Should Mat Johns be stood down from the footy show?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Tookey where do you get that info? The matter is still  in local court, there is no judge, the defence does not 'exchange evidence' with anyone, although the DPP have to serve their evidence on the defence...

And missing_something .... do you know something the rest of us don't?

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Tookey where do you get that info? The matter is still  in local court, there is no judge, the defence does not 'exchange evidence' with anyone, although the DPP have to serve their evidence on the defence...

I'd have to know what you know to answer that question.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=180326.msg223270#msg223270 date=1242543533]

I'd have to know what you know to answer that question.
[/quote]
Touche! I have no inside info, just what's been published.
Although I understand that if the charge proceeds to trial there would be immense pressure to plead to some lesser charge because of the consequence if found guilty..and no-one can ever predict what a jury will decide. that's all.

Noodler93 link said:
well, agree with some points there, but the treat like your daughter line doesn't cut it.
Entitled to your view Noddler.  Perhaps if I put another perspective that you might closer relate to.  Would a Menzies or a Lyon think with their brains or think with their dicks?  Would they hit the headlines a la Matty Johns?

Blind Freddie knows compared to conventional methods, nothing good's going to come of a bun except contageous diseases, headlines and lots of tears - if ya think that's good.  If he couldn't see the potential for significant tears down the track for him and everyone else then Matty Johns was awfully niave for a 31 years-old. And when I say naive, read mindf#%kingly stupid.

Matty Johns' suspension was always plotted by channel 9 to be a temporary affair a la Sam Neuman.  Win ratings on his exit, win ratings on his return.

"Matt was such an important part of the show, it's hard to see how to progress without him," one network insider said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/trimming-the-fat-footy-show-may-face-overhaul/2009/05/16/1242335930897.html

Rex link said:
Matty Johns' suspension was always plotted by channel 9 to be a temporary affair a la Sam Neuman.  Win ratings on his exit, win ratings on his return.
  Probably.  But it will be a body blow to the network if they do I believe.  A lot of women in particular will hold it against them.  It will show nothing has changed since Jessica Rowe was boned.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...60-661,00.html

Matthew Johns sex-storm woman marries
Article from: Herald Sun

Janet Fife-Yeomans

May 18, 2009 12:00am

THE woman at the centre of the Matthew Johns sex scandal has since married a rugby union player.

The couple live overseas, where friends said she was "trying to get on with her life".

Her family in New Zealand, who knew nothing about the 2002 group sex scandal until last week, refused to comment.

But the owner of the Racecourse Hotel in Christchurch said that while rugby league stalwart Johns and the Cronulla Sharks were welcome back at the hotel, their alleged victim was not.

John Butterfield said the Sharks squad who stayed there in 2002 were "a great bunch of guys".

He criticised their accuser, then a 19-year-old university student who worked part-time at the hotel.

"It's buggered Matthew Johns's whole life," Mr Butterfield said.

Mr Butterfield said the woman had crowed to staff about a sexual liaison with two footballers in the men's toilet at a sports bar the night before the group sex session.

It is not known if they were Cronulla players.

She claims that on the following night, Cronulla players climbed in through the bathroom window of Room 15, where she was having sex with Johns and Brett Firman.

Mr Butterfield, whose son built the motel-style unit, said that was not possible.

"There's no way you can get through the window," he said.

"They were a great bunch of guys. It was a pleasure to have them here. They would be welcomed back any time."

Mr Butterfield said he felt sorry for Johns and his family.

"His kids think of him as a hero, and he is. But he's being portrayed as a gang rapist, and he isn't," he said.

"I'm just disgusted that a staff member would carry on like that. They have to realise - and it's in their contract - they are not allowed to fraternise with the guests.

"It's a no-no.

"I was really brassed off about it all, that a member of staff would do this in the hotel.

"It's a sad thing, the whole thing, but there's nothing that I could have done or that the manager could have done."

His wife, Yvonne Butterfield, said she had sympathy for the Johns family and she "wouldn't like my children to live with that".

"I do think the others who were there should all admit it, but then again it's going to cause so much more grief," she said.

Christchurch police said there was no evidence to lay criminal charges against any of the Sharks squad.

Nor would they charge the young woman with making a false complaint.

Interesting, funny, tragic to watch.  Cronulla has lost its sponsors.  Now set to lose it's major sponsor, worth $1m per year.  And looks at serious risk of dying altogether.  Other sponsors of Cronulla and other clubs (presumably our own included) are lining up to consider fleeing.  The Catholic church is threatening to remove rugby league from its sporting program.  Can we imagine the impact of that single move? No company or organisation wants to be seen alongside images of men abusing women. The message is that brutal on the field is one thing but brutal off the field is another entirely, especially towards women.

Undaunted, people are STILL persisting on their high horse, moralising how this should not be happening.  How it is not fair.  Having trouble adapting to the real world.

Two words on paper stuck to wall, visible everytime we get up:

"The Writing"

yeah because the catholic Church is something that should be held up as an icon of moral excellence, give me a break!!

Maybe the NRL should break ties with the kiddy fiddlers themselves.

Rex, you are reminding me more and more of a philosophical poster on One Eyed Eagle, many years ago. Do you go back to those days?

I broke with the Catholics decades ago and haven't suffered.  Hypocrites and pedo's the lot of them.   

SeaEagleRock8 link said:

Ok call it a magistrate instead of a judge. 

