The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It’s in the grand final, put that way. We knew enough about him to gamble responsibly.
Not to take your hyperbole too literally but I do think you're buying into the Fox & co sensationalism, which is mostly so blatantly phony, and especially annoying when it is anti-Manly, ie as in this case. 'Manly made the worst ever contract, what a ****-show of a club!'

Others have mentioned worse contracts, there's a mile of them really, Reynolds/Packer/Adam Blair etc at Wests, Sherwin's 5 year deal at Dogs, it goes on and on.

Anyway I look at it this way - we've lost (supposedly) 200k per year for the next 3 years, on a gamble to sign long-term a potential generational talent. Which equates to signing him for 200k/year and him never making it out of reserve grade, but better than that because we've got a vacant spot in the top 30. Yes the gamble failed - but given the minimum deal is 120k, and given there may have been good reasons to offer him an extension (we're not privy to all the factors) I see it as a failed gamble but hardly a disastrous one. If we were stuck with 800k out of our cap for 3 years I'd agree with you, but that was always just the media spin (imo)

Paying a player a million dollars over four years (400k + 200k + 200k + 200k) without getting any first grade football out of them, sounds like the worst deal ever negotiated to me. I wouldn’t be blaming the journos. We knew Schu had issues and re-signed him anyway. Less than a year later, he is gone and we’ve blown a mil. Sounds dumb to me.
If we knew then what we know now .. I doubt that we would have signed him.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Just sayin’

Worst contract ever?

What click bait.

Worse than Ash Taylor at the titans? Choc at the Eels? Just off the top of my head
Well at least Taylor and Watmough contributed to their respective teams at some point,however minimal someone may think.Schuster won’t play a minute for his $200K+ a season for three years

To try and prove all the doubters wrong I wouldn't be surprised to see him get motivated for awhile but I doubt he can sustain it long term. I hope I'm wrong.

Well at least Taylor and Watmough contributed to their respective teams at some point,however minimal someone may think.Schuster won’t play a minute for his $200K+ a season for three years
Watmough signed a 4 year $750k p.a. deal back when the salary cap was $6.55M (it's now $11.65M). He played 17 games mostly as a passenger. Not sure if it was directly linked but it was also the year they breached the salary cap, were fined $1M, docked 12 points and striped of the Auckland 9s title and prize money. Safe to say it's got 4 years at $250k for nothing covered.

Stated from day one his body shape will not hold up to the pace of the game as a 5/8 and long term the effort to keep in good enough shape would be too mentally draining to keep under control leading to inconsistent performances and injuries.

Sure the death of a close friend is going to impact him mentally big time, but let's not forget the attitude was "inconsistent and patchy" before that also.

Had a decent enough year playing in the forwards under Des and should of targeted his body and fitness in this area to become one of the best all round forwards in the game. Seeing the forwards as a backwards step(less glamorous and more dirty work involved) compared to being a flashy 5/8 is his biggest problem, he needs a reality check that is all.

Go to Bellamy if he seriously wants to harden up, go to England if you want more game time to display your silky ball skills consistently and develop your game under less intense pressure,a change of environment to mature will do him the world of good.

Can return as a mature ball playing forward in his late 20's that knows his physical limitations better.

Yes it was a ridiculous decision to sign him long term, "obvious" from the start.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8