Send-offs in the 'six again', size and speed era

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member
In the current era of rugby league with six agains, betting, head contact rules, shoulder charge rules, etc., it's my opinion that they should consider other options to leaving a side one or more players short whilst protecting player welfare..

When teams are similarly matched it's almost always game over.

I also don't recall the last time I saw a player that appeared to intentionally harm an opposing player's head.

My concern is that it's the action of the player, not the team (as it always been I know). We saw Manly suffer when Lawton got sent (legitimately) in early minutes last year for what I'm sure was accidental (the ideas below came from this incident).

My suggestion would be...

Penalty given - two points if kickable

Offending player sent off for game - to face judiciary and suffer appropriate penalty

A replacement player - back for back player, forward for forward, from interchange spot to replace sent-off player

Points Penalty: 8 points awarded to opposing team (= converted try plus 2 points)

This would effectively give the opposing team a try plus two to four points advantage whilst the offending team loses the offending player and an interchange, and the offending player suffers suspension for x games at judiciary.

I still believe this would protect players welfare with significant targetted penalties whilst maintaining the spectacle of the game.

Just my thoughts, keen to hear other suggestions/opinion.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Agree totally. The impact of the game is such a Signiant imbalance it destroys the contest. We have 4 on the bench and an 18th man. Having an extra man on the bench is advantage enough in the circus the new game has become with the six again rule. Tickets cost too much for a contest to be destroyed after only 7 minutes. The NRL are a weird bunch in some occasions they change rules on a whim almost instantly that significantly affect the spectacle our game once was, but in respect of other problematic rules like this one and the debacle the bunker has become they have their feet stuck in mud.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I thought the 10 m was huge last night despite the lack of penalties for infringing

Is it possible to dislike slater more as a coach than player. Its coming . Dude has a stick up his arse ,

The '47ers

When Eagles are silent Parrots begin to chatter
In the current era of rugby league with six agains, betting, head contact rules, shoulder charge rules, etc., it's my opinion that they should consider other options to leaving a side one or more players short whilst protecting player welfare..

When teams are similarly matched it's almost always game over.

I also don't recall the last time I saw a player that appeared to intentionally harm an opposing player's head.

My concern is that it's the action of the player, not the team (as it always been I know). We saw Manly suffer when Lawton got sent (legitimately) in early minutes last year for what I'm sure was accidental (the ideas below came from this incident).

My suggestion would be...

Penalty given - two points if kickable

Offending player sent off for game - to face judiciary and suffer appropriate penalty

A replacement player - back for back player, forward for forward, from interchange spot to replace sent-off player

Points Penalty: 8 points awarded to opposing team (= converted try plus 2 points)

This would effectively give the opposing team a try plus two to four points advantage whilst the offending team loses the offending player and an interchange, and the offending player suffers suspension for x games at judiciary.

I still believe this would protect players welfare with significant targetted penalties whilst maintaining the spectacle of the game.

Just my thoughts, keen to hear other suggestions/opinion.

You'd have to go through it with coaches eyes, they always look for loopholes in everything.
Manly would pick me, I'd run out and gladly hipdrop and/or headbutt a Rapana, Mahoney, Gutherson etc. Get sent, then be replaced by Paseka.

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member
Wayne Bennett says send-offs should now see teams lose three interchanges, but should not result in teams losing a player on the field.

Link...https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne-bennett-goes-nuclear-over-nrl-refereeing-farce/news-story/ae89c6be8cf9c6ce639a23142d646b1b

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
While on this topic, a send off is a huge disadvantage but a player can be put on report twice and may not even go to the bin.
How does that work?
Yeah rediculous really but it is the no idea rugby league so anything like that is not surprising.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
A different game but fwiw:

(ice) hockey.

Usually played 5 on 5 - they say this, but for some reason they don't count the goalie (lol) so there's actually 6 per side. Anyway....

So 5 on 5 (3 forwards, 2 defence people)

Minor penalty 2 minutes.
It becomes 5 v 4 for 2 mins or until the other team scores.

fighting:
Both players go off for 5 minutes but teams still play 5 v 5

10 minute misconduct
Player off for 10 but teams still at full strength

Game misconduct:
Player gets an early shower but teams play at full strength.

etc etc etc - the list goes on but the point is teams are not in the situation where they play a whole game one person down for 1 action by 1 player 1 time.

(sure, if player gives away 30 consecutive 2 minute penalties, then the team is down a player for the whole game, lol.)

I think Wayne has a point in amongst it all regarding the send offs. there has to be a better option in this era of 'rugba leegue is entertainment' then making it 13 v 12.

