Silvertail's team of the half Century ... Hooker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who was our best hooker from 1970 - 2020 ...

• Fred Jones

• Max Krilich

• Matt Ballin

• Jim Sedaris

• Ray Brown

• Geoff Toovey

• Michael Monaghan

• Api Koroisau

• Manese Fainu

• Mal Cochrane

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is it Ballin for winning (2) - 2008 and 2011, or Ballin for playing without missing a game ?
Total guessing for fun here....
Nice try but no. But of course you are right in that there are a number of ways in which to compare records.
I'm thinking of a more common measure...

There's some top players on the list (and others not on the list!) but it's a no-brainer really, has to be Max.
Having said that, we had one hooker whose record exceeds Max's...
Is that longevity or representative achievements , or both . ? if not on that list , must [ or may ] have been before Fred Jones , not too sure may eventually recall something , if someone else does not sooner .

Elwyn Walters?
Yeah!
His record eclipses Max's in number of premierships and matches for Australia, but he wasn't a better player and from what I can tell achieved almost nothing for Manly in a short stint right at the end of his career.
A year or so ago I heard Fred Jones comment (without naming names) that rep selection back in those days was greatly affected by which team you played for and I assumed he meant on ability Walters shouldn't have got the nod as much as he did. He actually nominated Ross Warner from Norths as his toughest opponent.

Gray was essentially bought in as a prop recruit but certainly a pretty handy hooker as well on occasions and could be wrong but think that he only played one full season at Manly in 78 . Then gave the game away from a bad back , may have played a bit in 79 but can not recall it
Wikipedia has him at Manly 78-80 but it is Wikipedia. One of my all time favourite trivia questions-
Which Rugby League team had 3 international hookers play 1st grade on the same day? and who were they?

Yeah!
His record eclipses Max's in number of premierships and matches for Australia, but he wasn't a better player and from what I can tell achieved almost nothing for Manly in a short stint right at the end of his career.
A year or so ago I heard Fred Jones comment (without naming names) that rep selection back in those days was greatly affected by which team you played for and I assumed he meant on ability Walters shouldn't have got the nod as much as he did. He actually nominated Ross Warner from Norths as his toughest opponent.
It was a holiday for him in his last year. I think he is a Murwillumbah boy and used to drink in a few of the Tweed pubs when he went home. Was well thought of on the Tweed.

Talk in a recent thread about who was our best fullback got me to thinking would a team chosen by fans, differ from a team chosen by experts and "sports Journo's" ...

So as a bit of fun .. and to stimulate debate .. each week, on a monday, I will post a poll in each position for the Silvertail's to have their say ..

Only players of the past 50 years .. (1970 to 2020) ... are eligible, as memories are fading, and a lot of younger members would not have seen footage before video in the 70's ...

As you can see, we have started with Hooker ... Longevity and number of years played not important ... vote away ...

PSS .. If I have omitted anyone, that you think is a contender .... please let me know ..
Pound for pound the hookers have to be the most durable players in the game and you have selected a list of Great players who were tough and talented and dominated play in their own right
This is as hard as picking the lotto .
My top 3
1, Toovey...
Speed Kills and he was Explosive off the Mark and could Hit like Terry Randall and had the energy level of durable energizer battery that would produce Peak Performance for 80 minutes including extra time
2, Max
3, Fred

Wikipedia has him at Manly 78-80 but it is Wikipedia. One of my all time favourite trivia questions-
Which Rugby League team had 3 international hookers play 1st grade on the same day? and who were they?
Only a guess but how about Max Krilich, John Gray and Ray Brown. Only because they all played around the same time and I think Brown may have got picked for a tour from reserve grade.

Well Ray Brown arrived at Brookie in 80 , Max Krilich was till there and apparently gray as well . so maybe those three at Manly on the one day just trying to think of some of the great St George sides or even the Broncs early on with Kerrod Walters , Conesco plus one ? maybe not or Warriors

Max ' Bomb Thrower' ' Krilich for mine , Was a real blast and explosive at times . Probably had the best nick name as well

And yet in today's game he would be known as an absolute plodder, especially against the likes of Koroisau, Fainu and others like Damien Cook. But for his time he was definitely the best hooker going around and a great team captain who led club and rep teams with great style.

I noticed Scott Fulton isn't mentioned in the poll @:)

(actually, I thought he was a good reserve grader, but not up to first grade standard)

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how Max got the nickname "the bomb thrower"? I was told long ago, and forget.
Could you imagine the commentary team in this day and age calling him that on air! The millennial PC reaction would be priceless.

Can anyone tell me how Max got the nickname "the bomb thrower"? I was told long ago, and forget.
Could you imagine the commentary team in this day and age calling him that on air! The millennial PC reaction would be priceless.

If these champs are right from 2012... it is heritage related. I thought it was fight related but had never given it much thought.

Anyway toodaloo...!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4