Serves Des right

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A freshen up is needed. Bit more of a kick up the behind then blooding a couple of kids. This team has for way too long now taken the easy out, Im looking at our captain.

For me he could be the best ever in Maroon and White, but his kicking game and resulting game management reflects what's missing.

He has a long boot, but clearly struggles with feel. It's simply not enough hard work. The biggest issue? Has his kicking game changed or improved since 2011?

Under Baz couldn't land bombs near the try line. Instead of improvement the game plan went to landing them 10 metres out.

Under DES that grubber into the ingoal goes too long too often, instead of improvement, the game plan has moved to just getting tackled on the last.

Good teams get down that end and keep us there and wear us out.

Conversions. DCE might not have wanted that job, but he needed it.

Everyone always remembers the field goals he kicks off his left foot to win the game. Time and time again a lack of game management to get into correct spot and distance to kick the percentage play off his right foot.
Mate to give DCE stick after his performance is a joke. He kicked that ball on a string to Jorge to score. Put Jake in with a great inside ball. His kicking game has been great lately, especially long kicking game. His short kicking game could improve but thats what was so good about Cust as he added a bit more threat there.

DCE is the best halfback in the comp and if he had any half decent players surrounding him we would be top 4. The problem is list management. We hang onto deadwood and average reserve graders on a “loyalty basis” which is beyond loyalty - its the definition of insanity: trying something over and over and expecting different results.

DCE is about our only gun in the backline. Its on Des and his coaching staff to surround him with better players.

The injuries excuse is the biggest crock of **** I’ve ever heard - how do we not have a ready made replacement for Tom who is clearly injury prone?

Raiders: CNK gone - Rapana in
Roosters: Teddy gone - Morris / Manu in
Storm: Pap gone - Hynes would go in
Knights: Ponga gone - Hoy in.

It is lunacy we dont have a good backline player like a Rapana who can play great first grade on the wing/centre and then fill in in fullback. You don’t have to break the bank to get a half decent versatile player - you just have to not be an idiot and recruit properly or have faith in youth.

Coaching decisions this year have been terrible and Des needs to have a good hard look at himself and his roster if we are to improve.

Thats why Brisbane have lost game after game. Bringing in alot of younger blokes isn't the way to go. You need a good balance of experience and youth and to make matters worse no NSW cup being played really makes bringing younger blokes in hard with no form to go by..
Every other team in same boat . No excuse at all. Other teams bringing players in all the time as injuries have been rife this year.

Brisbane is totally different . Other than three or four woefully underperforming veterans under extreme pressure they are all kids with no halves.

We have Aus halfback , Current Aus reps in two Turbots , two of the best and very experienced props in game , veterans in Sirro and Thommo , Levi has played plenty of games ..and our senior players are not going that badly . totally different scenario. It’s simply that our second tier run on players are reserve graders.

Last edited:
agree with your post except for Levi - who is pretty ordinary.
We can't compete with the top sides with the likes of Croker, Elliott, Goseski & Garrick, they give us almost nothing in attack.
Actually I reckon Croker is a minus 8 to 10 points a game player (pro rata's to his time on the field) due to his mistakes, poor choices and wasted opportunities.
I’m no big wrap on Levi but he’s the only hooker we have which is ridiculous in itself. Mainly referred to him because he is an experienced player in answer to the Brisbane comparison.

You can't just bring in alot of young players at the same time. We need to bring them in slowly but I do agree we can experiment with Hoppa or Schuster from our reserves in the coming rounds
Imagine bringing a high quality future star in Schuster, to come in and be playing with Levi as the ruck runner/play organiser....then throw in DCE headless chook displays when our forwards get put under pressure.
Croker as dummy half, even worse
Parker on one side trying to run through brick walls getting knocked out every 2nd week.
I think it may all look a little ugly.
Seriously don’t think we have the 9 to blood this kid right now.
Plus, Cust is a halfback....
It’s a conundrum I say!

Last edited:
Mate to give DCE stick after his performance is a joke. He kicked that ball on a string to Jorge to score. Put Jake in with a great inside ball. His kicking game has been great lately, especially long kicking game. His short kicking game could improve but thats what was so good about Cust as he added a bit more threat there.

