Shaun "Exit" Lane mega thread.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Lane showed a bit of his oft reputed potential last night. Needs to consistently deliver those sort of performances before i’m becoming a card carrying member of his fan club.

Althewomanspal

Reserve Grader
I think he looked a better coming off the bench and playing in the middle. Him and tanginoa were great. If AFB controls his discipline our middle 4 rotation is looking solid.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Playing Lane as a front rower was probably the best coaching move Barrett did before and during the game. It forced him to be involved, he couldn't be lazy and hide out on the edges.

It seemed to bring out something close to his best. I hope we see a hell of a lot more of it.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I've said this in a couple of threads, but will say it here.

It seems to me that Barrett moving him to the front row is the best thing that could have happened to Shaun Lane, football wise. As a back rower he has a tendency to be lazy. He sometimes hides out on the edges and doesn't get involved as often as he could or should, often running more decoys than running the ball. But in the middle he is forced to get involved because there is nowhere to hide. He has to take hit ups and he has to get involved in defence and that allows him (and the team) to use his 6'6", 115kg frame and his skills to best advantage.

According to the stats on NRL.com, in two games off the bench as a front rower Lane has so far had 3 offloads, made 30 tackles with an 80.4% efficiency, has run for a total of 255 metres (averaging 127.5), made one line break and scored one try. Compare this to 2017 when his best stats across 9 games read like 4 offloads, 3 line breaks, 3 line break assists and 2 tries.

So far I'd have Shaun Lane the prop over Shaun Lane the 2nd rower in my team any day.

Freagle

Bencher
Holdenv8, I was about to post a thread saying exactly this, but you beat me to it - I couldn't agree more, the way he steps through tackles and is surprisingly dominant in the rough stuff is testimony to the fact he is much better off when he stays involved. He can still run good lines one pass off the ruck, so can make use of his speed and footwork, but he hasn't been shirking the hard hit-ups either. I am both happy and surprised he is going so well there.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
He was a machine through the middle yesterday. I feel a tad sorry for blokes who can't get into our team at the moment but you can't begrudge the ones who are there, they've grabbed their chance and none more so than Lane.

Yeah you have to feel a bit for guys like Gosiewski and even Frank Winterstein. Jack scored 4 tries on Saturday and probably thought that he would be a good chance at first grade against his old club next week.....then the NRL pack comes out and completely dominates doesn't-matta in one of the most powerhouse performances I've seen in a long time.

Lane is so much more effective in the middle of the park where he has to stay involved, and Tanginoa, while a bit quieter yesterday than last week, has done nothing wrong other than finding out the hard way not to butt heads with Kapow. And then there was Perrett who came back to first grade with a bang.

manly al

First Grader
Now the issue is can Manly retain all of these capable middle forwards presently off contract after 2018 , in Lane , Tanga , Darcy and Paseka . Be really good if they can .

HoldenV8

Journey Man
The only place we really don't have quality depth is the halves. Outside of DCE, Croker and Hastings we are rather short there.

Though I did notice yesterday when Croker was off that Hastings still played dummy half while Api moved to 5/8......

manly al

First Grader
The only place we really don't have quality depth is the halves. Outside of DCE, Croker and Hastings we are rather short there.

Though I did notice yesterday when Croker was off that Hastings still played dummy half while Api moved to 5/8......
That was interesting and i noticed that as well. Also I would not discount Tom Wright being considered as a ist grade 5 /8 this season if the circumstances required it .

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Other than form or injury which is always a possibility, the only other thing would be if Cherry got picked for Origin. And regardless what form he's in, he's probably 5th in line there behind Morgan, Munster, Milford and Hunt.

About the only Qld half he seems to be in front of in the pecking order is Norman who was pathetic at best yesterday.

They talked up DCE when he was the form half before Origin last year, then proceeded to pick Milford, Munster and Hunt in front of him. And Hunt had actually been dropped to Qld Cup a few weeks before and had only been back in first grade for about 2 weeks come Game 3. No matter how well he plays for Manly I feel that he'll only get picked again if they have an injury crisis. Even now with Morgan out injured and seemingly for a while, they'll give him every chance before considering DCE and would probably go for Hunt or even put out an SOS to Cronk first.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly

I noticed that too.

Given that we were steamrolling them, and baz knew croker was coming back on, he stuck to the original game plan and held Hastings in position.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16