Scrums? Help me out please

The Who

Journey Man
I'm confused (and not for the first time about current NRL rules). Are you allowed to push in the scrum these days?
I see scrums forming with wingers, centres etc and they just cuddle together, like a 60's Love In. No pushing; oh no, the idea of scrums these days is to get the ball to the front rower standing at 5/8 who would side-step his way to the tryline!
But a couple of times I've seen Doesn'tmatta push in scrums and regain the ball.
Is pushing acceptable if you are Doesn'tmatta, and illegal for other teams?
I thank you in advance for your wise counsel.

Did you notice in the game vs warriors that Perenara delayed a scrum, asking the warriors to provide a lock before it could be set?

Contrast this with the scrum penalty against manly in a recent game (v Knights?) when we fed the scrum before the lock got there and lost a fantastic attacking opportunity.

Sort of like the quick tap, some are allowed to do it others are not. Parra are pretty much allowed to as they please, as long as it means they win the game

Depends on who the ref is and what the score is. Nothing in rules to say you can't contest scrums, but you can guarantee that if someone does push that the ref would find an excuse to penalise or reset the scrum. Anyway how do you have time to push in a scrum when feeding the ball into the scrum now consists of rolling it under the locks feet - it stays in scum for about 0.5 sec. You'd have to have impeccable timing.

They should just do away with scrums altogether. Just get 6 guys from each team to lay on their backs in a line with their heads facing opposition try line and their hands behind their head. The half back has the ball and he just takes a tap to restart the game. Once the tap occurs the players on the ground can regain their feet.

Did you notice in the game vs warriors that Perenara delayed a scrum, asking the warriors to provide a lock before it could be set?

Contrast this with the scrum penalty against manly in a recent game (v Knights?) when we fed the scrum before the lock got there and lost a fantastic attacking opportunity.

Slightly different. We were one short (sin bin?) and our 2nd rower picked up the ball (as every team does with no. 8) so we were penalised as only the lock can break to do this.

Slightly different. We were one short (sin bin?) and our 2nd rower picked up the ball (as every team does with no. 8) so we were penalised as only the lock can break to do this.
ah right I didn't know it was that aspect. Would have been nice for the ref to delay the scrum until we had a lock, like Perenara did for the warriors. Or Perenara should have let them feed it and then give manly a penalty

I would prefer if packs were allowed to push. That way we may get forwards actually packing down, and backs being given a chance to attack from a scrum.

I would prefer if packs were allowed to push. That way we may get forwards actually packing down, and backs being given a chance to attack from a scrum.

Careful what you wish for Who .... it would start with a push ... then we would have turning/spinning the scrum ... then we would have collapsing .... and Nek minut ... back to the dark ages with 4 reset scrums ending in a penalty to whichever team the ref is managing ...

Careful what you wish for Who .... it would start with a push ... then we would have turning/spinning the scrum ... then we would have collapsing .... and Nek minut ... back to the dark ages with 4 reset scrums ending in a penalty to whichever team the ref is managing ...
Yes. I've lived through the era of contested scrums are they were a constant source of penalties. But they did allow the backs some space to exploit.
My serious question is that I don't know what is allowed these days in the hug-ins current players laughingly call scrums. Chip and Chase says pushing is allowed. Perhaps Annesley will explain it at his media conference?

OK. Annesley did explain the scrum rules at his media conference.
You can push in the scrums once the ball is put in - not before.
So, let's hope our Assistant Coach, the greatly experienced forward Cartwright, gives our players instructions on that. Let's win some ball through physical exertion.

Frankly, Annesley is doing the best he can. He has been saying for a while that too many knock-backs are being called knock-ons. It's been a trend over the past five years, and it is irritating. There are many instances when a ball is mishandled backwards.
So when the ref called a knock-back against Fergurson at 12-all it caused controversy - not because the call was necessarily incorrect (I think it was the right call) it was because 99% of the time when a player drops the ball it is called a knock-on.
The refs have got themselves in a bind by blindly ruling knock-ons. I hope that is about to change and RL gets back to the way the rule intended.

2 thoughts.

Make scrums compulsory for only forwards. Eg if you are number 8 thru 13 and or any forward replacements you have to be in your numbered position. Do away with backs and halves packing in to put a bigger body in the defence line. Would give some backs a much better chance at attack.

Second. Why not as a team just train to push in every scrum? As soon as the ball goes in get your **** on and push like a bitch. Obviously the other teams would need to also push but its a sound thought to mix things up.

The players see scrums as a breather as opposed to scrimmage.
The refs constantly paint themselves into corners by either neglecting or scrutinising particular rules. I am sooooo over the refs and there game management ****.

**** em

Pissed that all coaches didnt come out and support ivan cleary
**** them too. If you expect improvement, it takes unity , not sitting on your hands

Parra, Roosters and Melbourne can push. Also anyone who is playing Manly, the Titans or Warriors. It's in Appendix E of the rule book "Shaping the Competition".

The players see scrums as a breather as opposed to scrimmage.
The refs constantly paint themselves into corners by either neglecting or scrutinising particular rules. I am sooooo over the refs and there game management ****.

**** em

Pissed that all coaches didnt come out and support ivan cleary
**** them too. If you expect improvement, it takes unity , not sitting on your hands
The Penrith CEO has called for the scrapping of post-match coach conferences, and I can understand why.

Interestingly Annersley said this about coaches comments:

“Coaches are allowed to disagree with decisions, we don’t say that you have to go to a press conference and say the referee got all the decisions in the game right,” Annesley said in his weekly football briefing on Monday.

“But where the line in the sand is, is that no one can make a comment that in any way indicates that the referees have done anything other than make a completely un-neutral decision based on what they think they saw.

“There can be no insinuation or reference to match officials doing anything other than trying to control the game to their best of their abilities and that’s the difference. (laughable)

“Coaches have got an awful amount of licence to disagree with decisions they just have to be careful not to stray into the area of suggesting that the referees are doing anything other than refereeing what they see and how they interpret it on the field.”

- I didn't know that. I thought anything said negative about the refs was fine worthy.

So it is ok for a coach to say "I think he was being neutral...but the ref stuffed up 10 mistakes, and made so many errors. I disagree with his decisions. - and that is ok.

Can 2V get a refund? All he said was there were many mistakes and someone has to be accountable. There has to be an investigation. He didn't say the refs cheated!!!!

Though it's interesting how "Hollywood" Bill says they go into games with pre-conceived ideas about the usual M.O of many players. That is a very bad way to ref, and shows refs aren't officiating the game to the best of their abilities and "on what they see in front of them."

Gawd...these refs are rubbish!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2