Silvertail's team of the half Century ... Prop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who are your 2 props of the past 50 years ?

• Terry Randall

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • John O'Neill

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • John Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ian Roberts

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Mark Carroll

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Jason King

• Brent Kite

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Martin Taupau

• AFB

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Ian Thomson

• Joe Galuvae

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • David Gillespie

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Phil Daley

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Kevin Ward

Votes: 14 25.5%

• Total voters

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
The tribe has spoken, and our 1st inductee to the Silvertail's team of the half century is Max Krilich at hooker with % of the votes.

Now it get's a bit harder, Prop. The difficulty will be limiting the choices to ... I am sure I will be censured for leaving some out. Players such as Terry Randall, that played a significant numbers of games at both 2nd row and Prop will be included as options for both positions .... JHW was left out because of too few games ...

You can tick 2 boxes for your 2 choices ..

I can't go past our unsung heroes
David Hosking and Georgie Rose

Having said that .... Randall and Roberts would give them a run for their money

Players such as Terry Randall, that played a significant numbers of games at both 2nd row and Prop will be included as options for both positions
@Woodsie, I think for the poll to be a true gauge, players should be polled in their regular or best position only. For example, I don't think Igor should be in the prop poll. He played second row nearly all his career would be a stronger contender for Team of the Half Century in that position.

My prop selections are Iron & Lurch.

Would have Ian Roberts as i st choice , difficult to split most of the other contenders , Lurch John O " Neil just ahead of Kite , Spud and A F B

Igor has to be in the side somewhere and I suspect there will be a couple of other backrowers that I'll want to pick, so Randall is in as prop. That makes it tough to pick his partner as you have to leave out some good front rowers. I'm hoping we'll have an opportunity to pick a couple of these guys on the bench.

I think Kitey just, especially as a starting prop. He had such a solid all round game that would have stood the test in any match style over the last 50 years. But I'd quite happily take Cement, Chimp or Spudd as well

Grew up on Terry Randall....Ian Roberts came over from Souths and potentially had it all, but plagued by a groin injury - still very good, but the best for mine by a way, was Kevin Ward, just so uncomprimising, tough and damn he injected power and hustle up front....without talking the game through sledging ect, he simply bashed em into submission with and without the ball....imo was the best Manly player in the first GF I witnessed in 1987 vs Canberra - had the Lyons, O'Connor, Shearer show out wide....but this bloke was integral up front !!
In fact, Ward is in my Top 5 Manly players of all time - Legend!

@Woodsie, I think for the poll to be a true gauge, players should be polled in their regular or best position only. For example, I don't think Igor should be in the prop poll. He played second row nearly all his career would be a stronger contender for Team of the Half Century in that position.

I said in the intro that players like Randall that played a significant number of games at Prop and 2nd row would be included in both polls for those positions .. Randall did play prop in a winning Grandfinal so deserves to be there ..

The only position that will be exclusive of position change will be winger ... to be included the player will have to have been a regular winger, otherwise we will get centres and fullbacks on the wing and no actual Manly winger ..

Igor has to be in the side somewhere and I suspect there will be a couple of other backrowers that I'll want to pick, so Randall is in as prop. That makes it tough to pick his partner as you have to leave out some good front rowers. I'm hoping we'll have an opportunity to pick a couple of these guys on the bench.

I think Kitey just, especially as a starting prop. He had such a solid all round game that would have stood the test in any match style over the last 50 years. But I'd quite happily take Cement, Chimp or Spudd as well

I was thinking for the bench ... the 3rd and 4th voted prop, the 3rd voted 2nd rower ...

Grew up on Terry Randall....Ian Roberts came over from Souths and potentially had it all, but plagued by a groin injury - still very good, but the best for mine by a way, was Kevin Ward, just so uncomprimising, tough and damn he injected power and hustle up front....without talking the game through sledging ect, he simply bashed em into submission with and without the ball....imo was the best Manly player in the first GF I witnessed in 1987 vs Canberra - had the Lyons, O'Connor, Shearer show out wide....but this bloke was integral up front !!
In fact, Ward is in my Top 5 Manly players of all time - Legend!

Yeah, I nearly left him out due to lack of games ... but his efforts in '87 earns him a place on the list of our best props ..

Who was Iron , Ian Roberts ?

I said in the intro that players like Randall that played a significant number of games at Prop and 2nd row would be included in both polls for those positions .. Randall did play prop in a winning Grandfinal so deserves to be there ..

The only position that will be exclusive of position change will be winger ... to be included the player will have to have been a regular winger, otherwise we will get centres and fullbacks on the wing and no actual Manly winger ..
Also played prop for Australia !
Randall was selected for the Australian team on the 1973 Kangaroo tour, but a broken thumb suffered on tour restricted him to only five minor games and he did not play in a test. He first represented Australia during the 1975 World Cup, playing in the * front row* in Australia's 36–8 win over New Zealand at Lang Park, scoring a try on debut.

Yeah, I nearly left him out due to lack of games ... but his efforts in '87 earns him a place on the list of our best props ..
Just my opinion Woodsie, but he epitimises Everything you want from a prop....
Tough, competitive, intimidating, powerful, led with his actions - not cheap talk, inspired the rest of the team which he laid the platform to play exceptional footy without any ego....

Tough, competitive, intimidating, powerful, led with his actions - not cheap talk, inspired the rest of the team which he laid the platform to play exceptional footy without any ego....
Just my opinion feathered friend and passionate Manly fan Maxta

When you break a player in two and lay them down you only get the job half done unless you also break his spirit

Enforces like Ian Roberts got the job done as this photo demonstrates ,
First he snaps the dragons players spine in two and then he breaks his spirit as well with a soft word in his ear ;)

20210107_110948.jpg

Agree .. but the same could be said of O'Neill, Randall, Roberts, Gillespie and most of the others on that list ... some damn good men amongst them ...

Here he is the enforcer in full flight and full colour

First he pulverizes the player with a big hit and then he sweet talks to him and reminds him what is to come next time he runs at him.
The moral of the story...
Destroy them physically and psychologically and you get the job fully done !

Agree .. but the same could be said of O'Neill, Randall, Roberts, Gillespie and most of the others on that list ... some damn good men amongst them ...
That is one hell of a pack of ferocious animals

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4