He also had a fair crack at the refs but mixed it in with the send off situations - smartly hiding it so he wont be fined by the nrl, haha.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I think Wayne has a point in amongst it all regarding the send offs. there has to be a better option in this era of 'rugba leegue is entertainment' then making it 13 v 12.
Yeah some interesting ideas from ice hockey, such as player off until the other side scores.
The idea of losing several interchanges as well as the actual offender makes some sense, would take away any incentive to select a thug simply to take out the opposition's best player.
And I thought this was a good point he made:
"The send-off was created in 1908. There were T Model Fords in 1908. We still have cars today. But, geez, the cars have changed enormously. Yet we still have the same send-off." @:D

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yeah some interesting ideas from ice hockey, such as player off until the other side scores.
The idea of losing several interchanges as well as the actual offender makes some sense, would take away any incentive to select a thug simply to take out the opposition's best player.
"The send-off was created in 1908. There were T Model Fords in 1908. We still have cars today. But, geez, the cars have changed enormously. Yet we still have the same send-off." @:D

It was October 1908 as well, so he just got it right.

Though he was probably around then to check.

Once Was Brissie Kid

Reserve Grader
Take your pick as to what will happen early in Origin Game 3 to ruin it as a contest.

The early sendoff ruined Origin Game 1.

The early six agains & soft penalties all going one way ruined Origin 2.

The only decent contest in a big game recently was last year's grand final. In that game the referee and bunker put the whistle away and no six agains and sin bins.

seaeagles4life

Reserve Grader
Couple of changes I would make;

Professional Foul Sin Bins to be deemed 'soft bins', 10 mins unless the opposing team scores a try then that player is allowed to return to play. I don't see any benefit having a team score 3 tries in a 10 min period because one player held a player back or down too long.

Foul play sin bins remain 10 mins in full.

Send offs as most has said, 10 mins with 12 players then offending team had to use an interchange to bring a 13th man back onto the field and the offending player is out for the match.

manly al

First Grader
Send offs are a pretty rare event at the higher League levels and almost always of an accidental but careless nature so maybe no general alterations required there .
But of course can also take into account the general resulting interest as a spectacle then
If Leniu was able to jag that try in game one and get N S W within range , unlikely but maybe could have made a game of it and any points penalty benefit awarded with that send off, could represent a further disadvantage to the side down a player in a similar situation .
Probably more grievances with the consistencies with ruck infringements , high contact and so on and subsequent adjudication .
Seems some very doubtful discretion given on a not irregular basis with ruck penalty interpretations to say the least

47MVEagle

Bencher
That situation we were in a few weeks ago against the dragons was ridiculous - Paseka & Sipley off after early match-ending injuries, Garrick off for 2 HIAs (the second from foul play) & Waddell hobbling around on one leg on a crook ankle while our 18th man (Schoupp) sat there catching a cold.

If ever there was a situation that should have activated the 18th man it should have been Tuipulotu’s shoulder to Garrick’s head that resulted in him having to stay off the rest of the game. It would have been a back for a back.

The NRL needs to reassess 18th man activation rules after that.

bringbackbeaver

Reserve Grader
Less is way more. The 6 again rule has ruined the game. Who wants to see 40 points scored at origin level. The 6 again rule has taken all the intensity out of origin and first grade. Totally subjective and has changed the foundations of the game and not for the better.
What always perplexes me is when refs get a such a big wrap for keeping the whistle in the pocket but then they decide to do the opppsite
We need refs but no one comes to a game to judge the refs performance. Stay out of it

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Less is way more. The 6 again rule has ruined the game. Who wants to see 40 points scored at origin level. The 6 again rule has taken all the intensity out of origin and first grade. Totally subjective and has changed the foundations of the game and not for the better.
What always perplexes me is when refs get a such a big wrap for keeping the whistle in the pocket but then they decide to do the opppsite
We need refs but no one comes to a game to judge the refs performance. Stay out of it

If you want to watch Rugby League, get down to your local A grade on the weekend.

The NRL is only providing "entertainment", barely passable as Rugby League.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
They got you on a technicality - don't think they even blow the whistle for 6 again, just flap their arm about or something.
Re-starting the count of 6 is too big a disadvantage, especially considering half the time fans, commentators and probably even players don't even know what the infringement was for.
How about 2 extra tackles, not 6

Under the Sticks

The spirit of Mooney 🦅
Premium Member
I thought he was referring to "City Ford" ripping off rugba leegue since the 1980s

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
14 10 4 118 24
15 10 5 77 24
15 9 6 161 20
15 8 7 64 20
14 8 6 60 20
15 7 7 28 19
15 7 8 21 18
15 8 7 -8 18
15 7 8 -47 18