Signings for 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
The truth is - nobody, including the club, know how much we have to spend next year as the cap isn't set. They are still negotiating this figure which has started at $8.3m and may end-up more like $9m+. If clubs have all overspent (due to assumptions that the cap would be $9.5 - 10m), then it will be interesting if there will be a fire sale, or whether this is even legally possible as players have signed contracts.

Will the NRL set a nominal figure for 2018 given the likely mass overspending, with a view to scale it back in subsequent years? All a bit of a mess because the NRL has taken too long to set a cap.

For the record - I'd suggest we need three quality signings to be a premiership threat.
  1. Hard running middle forward
  2. Quality edge backrower
  3. Strong, fast back with good hands like Nofoaluma or Rapana (wouldn't have much chance getting him).
The use of Hastings can improve our 6 / 9 positions where needed.

Evening fellow feathered friends, he's from here Bundaberg hes a Queenslander through an through. But agreed would be great for us ,he's a bit raw but has always shown potential even when younger,but he's only 20 now.Look i should do some potential scouting up here for the Sea eagles, we have had terrific talent come through here .Mal Meninga,ken Nagas ,Garry Larson ,Kaufusi boys ,Coen hess **** would love to keep an eye out for a bargin buy ;)

I tend to agree with Chip that spines win you competitions.

Tom T is obviously going to be good enough and DCE is good enough behind a quality pack. Blake Green can play the foil in the interim.

Now I have been one of Api Koroisau's biggest supporters and he is a whole hearted player but I have to concede that his service is not good enough for 80 minutes of football. I think it might be time to put Hastings at 9 and give him the goal kicking duties. He also has a good kicking game and Andrew McCulloch and Cam Smith have shown what that extra dimension can do for your side. Let's bring Api on for 10 minutes either side of half time to mix it up a bit and cause an attacking threat.

I don't think James Graham is a good signing for Manly. It might be time to put Taupau on an edge with Sironen and Jake T at lock and throw someone like Zane Tetavano into the mix. Now I understand that Taupau is a good middle forward but there are more off contract options for props then there are for edge forwards and we need something destructive running off our halves.

I also think if the rumours are true and Daniel Tupou is on the nose at the Roosters, we should snap him up.

If Bulldogs are making room for Woods we could get Graham on a good deal. Go after big Nelson from Storm. He could be anything! Hastings long term 5/8.Still think Siro will be good given time.

8 Lussick/Nelson Asofa Solomona
9 Api
10 Graham
11 Siro
12 Tapau
13 Jake

14 AFB
15 Lussick/Nelson Asofa Solomona
16 ?
17 ?

8 lussick
9 api
10 graham
11 sironen
12 taupau
13 jake

14 cullen / hastings / similar player who can play hooker... cust? watson from chooks would be great, or he could start at 5/8
15 afb
16 bainbridge
17 paseka

seems a good bet and i like the look of that.. depends if graham is playing good footy next year and year after. if not, sign a gun second rower and shift marty back to prop.
would love a geeze at zane tetevano, great player for how little hes played.
i agree with snake re hastings, could be a good rotation with him at 9 if hes up to it and takes the gk duties off walker for a fair portion of the game.

Fox Sports Market Watch have us linked to Daniel Tupou, not sure where he really fits in to the backline. I think Jorge has done enough for a contract extension.

Interestingly enough it also mentioned the below, I think Harawira-Naera would be a great second row signing. Could find some players that can't fit in at the foot of the mountain that won't break the bank.

PANTHER PROBLEM

Penrith have been forced to slow down on the retention front with the uncertainty of the 2018 salary cap leaving them in a state of limbo.

While the bulk of their top line squad is locked up long term, several depth and first grade talents remain unsigned. To complicate matters, the Panthers want to keep them.

They are: Sitaleki Akauola, Corey Harawira-Naera, Sione Katoa and Viliame Kikau.

All four remain off contract and without knowing what the cap will be, the Panthers would put themselves at risk of going over the cap and having to shed players if they re-sign them without knowing a figure for 2018.

I think we found out that against St George that we have a handfull of very good players, surrounded by many average players who in our 3 week winning run were playing above their capabilities.

We need to be very good right the way across the park which would require some significant signings.

