changes in time for the start of the season, I am loathe to do major updates during the season as well.

So last year I started writing a whole new system for the site based entirely off of the forums, I came up against some very hard times towards the end of last year and almost gave up on the site and everything completely. I am happy to say that I am on the other side of those issues now and looking towards the future for the site.

Now whilst the code I was writing was pretty solid it fell short in a few areas, its still going to be my focus to move us to a more forum centric site however I am going to do this in smaller increments and rely on the work of others that is moving forward slowly.

The first step I have decided is that I want to bring the tipping comp away from Joomla and the front-end and tie it into the forums instead. This is both a good and bad move, simply because the forums software we are using is up for big changes within the next few years, and this means I am going to have to do some re-coding down the track, but such is life.

The benefit of doing this is that we will not have a lot of login issues we have seen in the past.

After that part of the coding is complete, I am going to be looking at moving all of our content over to something that is essentially driven by the forums.

Overall you won't notice a lot of changes but there is a hell of a lot going on in the back ground. Once I have completed all of this I will be removing or archiving our old site and moving us to a new fresh install, with the old content, there will be a few cosmetic changes that go a long with this.

Overall we should see some performance improvements and I have already implemented some server side caching with XCache which over the next few days should see the site speed up more and more.

Once I have moved everything into the new system we should have fewer overheads on the server and I can complete some finer optimisations which should see us runnings faster and lighter than ever.

I will try to make this all as pain free as possible and hopefully there should be very little impact on you all, I will aim to make most of the changes during bye rounds or other times that permit, though some minor down time is unavoidable.

I know for most of you this is a whole lot of jargon but I like to keep you all up to date. As always I value your feedback and suggestions and assistance. So here is what I need from you.

What features would you like to see added to the tipping comp?
What features would you like to see in the content areas of the site?

Dan

That video ad thing on the right was giving me the ****s this morning
Everytime you change pages or post etc it starts again and if u mute it it reverts to the sound again

^^^^ What he said !!! Something has changed so that the videos autoplay now. I'm having same problem.

No its not that something has changed. Everything in that regard with advertisers etc is exactly as is yesterday. It is instead a new advert/advertiser and they are breaching the TOS by having the advert autoplay.

I need to know who the advertiser is so that I can send that information back to the ad network so they can get rid of it or fix it. I have yet to encounter it

Well I certainly hope that after you do all that work, Manly don't fold!!

I think the tipping comp thread(s) work quite well. If we want more info re injuries, stats, etc then I that's probably what nrl.com is for.

As for the rest of it.....I miss seeing who is online less than I thought I would.

I'll keep this thread in mind but it seems to operate quite well.

I am more thinking along the lines of what features in a tipping comp i.e. bonus rounds or games beign user selectable, pick the score and margin being a feature of placings etc

Daniel said:
I am more thinking along the lines of what features in a tipping comp i.e. bonus rounds or games beign user selectable, pick the score and margin being a feature of placings etc

Oh.... well I feel like a doofus. I like the simplicity of this tipping comp.

Stevo said:
I have a suggestion.

Ban @[globaleagle]

That guy is not right in the head

Hooray! Correct tagging technique ftw!!!!

I keep getting this message today

The maximum server load limit has been reached. Please check back later once the server is less busy.

I thought there must have been something going on that i didn't know about. Like the Lyon to Penrith thread grew some legs. lol

I have a real dilemma, my Joomla,s buggered, I can't reboot with my Xcache because my Joomla won't work....basically totally stuffed, jeez I hope you can fix it Dan, and agree ban @[globaleagle] he caused the demise of my Joomla in the first place.

Stevo said:

The maximum server load limit has been reached. Please check back later once the server is less busy.

I thought there must have been something going on that i didn't know about. Like the Lyon to Penrith thread grew some legs. lol

Can you please take a screenshot when you get that next and I will sort it out. I think I know where that is coming from and that is more to do with a forum fail safe than anything else

Stevo said:

I was as well

Ok I have just upped the server load limit to 10 so that should stop it. If you are still getting it let me know and I will disable the failsafe and see if I can figure out where the high load is coming from

Dan it would be good (and maybe you can already) to preview a thread without having to go into it

that is something I can look at, perhaps a tooltip with the first few lines of the thread, not sure what that would do to server loads though

Daniel said:

The canucks do a 'last man standing' comp.

It's pretty popular. (pretty = huuuuuge)

Do you want a pm about the details or are you a big boy and can type in canucks.com all by yourself....esp with all the spare time being a new dad 'n all?

@[Daniel]

Oh fine....here it is.

http://www.nucksnation.net/last-fan-standing/

(and thanks mf76)

Its certainly something I want to add for next season.

Im busy recoding the tipping comp and entire site oncebi have it completed and teansferred ill work on new features

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4