Silvertail's team of the half Century ... Hooker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who was our best hooker from 1970 - 2020 ...

• Fred Jones

• Max Krilich

• Matt Ballin

• Jim Sedaris

• Ray Brown

• Geoff Toovey

• Michael Monaghan

• Api Koroisau

• Manese Fainu

• Mal Cochrane

Results are only viewable after voting.
And yet in today's game he would be known as an absolute plodder, especially against the likes of Koroisau, Fainu and others like Damien Cook.
Can't agree with that! Krilich was a top all-round player who could perform like an extra second rower in open play.
Comparing players from different eras is always problematic, and the role of hooker has changed perhaps more than most. But Max was no plodder, he was quite quick!

And yet in today's game he would be known as an absolute plodder, especially against the likes of Koroisau, Fainu and others like Damien Cook. But for his time he was definitely the best hooker going around and a great team captain who led club and rep teams with great style.
Can see where you are coming from with that viewpoint and the different [ or partly ] style of ruck play in more recent times but Max [ [Krilich ] was an exception . He could scoot . maybe not up to the speed of some modern day 9 's but there would be some footage of him in club and test games where this was very evident with his good speed ability .Think that he would have more then held his own in the modern era with any hooker requirements , tough buggar as well .

Can anyone tell me how Max got the nickname "the bomb thrower"? I was told long ago, and forget.
Could you imagine the commentary team in this day and age calling him that on air! The millennial PC reaction would be priceless.
Don 't worry after i posted [ including that nick name reference ] i a bit late but i did have some reservations Really, quite harmless from earlier ears , not that concerned about political correctness but was still a bit conscious . And certainly not intended but also just a smidgen of disrespect in the present reality of social norms . i did hear one version of the nickname reference , again relatively harmless at the time but a slightly different complexion now for better or worse .

I voted for Toovey so that I could select both him and DCE in my top team of the half century. Manly have had many great halfbacks, but I think DCE has the most complete skill set, a premiership, rep honours and longevity. Of course, there is no way Tooves can be left out of the team....

Yeah!
His record eclipses Max's in number of premierships and matches for Australia, but he wasn't a better player and from what I can tell achieved almost nothing for Manly in a short stint right at the end of his career.
A year or so ago I heard Fred Jones comment (without naming names) that rep selection back in those days was greatly affected by which team you played for and I assumed he meant on ability Walters shouldn't have got the nod as much as he did. He actually nominated Ross Warner from Norths as his toughest opponent.
Ross Warner for Norths and Greg " Hollywood " Hartley . Must be some connection there

Can anyone tell me how Max got the nickname "the bomb thrower"? I was told long ago, and forget.
Could you imagine the commentary team in this day and age calling him that on air! The millennial PC reaction would be priceless.
High kicks called bombs... Max used to be quite proficient in hoisting those bombs... hence bomb thrower.
At least that's what I've always thought!

" Longevity and number of years played not important "

Are toughness and resilience not important as well? Heart and determination?

I am a devout Freddy Jones fan...admired his contribution for years while most here never saw him play. The guy was tough as teak, resilient and a FAR more damaging defender than any other on the list in an era when those attributes meant a hell of a lot. The only Manly player I know that bled more Toovey. Max was a different shape, size and style of player with different types of tactics and players surrounding him. Max by a whisker...daylight third.

Despite playing all those games for Norths, Gray seemed to be an enlightened and committed Manly man.

I recall seeing him regularly at Brookie on game day right through to the late 90’s.

Last edited:

I am a devout Freddy Jones fan...admired his contribution for years while most here never saw him play. The guy was tough as teak, resilient and a FAR more damaging defender than any other on the list in an era when those attributes meant a hell of a lot. The only Manly player I know that bled more Toovey. Max was a different shape, size and style of player with different types of tactics and players surrounding him. Max by a whisker...daylight third.
Wasn't it great back in those days. A team could have a champion player in a position eg Freddie Jones and have his incumbent in Max Krilich in reserves for a few seasons picking up the skills and prepared to wait his turn. Doesn't happen anymore. Don't forget, Max was selected for City Seconds in 1973 from reserve grade and didn't own first grade until 1974 after starting in grade in 1970.

Only not important in the context of being included in the poll ... not in how you vote ... otherwise we would have had only 2/3 choices ... and a player like Kevin Ward would have been left out of the props poll ... at the end of the day it is just a good discussion vehicle for the off season ...

Wasn't it great back in those days. A team could have a champion player in a position eg Freddie Jones and have his incumbent in Max Krilich in reserves for a few seasons picking up the skills and prepared to wait his turn. Doesn't happen anymore. Don't forget, Max was selected for City Seconds in 1973 from reserve grade and didn't own first grade until 1974 after starting in grade in 1970.
If the players these days had a trade or profession (like Max's plumbing) to rely on for income they could afford to bide their time in reggies learning from the incumbents.

Pretty sure that Ken Athurson [ Arko ] would have done all that he could to keep players like Max in the Manly fold with a decent contract even if he had to bide his time for a few seasons as an understudy . Manly did not have a bottomless pit of money back then but obviously one of the more financial clubs Certainly different times back then and with combining work and footy playing in first or reserve grade Not too sure when the transition to full time footy started happening , maybe just before and after the super League drama

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2