Scrums and the ball being out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
I have watched several games this year where scrum infringements havebeen penalise particularly for players breaking early.

In fact the rule this year was supposed to be very strict around it.

With that said rewarch the cowboys game.
There was one scrum in particular where the ref was yelling at them to hold and they all ran up 2 - 3 metres and were in line with the scrum. They were very clearly offside and then they yell OUT so my question is, under any reading of the rule, how were the cowboys not offside?

The Cowboys were caught off side at the scrum. The ref called them to come back but refused to penalise them.

Meanwhile Manly were penalised for a 50/50 call on a player being in front at the kick off.

Then later when Manly sent a kick off out on the full, Thurston took the penalty kick for touch 3m on Manly's side of the half way line.

ive noticed we hold the ball in the scrum to bring opposition players forward, they were obviously off side. Still not good enough from the refs, its becoming sad how much crap we as a club get dealt with by them. Crap i remember back to when steve clark allowed the cowboys to kick off when hicksy was still in their half. when will it end !?

It will end when we get someone in charge of the NRL who will insist on a higher standard of refereeing. At the moment we have an idiot in charge who is mates of drunks who drive, and an apologist for all things, except those that really matter (see various threads on the Stewart saga). When the clubs get some collective balls and kick that drone out, then some real positive change may occur. Why Harrigan was put in charge of refs is beyond me. He's an over inflated egoist who sees inconsistency as a virtue. 'Let the game flow', is his mantra, except when nitpicking when kick-offs and other trivial issues occur. On the scrum issue, if you are not allowed to break before the ball is out of the scrum, why then can a lock pick up the ball at his feet and go with it? The rules need enforcing or abandoned. Just stop the inconsistency.

im suprised most teams dont try the hold on to it for a while thing, its perfectly legal

Copa eagle, I remember that! I was so pissed off I sent an email to the foxsports coverage. of course they hadn't even noticed it in commentary. the ball went right to where hicksy wasn't and they got it and scored to win the game.

DSM5 said:
On the scrum issue, if you are not allowed to break before the ball is out of the scrum, why then can a lock pick up the ball at his feet and go with it? The rules need enforcing or abandoned. Just stop the inconsistency.

You've always been able to do that haven't you? I thought the moment the lock disengaged the ball was then out. Don't see a problem with it.

Daniel said:
I have watched several games this year where scrum infringements havebeen penalise particularly for players breaking early.

In fact the rule this year was supposed to be very strict around it.

It's the same every year when new rules come in, they're very strict the first 4 or 5 games then go soft on it until the last few rounds and finals where crack down on it again.

I'm sure they could penalise each team another 20 times each a game, (maybe us only another 5 times) but do we really want to see the game turn in Union? The worst thing when watching physical sport I reckon is seeing soft penalties.

That was a pretty weak effort from the refs. The whole Cowboys line was off side yet no penalty. I don't know why.

It's not so much the ball being out but their line was at least 5m offside meaning foran grabbed it from the scrum and was immediately tackled

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7