Surely the defence will be providing at least some of their evidence to the DPP.  Otherwise how would the DPP be able to decide whether to proceed with the charges, withdraw them or negotiate a plea bargain?

I am confident that charges will not proceed against him.

Fro link said:
yeah because the catholic Church is something that should be held up as an icon of moral excellence, give me a break!!

Maybe the NRL should break ties with the kiddy fiddlers themselves.

There it is again Fro, moralising about the Catholic Church this time. It's like a game of getting the angels on your side and the devils on the other.  And one man's angel is the next man's devil. Matty Johns is the angel and Claire (or whoever) is the devil, or vice versa.

This is a practical question, not a moral one.  What would be the impact on the game of the Catholic Church switching loyalties entirely away from Rugby League to Union, Football or Aussie Rules - as they are threatening to do? Just that single organisation.  Is it possible to consider that question without any moral judgements?

DSM5 link said:
I broke with the Catholics decades ago and haven't suffered.  Hypocrites and pedo's the lot of them.   
So using Socratean logic:

If all Catholics are hypocrites and pedos, and you were a Catholic, does this mean you were a hypocrite and pedo DSM?

:)

ManlyBacker link said:
Rex, you are reminding me more and more of a philosophical poster on One Eyed Eagle, many years ago. Do you go back to those days?
Yeah, you're right MB, I do go back to those days.  Go back decades before and longer actually. Depending on who I am, which I'm still looking into. :)

Rex, way back then, I was to young to even think that one could put something into a lad besides food.  Hypocrite?  perhaps.  And, is it possible to question anything without morals intruding?  I think not.   

DSM5 link said:
... And, is it possible to question anything without morals intruding?  I think not.   
Galileo and Darwin discovered that's a typical Catholic's way of looking at the world DSM. Some stains don't wash.

tookey link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=180326.msg223270#msg223270 date=1242543533]

Ok call it a magistrate instead of a judge. 

Surely the defence will be providing at least some of their evidence to the DPP.  Otherwise how would the DPP be able to decide whether to proceed with the charges, withdraw them or negotiate a plea bargain?

I am confident that charges will not proceed against him.
[/quote]
All just a guess of course, but the defence quite possibly has no evidence apart from the evidence that Brett might give, and unfortunately he was quoted (hopefully misquoted) - in banner headlines on the front page of a newspaper - by some helpful idiot at the time as saying he couldn't remember what had happened.
The defence has to consider negotiating. But how that occurs, what is offered etc will depend largely on the strength of the crown case. Which we don't really know, but Brett's lawyers would have a fair idea by now. Anyhow I hope you are right that the charges don't go ahead.

Matthew Johns to consider legal avenues

DISGRACED Nine Network personality Matthew Johns is believed to be exploring his legal options as holes have begun to emerge in the story of the woman who was involved in a group-sex incident with Cronulla players in 2002.

Johns was stood down indefinitely by Nine last week following a damaging ABC Four Corners report that included accounts from victims of several sex scandals to have blighted rugby league in recent years.

Johns also lost his position onthe Melbourne Storm coaching staff.

While Johns was considering what he could do to save his future, Four Corners issued a statement yesterday to answer several questions or criticisms that have arisen from the story, including concerns it was biased against the football and TV star.

"Four Corners cannot control what is said in the outer reaches of the internet," the statement said. "We can correct some of the rumours and untruths being printed or broadcast in the mainstream media. In doing so we would also like to set the record straight on how the story came into being.

"Matthew Johns spoke to Four Corners on numerous occasions about the events, and we included comments he made in the story.

"He declined, however, to give an on-camera interview to Four Corners and answer more detailed questions about his role in the incident."

Johns's decision to stand down was triggered after a woman, then 19, referred to as "Clare", revealed that up to six players, including Johns, had sex or performed degrading acts on her while another six watched in a room of the Racecourse Hotel outside Christchurch in New Zealand.

She said the incident had left her feeling suicidal and admitted she felt like killing the players who had been involved.

However, it is believed the Johns camp is now looking at its legal options after the woman's character was called into question during the past week.

She has been accused of bragging about the group-sex incident with Johns and other players, and having a threesome with football players the night before it happened.

While Johns has admitted his involvement in the group-sex incident, he has maintained the woman was a willing participant at all times.

This was backed up by a police investigation in 2002 that yielded no charges on the issue that the act had been consensual.

The scandal forced a public apology from NRL chief executive David Gallop and has triggered several sponsors to withdraw their support from the Sharks, costing the club $150,000.

Yesterday's lengthy statement from Four Corners included a plea from Clare to be left alone and an attempt to debunk some of the myths that have been circulating since the program went to air.

These included that Clare had bragged about the incident, that it would have been impossible for a player to climb through the bathroom window to watch, and that no one involved was ever taken out of context.

"Most of the activity that took place during the incident is not disputed," the statement said. "Players and staff gave graphic accounts to police of the sexual activity.

"One player told police that at least one of them had climbed in through the bathroom window and crawled commando-style along the floor of the room.

"As far as Clare's state of mind at the time is concerned, when she made a complaint to Christchurch police a few days after the incident, police noted her distress in their reports.

"She was in tears and found it very difficult to describe what had happened. Days later, the police also noted that some comments she made suggesting she was not distressed were a mechanism for coping with what had happened."

The story has taken its toll on the embattled Cronulla club after it slumped to its eighth consecutive loss for the season last Saturday night.

The club is expected to part company with major backer, LG Electronics - which tips in $1million a year - at the end of the season.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25509188-2722,00.html

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8