Scott Penn - Proving a lot of people wrong

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
I was a fervent critic at first but I'm happy to eat my words. This bloke handles himself with class and despite putting some noses out of joint has set this great club on the right track. the quality of the signings are great, he's made the tough decision to let Gifty/Watmough go (great call as both were proven to be over the hill at their respective clubs), memberships are up and he seems to be one of the movers and shakers with Politis/Doyle and co representing the clubs at the NRL.

The latest deal to sign Tapau and let Ballin go to the Tigers is a master stroke . Matty has been a hell of a player, but clearly way way past his best. At the same time we have Parcell/Korasau both signed up,Hodges waiting in the wings.

Last edited:
I hope you are right, but don't count your chickens before they hatch. There are plenty of variables in 2016. Just because a player is great at one club doesn't always mean he will excel at his new club, See Watmough, Blair, Idris, Craig Field, Kimmorley etc. Culture is key at any successful club and we don't have one anymore & are starting fresh. Trent Barrett has no NRL experience and has failed missing the finals at most of his previous coaching jobs so he is also an unknown quantity. I will give credit, back slaps and will happy to be proved wrong.

it ways quantums (and tooveys) decision to let glenn go, which i what got him sacked*.....by scott penn.

* what penn claimed, even though we all know tooveys backed quantum and not penn
Toovey backed who could help him make us the best we could be,he picked manly and had no interest in the politics just our betterment

If the Penns had 4 votes he'd have sided with them

I hope you are right, but don't count your chickens before they hatch. There are plenty of variables in 2016. Just because a player is great at one club doesn't always mean he will excel at his new club, See Watmough, Blair, Idris, Craig Field, Kimmorley etc. Culture is key at any successful club and we don't have one anymore & are starting fresh. Trent Barrett has no NRL experience and has failed missing the finals at most of his previous coaching jobs so he is also an unknown quantity. I will give credit, back slaps and will happy to be proved wrong.
We don't have a culture?????? I suspect Snake, Killer, Matai et al would disagree with you there. Beaver will be involved, Bozo is there and a culture like ours doesn't depart with one coach and a handful of players like Watmough.

If your logic was right we would have been stuffed when the likes of Alan Thompson was unceremoniously dumped.

That's why emotions never run companies. Without Penn we are the Bears, long gone. Tiny junior base, minimal local fans, tiny home crowds, dilapidated and loss making ground, negative council and small membership. NRL would be happy to see us go and bring in a huge growth development team like 2nd QLD team. Let Penn make the financial decisions so we can always have a team.

Wow! Scott Penn is now the messiah. It blows me away how quickly some on here forget the facts and reapportion credit in the glow of a superstar signing.

It is well documented it was Toovey's decision re Gift and Watmough. He paid the ultimate price for these decisions.

As for signing Tapau and letting go of Ballin being a master stroke. How would you describe signing Ballin to a further 2 years only a few months ago? I guess the credit for that can go somewhere else too.

I renewed my membership. I'm also thrilled we got Tapau. What I think of Scott Penn? Well I'll c u next Tuesday.

Exactly, a few posters have told me on here that Barrett can't coach, so don't expect any success next year.

What happened with Tooves was unfortunate. Any fan that wasn't sad to see him go in the way he did would not be a Manly fan. However things happen in clubs, personalities take over , senior players have a huge influence in what happens on and off the field. The reality is Scott Penn is much more vital than Tooves or any other individual to Manly's medium and long term future, and my post was to recognise that there is clear evidence that he is having an influence in terms of those positive outcomes I listed above.

That's why emotions never run companies. Without Penn we are the Bears, long gone. Tiny junior base, minimal local fans, tiny home crowds, dilapidated and loss making ground, negative council and small membership. NRL would be happy to see us go and bring in a huge growth development team like 2nd QLD team. Let Penn make the financial decisions so we can always have a team.

Can't argue with any of that...

as I said before.
I know its his business but I wont retract any of my bagging of Penn, Kelly and Bozo and the Fat Greek Leak.... MY opinion is they have been @rseholes this year and that will never change. Cant bag Barrett as he has done nothing yet.
I hate the involvement The Fat Greek has in the club and he has shown his hand at being a divisive turd. If he bleeds maroon and white like some say, he has a strange way of showing it.

As a supporter I am excited by what's happened, but will never forget what has happened.

We don't have a culture?????? I suspect Snake, Killer, Matai et al would disagree with you there. Beaver will be involved, Bozo is there and a culture like ours doesn't depart with one coach and a handful of players like Watmough.

