Self belief and desire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
What annoys me about last nights Grand Final is that, on paper, neither of those sides are better than ours - except that they have a quality halfback and don't carry any passengers.

We're doing something about the halfback situation with Orford joining us. I just hope the coaching staff start to select players based on their self belief and desire next year. We can't afford to carry no-hopers that are big on potential and very short on delivery.

Lets not forget the following:

Against this year's Premiers we:

1. Beat them very easily at their home ground in the trials.
2. Beat them easily at Brookvale with a weakened side.
3. Lost heavily to them at Lechardt and kick started their winning run.

Against this year's runners up we lost controversially in the last minute at Brookvale.

Even with a ****ty halfback and a pea for heart forward we got close to both sides. The difference was we didn't believe we could win in the latter half of the year and captain calamity couldn't rally the troops enough to make them show any modicum of desire.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Something that good coaching has a lot to do with.

Sheens was the man that got them home, utilizing surrender tactics when being tackled proved a winner for him for allowing quick play the balls. There Forwards all had good passing games.

The Tigers has changed the way the game is played.

Agreed Mata- it also makes me wonder why the coaching staff couldn't see these glaringly obvious problems and try to fix them throughout the course of the year.

Well, we get to play them in a trial at Brookvale next year.

That will be a very good early season litmus test.

It's not often that the Premiers get stronger the next year. However, with O'Hara, Harris and Lolesi coming on board .............

they only lose O'Neill, Richards and Elford.

It worries me with Harris as well...I have a feeling he may well go a bit better next year under a different coach.
It wouldn't be the first time we have burnt ourselves like that (Orford).

So it will all depend on injuries for them now.

Remember Round One this year? The Bulldogs carving up and everyone saying - who is going to be able to beat them?

I will be interested to see how the likes of the Bulldogs and the Roosters go this year in particular the form of Anasta at the Roosters and SB Williams at the Bulldogs.
Injury free I still rate SBW very highly.

I think the problem was we trained in the off season to have a bulked up forward pack and basically to outmuscle every other team which was mainly a ploy because of our limited backline talent when SOO and injuries came up and we lost our forward dominance the other teams with more expansive games came into their own. It was interesting to read how the Tigers based their off season training on skills work rather than gym work and reaped the benefits as the season progressed. Sheens was said to have gone back to the way teams played in the 80's when a lot of the current coaches were either still playing or in short pants. It will be interesting to see how all the other teams train this off season

Our skills level is poor compared to other teams. I don't think the Tiger's team has more ability than our lot but their skill level is higher as is their ability to react to situations in a game. Prince reads the play very well. (Thankfully Orford will rectify that problem next year.)

The quick hands, short passing game of the Tigers was a revelation - at times they looked like a Rugby team in the way they used the ball. They didn't over-rely on their power game!!!

(Thankfully Orford will rectify that problem next year.)
Orford is a great player as is Bell.
We had and still do have a great backrow.
Stewart played very well as did some of the others.
But Orford or not we must play like a well oiled machine we must play as a team work with the guy!
Get rid of the weak links;
Motto should be work or get stood down!
WE HAD FAR TOO MANY WEAK LINKS!
FAR TOO MANY WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THEIR WORK FOR THEM.
THAT IS METERS AND TACKLING BOTH
I FEEL THAT DESSIE LET THEM RUN HIM!
Princess was not the only lazy fairy!
In saying that he could hold his place in the best of the useless prize! But! We still have him.

(Thankfully Orford will rectify that problem next year.)
Orford is a great player as is Bell.
We had and still do have a great backrow.
Stewart played very well as did some of the others.
But Orford or not we must play like a well oiled machine we must play as a team work with the guy!
Get rid of the weak links;
Motto should be work or get stood down!
WE HAD FAR TOO MANY WEAK LINKS!
FAR TOO MANY WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THEIR WORK FOR THEM.
THAT IS METERS AND TACKLING BOTH
I FEEL THAT DESSIE LET THEM RUN HIM!
Princess was not the only lazy fairy!
In saying that he could hold his place in the best of the useless prize! But! We still have him.

POST of the YEAR!!!!

In other words we need depth. Loyalty in the players is one thing but when a better option exists it must be used.

What's the point of having depth if the coaching staff play favourites.

Blind nelly could read the stats:

King was making 1 or 2 hit ups a game whilst our biggest workhorse from 2004 languished in PL.

It was a complete debacle.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4