DCE is the best halfback in the comp and if he had any half decent players surrounding him we would be top 4. The problem is list management. We hang onto deadwood and average reserve graders on a “loyalty basis” which is beyond loyalty - its the definition of insanity: trying something over and over and expecting different results.

DCE is about our only gun in the backline. Its on Des and his coaching staff to surround him with better players.

The injuries excuse is the biggest crock of **** I’ve ever heard - how do we not have a ready made replacement for Tom who is clearly injury prone?

Raiders: CNK gone - Rapana in
Roosters: Teddy gone - Morris / Manu in
Storm: Pap gone - Hynes would go in
Knights: Ponga gone - Hoy in.

It is lunacy we dont have a good backline player like a Rapana who can play great first grade on the wing/centre and then fill in in fullback. You don’t have to break the bank to get a half decent versatile player - you just have to not be an idiot and recruit properly or have faith in youth.

Coaching decisions this year have been terrible and Des needs to have a good hard look at himself and his roster if we are to improve.
I agree with most of what you say but I do have to take issue with your claim that DCE had the ball on a string when he kicked to George. He duffed that kick badly and it was luck that it bounced into George’s hands. If Cleary had kicked it, more likely than not, it would have sailed cleanly the the winger.

Panthers game plan last night was simple, the same as Parra. The big boys go forward and they run hard, Throw the ball around and give early ball to your young stars and let them do their thing. Cleary has the polish at the end of sets but they really just throw it from one side to the other and just play natural footy. We are way too structured and slow at it. Speed and power wins games this day and age and we are the slowest team in the comp and besides AFB and Taupau and Suli we really don't have any power either.

game hasnt gone past des , but he needs to stop begin so trusting, we can all see cust is our 5/8 , and walker needs to replace parker. Yesterday was a no brainer , why you wouldnt have cust in the 5/8 role beggers belive , anyway , hopefully he is on from here on in and just cements that spot

Maybe but they are the Warriors 13 plus you wait and see

The Warriors took care of the Tiger's side, a team with a far better for and against than the Sea Eagles, and the Tiges are a pretty competitive side having given Souths and Parra tough games and demolishing Brisbane in recent weeks, .even though most teams are giving the Broncs a towelling recently I guess. It wont be an easy match if the Warriors are on their game. They will be likely to beat Manly if Des doesn't do some shrewd selection changes

The Warriors took care of the Tiger's side, a team with a far better for and against than the Sea Eagles, and the Tiges are a pretty competitive side having given Souths and Parra tough games and demolishing Brisbane in recent weeks, .even though most teams are giving Brisbane a towelling recently I guess. It wont be an easy match if the Warriors are on their game
The tigers are pretty crap though.. they have great games and terrible games. They had a doozy against the Warriors. Des and manly have a great record against them and after last night you watch us cream them. Cust will be back and slow ass parker will be out. Could be a surprise debut on the cards

The tigers are pretty crap though.. they have great games and terrible games. They had a doozy against the Warriors. Des and manly have a great record against them and after last night you watch us cream them. Cust will be back and slow ass parker will be out. Could be a surprise debut on the cards

My guess is Funa. Good player, shows promise, quick footed but if Schuster has been training in the centres you know who I'd pick.

One name for me. Get Schuster in the game somewhere. He's a player who knows how to make oppositions second guess and sets up his outside players with aplomb. And he's a big man who wont be easily muscled. He must be in the team to get some creativity happening
Definitely very, very talented full of promise. I think he would do extra well with Tom in the side. ATM, not sure there would be much difference.
Maybe centre is a nice place to start in for Brad.
That way he can just run and do his one on ones defensively.
Cust inside him would be a huge boost from SG days.
Truly hope it happens soon, but not at 6

My guess is Funa. Good player, shows promise, quick footed but if Schuster has been training in the centres you know who I'd pick.
Love to see Funa in the side, not sure what he did wrong.
He made some very good choices in limited appearances.
Maybe wing is his spot, but man our guys are lightweights in the back 3.
Jorge is getting pilloried on these boards, and rightly so on some of his defensive reads. But at least he brings the ball back strongly and good to smash someone who isn’t looking now and then.
Big job for Des to decide, we are at a bit of a tipping point

Would be interested to know what the plan is for when Thompson leaves, who are we grooming to step into his shoes
Based on 2019 it looked as if they were looking at Guacamole, now with Des it is a mystery he may play JetSki or Waddell there.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4