A lot can happen in 1-2 years. Just ask Gutho. And I believe he was a junior Kangaroo, so he is no slouch.

That is true, but I am not sure we have a real need for him so I don't think a gig at Manly would appeal to Gutho. I can see him potentially in a clean swap with Moses and Gutho heads to the Tigpies.

If you have a look here you can see who is coming off contract at the end of this year

Link - Current Squad Contract Status

Looks like we have about half a dozen players in top 25 only contracted till end of this year. That includes Snake and Skivvi, but also BJ, Horhay and Frankenstein.

I had a look at off contract next season.
2nd row obvious in last 12 months we have tried to get gillet and moaeroa.
Can see value in alex glenn (yes throughbreeds brown paper bags) if not would ryan hoffman be worth a 1 to 2 year deal.
Up front matulino and other peats but all reports eels return there.

I had a look at off contract next season.
2nd row obvious in last 12 months we have tried to get gillet and moaeroa.
Can see value in alex glenn (yes throughbreeds brown paper bags) if not would ryan hoffman be worth a 1 to 2 year deal.
Up front matulino and other peats but all reports eels return there.
Glenn is a utility, not a out and out backrower. Hoffman is past his best would be myles the 2nd. Matulino is a has been, and pests would be awesome but we already have enough hookers.

Fox Sports Market Watch have us linked to Daniel Tupou, not sure where he really fits in to the backline. I think Jorge has done enough for a contract extension.

Interestingly enough it also mentioned the below, I think Harawira-Naera would be a great second row signing. Could find some players that can't fit in at the foot of the mountain that won't break the bank.

PANTHER PROBLEM

Penrith have been forced to slow down on the retention front with the uncertainty of the 2018 salary cap leaving them in a state of limbo.

While the bulk of their top line squad is locked up long term, several depth and first grade talents remain unsigned. To complicate matters, the Panthers want to keep them.

They are: Sitaleki Akauola, Corey Harawira-Naera, Sione Katoa and Viliame Kikau.

All four remain off contract and without knowing what the cap will be, the Panthers would put themselves at risk of going over the cap and having to shed players if they re-sign them without knowing a figure for 2018.

You think Taufua has done enough for a contract extension? I give him credit he is a good strong ball runner but that's where it stops. The negatives outweigh the positives and yesterday showed that Jorge will not attempt to jump for the highball and will not attempt to catch a high ball and at times some bad reads in defense which means teams can score easy tries if they persist. Big test against the Raiders with Leilua and Rapana running down that edge.

Daniel Tupou would be a step up from Jorge and I want Manly to do whatever it takes to sign Tupou for next year. Uate and Tupou would be formidable in attack and alot more safer then Jorge.

Last edited:

PANTHER PROBLEM

Ahhhhh Harawira-Naer and Kikau and then done!!

I'd take Horhay over Tupou any day. Jorge may not be great under the high ball but he offers more than Tupou in other areas.

horhay.JPG

Tupou.JPG

Jorge struggles with the high ball yet it's not happening every game it happens every 5 games and tbh not really as bad as some make it out to be. He is amazing in every other area and is impossible to stop within 20 meters of the try line. Re sign on 2 year deal, plus he's been at manly all his first grade career. If we get Tupou over him wow. Tupou is slower, skinnier, has no ball control, only plays well because of his height. Jorge got out jumped vunivalu yes but so would every other player in the NRL, maybe Turbo could out jump him but vunivalu is unstoppable in the air.

I dont think we need much more than what we've got. Certainly the back line looks top drawer in the making, though I suspect Green is only temporary and either Hastings or Tom Wright will be there in a year or so.

The forwards have potential but maybe need one or two good back rowers. I would stick with Api because though he may have passing issues, I think Barrett will have him passing and passing and passing at training to learn the skill. In other respects he's doing his job. Taupau, Jake, AFB (needs to be fitter), Lussick, Lawrence, Sironen are looking good. I'm hoping Bainbridge, Amone and Paseka reach the next level next year. Cullen is a good back up and Jamil Hopoate and Parker have to be in the mix. Winterstein is solid and Perrett and Lane may develop. Mr Plod is improving but I cant see another year with him.

Like I said we have the makings of a top 4 side in a year or two, but I think one or two top drawer back rowers are needed.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10
10 5 5 -13 10