Shoulders Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c eagle

Reserve Grader
After watching the utube clip in another post i was wondering if someone could answer this..... can some one please confirm , what has changed in regards to the shoulder charge this year..... watching those clips , he dosnt turn his body, but stays square and wraps an arm..... surely this is still legal, great shots that should be rewarded....... its the pritchard rubbish that needs to be remove, anyone who takes out a player without/off the ball should be penalised...

c eagle said:
After watching the utube clip in another post i was wondering if someone could answer this..... can some one please confirm , what has changed in regards to the shoulder charge this year..... watching those clips , he dosnt turn his body, but stays square and wraps an arm..... surely this is still legal, great shots that should be rewarded....... its the pritchard rubbish that needs to be remove, anyone who takes out a player without/off the ball should be penalised...

Matai will be fine. like you said, as long as theres a decent attempt at wrapping up and first contact is on the inside of the shoulder from my understanding its fine.

It was mentioned in that other thread that all but 1 of the hits (the dubious one was the broncos game) should be legal under the new rules because he goes in to wrap the ball up. Also highlights that you can hit as hard as a shoulder charge, but do it legally.

Brookie said:
he will definitely be targeted.
1. he plays for manly
2. his reputation

This is the problem for Stevie. Almost every tackle he does is an arm wrap-around which is perfectly legal under current rules, but the impact is awesome. The rule is to stop players launching into the chest using their shoulder. That is not a typical Matai tackle. All the same, I expect him to be pinged on-field but if it went to the judiciary he should be cleared.

Steve will be fine. It's the contact with the head that he gets in trouble for. If he can keep away from that he won't have to change his style at all.

Stevie will be fine , he drives in with the shoulder (which is what you get tought as a youngster) with his arm by his side to try and wrap up the player in the tackle.. nothing wrong there, his hits are actually clean , barring when the arm slips up and wraps the chin lol - accidently

Only time he gets in trouble is when he goes for that shot and his arm slips up to high and wraps the head , that would be the only concern but nothing wrong with his shoulder tackles IMO.

Its more so to stamp out the big run turn your body side on and hit with point of the shoulder with your arms by your side type shots isnt it ? thats my understanding anyway.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8