If your logic was right we would have been stuffed when the likes of Alan Thompson was unceremoniously dumped.

Good call. Unfortunately tough decisions sometimes have to be made. But from where I see it they have been the right ones. Can't remember being so excited about the coming season ahead.

I was a fervent critic at first but I'm happy to eat my words. This blok handles himself with class and despite putting some noses out of joint has set this great club on the right track. the quality of the signings are great, he's made the tough decision to let Gifty/Watmough go (great call as both were proven to be over the hill at their respective clubs), memberships are up and he seems to be one of the movers and shakers with Politis/Doyle and co representing the clubs at the NRL.

The latest deal to sign Tapau and let Ballin go to the Tigers is a master stroke . Matty has been a hell of a player, but clearly way way past his best. At the same time we have Parcell/Korasau both signed up,Hodges waiting in the wings.
The Penns have a right to run this club as they see fit. Their actions have at times been difficult to understand and follow.

The challenge for them is to end the dysfunction that has stymied our club especially the last 2 years.

I am still not pleased with the feeble excuses they used to dismiss Toovey and the unfairness of blaming him for the demise of the club. League is a tough sport and clubs are now forced to make massive calls, for the Tigpies to let Taupau go illustrates that.

The Penn clan will be judged by the teams performance. I want to back the new coach and team and see if they can get it back on track.

I thank the Penn clan for their investment into our club. They have their challenges to deal with . Brookvale oval has to be resolved one way or another, the impasse with the council has to be fixed up and frankly I dont want to hear any more plans about Brookvale I want to see it actually happen. We also need a major sponsor for next year and hopefully we will have something in place soon.

The Manly spirit is priceless. The Penns may well be the current custodians of our club but they will never own the Manly spirit, that be longs to every player, past and present, officials, coaches, fans, members and the people of the northern beaches of Sydney.

Wow! Scott Penn is now the messiah. It blows me away how quickly some on here forget the facts and reapportion credit in the glow of a superstar signing.

It is well documented it was Toovey's decision re Gift and Watmough. He paid the ultimate price for these decisions.

As for signing Tapau and letting go of Ballin being a master stroke. How would you describe signing Ballin to a further 2 years only a few months ago? I guess the credit for that can go somewhere else too.

I renewed my membership. I'm also thrilled we got Tapau. What I think of Scott Penn? Well I'll c u next Tuesday.
Here is the go - good management can make a good decision and that's it. Excellent management can make a **** one, realise it and rectify it. That is what happened with Ballin. They thought they were doing the right thing with his extension, things changed and it was no longer the direction they wanted to go so they made a call and changed tact.

People who refuse to change and adapt get left behind. That is why so many clubs enter a rebuild phase and never recover. Ours took one season which in league is amazing.

I was a fervent critic at first but I'm happy to eat my words. This blok handles himself with class and despite putting some noses out of joint has set this great club on the right track. the quality of the signings are great, he's made the tough decision to let Gifty/Watmough go (great call as both were proven to be over the hill at their respective clubs), memberships are up and he seems to be one of the movers and shakers with Politis/Doyle and co representing the clubs at the NRL.

No one really disputes the fact we needed changes. However there was no class shown making them,

People are having a go at others for being upbeat and positive, claiming these same people were the naysayers at some point. Why can't it be both though?

Like I said, I loved Ballin, and think what happened to him sucks. I also loved Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough as well !! Foran I was glad to see the back of considering his undermining of the coach, club and culture.

I never liked Toovey for my own reasons (and the only person who would know why is Shane Dunley, it was a private moment between us), and also something Brent Kite said to me - but they are my reasons. That said, I thought while he had some flaws as a coach (especially defensively out wide, ruck speed, and attitude - ability to play 80 minutes) he was treated atrociously.

BUT, can't we all just look forward with hope and positivity? We have a whole new group of players who sound like they want to be here? Jeez, imagine a player grabbed the emblem and kissed it after a try like some do ! We seem to be pulling in the same direction now as a club. Lets give the players, coach and owners a shot at rebuilding this thing.

I'm happy to allow the results to do the talking, but I'm giving them three years, like Des and Geoff were allowed. Like Max and the waste company were afforded.

One thing though, is I hope there is a leadership group created, including Penn, Barrett, Zorba (just to alleviate his trouble making) and Kelly to speak about staffing and players (and this seems to be happening now).

No more "leaks or BS". That's what has cruelled our culture. Be professional like The Bronco's. Do you ever hear the squabbles there? These back office clowns need to become professional (Reilly, Zorba, Penn - anyone who can keep info to themselves).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4