Sea Eagles star defers decision on his future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm serious, we have too many old players on our books and seriously need to give Sao, Jake T, Andrews more game time. Calling him a waste of space was perhaps a bit harsh, but we really need to start moving in a new direction forwards and bench wise.

I was at the game yesterday and was wearing the sports ears, the refs were talking a lot about Jason King and how he's a lot slower than the others in getting back in line, and also lining up square at marker after a tackle, they were constantly calling him back.

Peter C said:
I was at the game yesterday and was wearing the sports ears, the refs were talking a lot about Jason King and how he's a lot slower than the others in getting back in line, and also lining up square at marker after a tackle, they were constantly calling him back.

Kingy may have a case there for age discrimination. He should throw the book at the nrl over this.

Yet again I'd like to remind the Ironstines and uber-critical in this thread, the pathetic and disgraceful (waste of space) forwards we have are sitting on top of the other 15 TEAMS after 23 rounds of hard, contrasting and constant footy.

I'd say most would love to be Us, and take several of the "terrible" players we have; including our forwards.

We don't have the biggest, fastest or most menacing pack, but they're getting the job done. Along with the support and finesse of our class back line.

That's why it's called a football TEAM.

And right now the facts say we're the best.

Not saying we're above criticism.
Not saying we can't improve.

And I've agreed a player like Willie Mason (or Fui Fui ) might be useful next year; with Gift and perhaps King going.

But some of the criticism here is excessive, is unwarranted and even illogical.

15 teams would love to be in the "underperforming mess" and position we're in!

RiverEagle said:
Yet again I'd like to remind the Ironstines and uber-critical in this thread, the pathetic and disgraceful (waste of space) forwards we have are sitting on top of the other 15 TEAMS after 23 rounds of hard, contrasting and constant footy.

I'd say most would love to be Us, and take several of the "terrible" players we have; including our forwards.

We don't have the biggest, fastest or most menacing pack, but they're getting the job done. Along with the support and finesse of our class back line.

That's why it's called a football TEAM.

And right now the facts say we're the best.

Not saying we're above criticism.
Not saying we can't improve.

And I've agreed a player like Willie Mason (or Fui Fui ) might be useful next year; with Gift and perhaps King going.

But some of the criticism here is excessive, is unwarranted and even illogical.

15 teams would love to be in the "underperforming mess" and position we're in!

There are plenty of teams with much bigger problems than MWSE.

HappilyManly said:
Problem with Mason is that he has opinions :cool:
We need the strong silent type like Tamaulola.

But Epa may yet surprise us :)

YES HM!

I haven't given up hope Epa will be handy for us (even if it's not til next year).

I was wearing my sports eyes and picked up on King's tardiness too. But they can't just unload every older player now because they're no longer in their prime. Manly had a great group of young players that grew together and developed the solidarity and culture that creates the success that we've all enjoyed over the past six or seven years.
Manly do need to replace those no longer performing with those of the future whilst maintaining a balance of experience versus budget versus negative impact. Imagine what a mass clear out would do to Manly's hard earned pride and unity. If Stewart's departure is an indication of what if..? Then it seems that they are doing the best that they can do in the circumstances. They ARE unloading older players every year but to do so more expediently would compromise everything Des and Geoff started to build a decade ago. There's a reason why this group are willing to stay together for less money.
No team stays on top for very long in any sport, even without a salary cap. Teams that win get comfortable and teams that lose become driven. It's an incredible achievement in itself that these guys have been successful for so many consecutive years. An achievement that probably doesn't get the praise and adulation it deserves from the wider League community just because of who they are. Manly, the hated, the usurpers, the wife beating fascists of the 70's. Meanwhile the media love affair with South (it would be good for League if they finally won) Sydney and The Sonny Bill Roosters (seriously Ray, why don't you and Sonny get a room? Perhaps Phil can commentate as he films it) continues to roll on unashamedly as it does every year (in 2011 it was the tickerless Tigers that went off script, accidentally losing in the dying minutes to the Warriors despite the most courageous performance by the men in pink). Who remembers last years Manly v Souths Semi-Final commentary on Ch 9? When Manly struck back from the 'grave' there was dead air as the commentary team sat choking on their disbelief for several minutes. Finally Ghould offered up meekly, "Gee...what a strong team...This um err (pinch me, am I dreaming) Manly team are strong." This from the man considered a guru by many, in response to Manly scoring a try putting them ahead of a shellshocked Rabbitohs juggernaut....A man rolled out before every Origin to verbalise and evoke the necessary emotive response from NSW television viewers, promising them that Origin is still worth watching despite nearly a decade of torture.
Before I start to wax lyrical my point is this: If Manly had better options, I'm sure they would utilise them. Jake has missed a lot of the season due to injury and Ligi has had his own injury concerns and I'm not sure his performances warrant a promotion. Tyson getting the jump on him suggests not. I'm not sure they were even eligible to play first grade this year without contravening the opaque salary cap rules. Letting Glenn go without so much as a token offer suggests that the team management is willing to make the hard sacrifices for the betterment of the club. At seasons end, Glenn along with Jason and David will be gone. I don't know who else I would dump (if I ruled the world). The older players i.e. Jamie, Brett, Matt, Steve are all playing high quality football. Although I think Skivvy deserved a 2.5mil retirement package. Anthony is the only player I would consider letting go purely from a value for money perspective. Unfortunately Manly has had to heavily back-end contracts to stay on top unlike some other teams that benefit from mysterious private subsidies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6